• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
After listening to about two hours of comment at the meeting last night, it sounded pretty clear that the 'Cypress Dunes access' would not likely ever get beyond the bluprint stage due to state regulations and law. I was also only roughly familiar with the distances that would be involved with a trip to the beach there, which, as it turns out, would be a hike so unappealing and impractical that it would likely make the access worthless if the goal is to shunt west end beachgoers away from some of the other nearby access points. The boardwalk would be longer than the one found at Deer Lake, and that is a pretty long trek if you were to attempt it with even a modest amount of beach stuff and kids in tow. I think the practical solutions to help access the west end beach are to market the benefits of utilizing the state park itself or buying land somewhere nearby that could be used for parking, facilites and walkover.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
For some people, it would still be a shortcut to the beach (a much shorter cut). Actually, if my understanding is correct, the shortcut currently exists in the form of a path that's a little bit difficult to navigate. Technically you're not supposed to walk on it, but I've never been much of a technician.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I , actually, have almost no direct knowledge of this situation, but I thought Skunky sounded so logical. I walkway longer than Deer Lake walkway sounds too much. Maybe a shuttle using drones would be more practical?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Put it this way. A lot of people in the surrounding area might want to walk to the beach. Right now they might have to walk two to three miles. The walkway might reduce it down to 1/3 of a mile. No one wants to ride a shuttle. Once you're in Topsail, you still have to walk a long way to the beach you know?

Not everyone needs a side by side refrigerator freezer and gas generator (or even worse, a Yeti) on the beach. Some people just need a towel. A quick 5 min bike ride to the walkover and maybe a 5 min walk to the beach for me. If I'm allowed to ride the bike on the walkover, or at the very least, get away with it, that's even better. My beach access time is much less, so is the amount of physical exertion. Plus I get a nice walkover, which as I stated earlier, that's the best place to enjoy the beach. Now can I enjoy a beer on the walkover or at the very least get away with it? I don't think it would be officially part of the State Park, so I would say probably yes. If that's a win for me and a loss for some full-of-crap-tree-hugging hippies, so be it. What's the environmental expense? You have a raised path above an existing path on the outer edge of a preserve that allows people to easily enjoy the wonders of nature that they're all so high on. I'm with them on that part. Other than that, they're not making much sense. I wish people would quit spreading false information (or possibly lying) saying that it would only be for people in the gated community. This could be of benefit to lots of locals in the area.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
After listening to about two hours of comment at the meeting last night, it sounded pretty clear that the 'Cypress Dunes access' would not likely ever get beyond the bluprint stage due to state regulations and law. I was also only roughly familiar with the distances that would be involved with a trip to the beach there, which, as it turns out, would be a hike so unappealing and impractical that it would likely make the access worthless if the goal is to shunt west end beachgoers away from some of the other nearby access points. The boardwalk would be longer than the one found at Deer Lake, and that is a pretty long trek if you were to attempt it with even a modest amount of beach stuff and kids in tow. I think the practical solutions to help access the west end beach are to market the benefits of utilizing the state park itself or buying land somewhere nearby that could be used for parking, facilites and walkover.

Thanks for the update Doc!

LOVE our State Parks!!!!!

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Here's the current walk from the furthest point in Flamingo Village:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/30....3601896,-86.2684773,15z/data=!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

The proposal would simply shift the same walk through a protected state park. It's a red herring and a complete waste of money by the county/TDC.

If you think the opposition was big last night wait until this hits public hearings in Tallahassee.

Your map says Stallworth Blvd is a restricted usage road. Thats the endpoint of the journey. I think it's private. I'll find out.

Seaducer

Banned
Jan 17, 2008
Destin
just to be clear now, I have one question for the environmental power rangers.

building a DUNE WALKOVER over an existing path cut thru the existing dunes and vegetation as we have now is more destructive to your way of thinking?