• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Can anyone tell me a little bit about these communities? I have the impression Cottages of Camp Creek is where Paula has two cottages, but can't say for sure. I'm asking with regard to rental history, quality of construction, etc. We're headed down the week after Christmas and will take a look then, but I was searching for some opinions from homeowners in the communities as well as realtors and locals. Any thoughts? (our interest is for a vacation rental property). I'm not looking for opinions on whether we should buy a vacation rental property, but rather information about these two communities. Thanks in advance.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Can anyone tell me a little bit about these communities? I have the impression Cottages of Camp Creek is where Paula has two cottages, but can't say for sure. I'm asking with regard to rental history, quality of construction, etc. We're headed down the week after Christmas and will take a look then, but I was searching for some opinions from homeowners in the communities as well as realtors and locals. Any thoughts? (our interest is for a vacation rental property). I'm not looking for opinions on whether we should buy a vacation rental property, but rather information about these two communities. Thanks in advance.

Hi melscuba:

Yes, I have two side-by-side cottages at the Cottages at Camp Creek. I love them and they are good rentals. Some of what I mention about location is the same for Magnolia Cottages because they are nearby. Here's what I like about the Cottages at Camp Creek:

• The cottagy-style of the cottages (and the colors of the cottages). The builders/architects did a great job putting 3 bedrooms/2 baths in the one story cottages (which is what I have). They seem spacious enough without wasting space. I don't know as much about the larger 2-3 story cottages in the front and back of the community. When I bought the cottages, the inspector said they were well-built. I've had once since 2003 and one since 2004 and all is still in great shape. I've painted the white trim once. I'll paint the inside in about 3 years, but the paint still looks good. I like the hardiplank outside which needs to be painted less often than other outside construction materials.
  • The really big porches.
  • The pool is huge for a small community (It's long enough to do laps and feel like you're getting a work out)
  • The hot tub is nice
  • The native landscaping. It's a simple beach community that's very well kept up. The simplicity of the cottages, landscaping, area enable you to feel like it's just you, the people you're with, nature, and the beach are all you need for the good life.
  • Each cottage has parking for 2 cars, as well as some extra parking in the front of the community.
  • There are no restaurants, etc., in the community or right nearby so there is little traffic - only owners and guests.
  • The road in front isn't as busy as other parts of 30A
  • All the windows - they make the cottages light and bright.
  • Proximity to the beach (5 minute walk, about 200 yards)
  • Low home-owner fees (about $450/quarter)
  • Really good board - they're proactive and are invested in keeping the quality of the Cottages at Camp Creek and the beach access
  • There's a sense of space (great for looking up at the stars at night from the pool or hot tub)) because most of the cottages are one story, with 6 bigger ones in back and in front.
  • Not built up around us - small condo complexes but nothing huge. I suspect there may be some building on the east side of them at some point because it looks like there's an empty lot there. But there shouldn't be building in back or on the west side because the golf course is in the back and there are already homes on the west side.
  • Close to Alys Beach (1/2 mile) that has Fonville Press Coffee Shop, George's restaurant, Charlie's donut truck (only open in summer it seems, maybe it's open in the spring, too), Calysa Pool restaurant. When it gets built out, it is supposed to have an amphitheater that will have events, and it already has some good events (Friday after beach wine and appetizers, for example, in the summer and maybe other times of year).
  • Close to Rosemary Beach (1.2 miles - nice to walk around and some good shops and restaurants) and Villages of South Walton.
  • Nice bike riding locally, including going to the different communities and especially biking to Dear Lake State Park (about 2 miles).
  • Family-friendly - the cottages are a good size for families and yet don't feel too big for just one or two people.
  • Kitchens well laid out.
  • They will be relatively close to the new Panama City airport
  • They are 4 miles from Seagrove, 6 miles from Seaside, 10 miles from Grayton Beach.
  • They rent well, though the rentals don't cover all yearly expenses. Both cottages are pretty full (to full) in the spring, full in the summer, spotty rentals in the fall, almost no rentals in Nov./Dec., and are rented with snowbirds January/February/part of March (snowbirds get rentals in this area for a song - usually the equivalent of one summer week cost for one month in the winter.) I have several repeat renters.

My reasons for buying the two side-by-side one story cottages were (1) they would be easy to maintain because they're just one story (e.g., washing windows, painting, power-washing, putting up wooden window protection if a hurricane is coming); (2) I can stay in one and rent the other out at the same time; (3) people can rent the two together when travelling with friends and family and be together yet be able to go back to their own cottage for privacy/quiet family time; (4) if I ever have to or want to sell one, I can still keep the other without losing the sense of home and place that we've created over the years at the Cottages at Camp Creek.

A few downsides (that don't bother me but could bother someone else).

1. I prefer the units that have the air conditioner/furnace on the same floor as the rest of the cottage, not in the attic. I have one of each and it's just a bit of a pain to get into the attic (I don't do it; a maintenance person does it, but it seems like it would be annoying to me). the advantage, they say, is having it in the attic adds a little floor space, but I'd still rather have it on the first floor.
2. The beach access is high up on a dune. Only a problem for people who have problems navigating stairs. I always tell renters who are travelling with elderly people that there are stairs leading to the beach so that they're aware of it. It's usually not a problem, but it can be for some people.

What I like about Magnolia (If I didn't buy at the Cottages at Camp Creek, I would have looked at Magnolia)

• the style of the cottages
  • the location (about 1/4 mile west of Cottages at Camp Creek)
  • the screened in porch
  • the brick roads
  • the
native landscaping

I hope this is helpful. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I thought about first. PM me if you want more info or if you have specific questions.

Best,
Paula

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Thank you for the information Paula. I will pm later wiith some more detailed questions :D
In the mean time. Does anyone have insight on Magnolia Cottages by the Sea? What about comparison of these communities for rentals and long term investment?

Lisa Ruby

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
SoWal
www.rosemarybeachsales.com
I love Magnolia Cottages! Given similar locations and amenities, I believe the better long term investment will be Magnolia.
Six were sold this year, some as short sales or foreclosures and ranging in price from 299,000-373,000.

There are currently three listed, all around 1500 square feet, 3 bdrm, 3 bath. List prices range from 335,000-409,000.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
You really need to go visit both communities. Sounds like Magnolia cottages are bigger (e.g., 1500 versus 1100 for the one story at Cottages at Camp Creek - though there are bigger ones at the front and back of CCC). The one story cottages at the Cottages at Camp Creek are less expensive than the Magnolia cottages because they are smaller, though I love the layout with 3 bedrooms/2 baths with the large porch. Plenty of room with a small footprint. The large size of the CCC pool is a real bonus.

I think both communities will be similar investments so that would be less of an issue for me. I don't know why one would be a better investment than the other - they are different but quality seems about the same. A building inspector will give you information about the quality of construction, and that would be important to me. For me, I would consider personal preferences based on the size and style of the cottages, the layout of the community, proximity to the beach from the cottages you are interested in (some are closer than others to the beach), and whether the pool meets your needs (proximity, size, etc.).

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
I love Magnolia Cottages! Given similar locations and amenities, I believe the better long term investment will be Magnolia.
Six were sold this year, some as short sales or foreclosures and ranging in price from 299,000-373,000.

There are currently three listed, all around 1500 square feet, 3 bdrm, 3 bath. List prices range from 335,000-409,000.

I have a hard time finding the Magnolia Cottages on the search engines I use. I was only aware of one on the market and haven't asked my realtor yet.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
You really need to go visit both communities. Sounds like Magnolia cottages are bigger (e.g., 1500 versus 1100 for the one story at Cottages at Camp Creek - though there are bigger ones at the front and back of CCC). The one story cottages at the Cottages at Camp Creek are less expensive than the Magnolia cottages because they are smaller, though I love the layout with 3 bedrooms/2 baths with the large porch. Plenty of room with a small footprint. The large size of the CCC pool is a real bonus.

I think both communities will be similar investments so that would be less of an issue for me. I don't know why one would be a better investment than the other - they are different but quality seems about the same. A building inspector will give you information about the quality of construction, and that would be important to me. For me, I would consider personal preferences based on the size and style of the cottages, the layout of the community, proximity to the beach from the cottages you are interested in (some are closer than others to the beach), and whether the pool meets your needs (proximity, size, etc.).

I thought the same as you and was curious about opinions on construction. A pool is a must, as well as deeded beach access. We've already determined the smaller one story cottages in Camp Creek are intriguing... same with Magnolia. I'm huge on outdoor living space, so I guess we'll just have to take a look. Am I safe to assume both are family oriented so late pool partying is not much of an issue? Guess I'm a stick in the mud, but children up late because of loud music and laughter doesn't sound like too much fun.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
I thought the same as you and was curious about opinions on construction. A pool is a must, as well as deeded beach access. We've already determined the smaller one story cottages in Camp Creek are intriguing... same with Magnolia. I'm huge on outdoor living space, so I guess we'll just have to take a look. Am I safe to assume both are family oriented so late pool partying is not much of an issue? Guess I'm a stick in the mud, but children up late because of loud music and laughter doesn't sound like too much fun.

I think that both Magnolia and Cottages at Camp Creek have nice outdoor space around their cottages and I like the native landscaping at both. I think both have a sense of space to them. I LOVE sitting on the porch nestled in the natural landscape. I get up in the early mornings and just sit there with a cup of tea and something to read - it's great. Then I go to the beach. In the summer, I'll swim laps at the pool in between porch time and beach time. Ok, now you're making me miss the cottages even though I was just there!

There are a lot of windows surrounding our cottages so we feel connected to the outdoors when we're indoors.

I know Cottages at Camp Creek is family-oriented and the pool is supposed to close at 10:00 pm. We've been in there later sometimes, as long as we're quiet. I haven't had a problem with noise, but our cottages aren't right on top of the pool either - their 2-3 cottages away from the pool which is perfect for us. There are renters in both communities in the summer, so there's more activity then. I was just there this past weekend and it was so quiet. Lovely. See, there you go again, making me wish I was back there!

Definitely pm me if you have other questions.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
I think that both Magnolia and Cottages at Camp Creek have nice outdoor space around their cottages and I like the native landscaping at both. I think both have a sense of space to them. I LOVE sitting on the porch nestled in the natural landscape. I get up in the early mornings and just sit there with a cup of tea and something to read - it's great. Then I go to the beach. In the summer, I'll swim laps at the pool in between porch time and beach time. Ok, now you're making me miss the cottages even though I was just there!

There are a lot of windows surrounding our cottages so we feel connected to the outdoors when we're indoors.

I know Cottages at Camp Creek is family-oriented and the pool is supposed to close at 10:00 pm. We've been in there later sometimes, as long as we're quiet. I haven't had a problem with noise, but our cottages aren't right on top of the pool either - their 2-3 cottages away from the pool which is perfect for us. There are renters in both communities in the summer, so there's more activity then. I was just there this past weekend and it was so quiet. Lovely. See, there you go again, making me wish I was back there!

Definitely pm me if you have other questions.

You're making me miss 30-A too!