• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Ho-boy, time to dust off the tin foil berets again:roll:

Fluoridation of drinking water is safe. Fluoridation of drinking water is beneficial to public health. Period.

Wingnuts have been trying to blame every malady known to man on water fluoridation, but as is always the case in these type scares, the proof for cause and effect is lacking (closely related scares are vaccination and aspartame).

So while there is no shortage of worthless websites that can be posted here to scare the bejeezum out of people regrding fluoride, I will post one from the CDC that has cited case studies for reference, and there is no pitch for herbal remedy/detox crap to 'rid your body of fluoride' anywhere to be found.

Safety - Community Water Fluoridation - Oral Health

If you want to prove there is a link between fluoridated water and bad health, it would be easy enough as municipal water is only partially fluoridated in the Florida panhandle. If the assertions put forth by the cuckoobirds are true, we could expect to see a signifigantly less healthy populace in the 'fluoridated sample' versus that in the 'unfluoridated sample'. Of course, this will prove to be impossible, so back to posting links to junk websites. Oh well.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
While we are on the topic of local water, I have heard some interesting nuggets about the amount of chlorine in our water, specifically, that it is more chlorinated than a typical swimming pool. Anyone care to comment or correct that notion?

And, for those of you who are proponents of fluoridation, do you supplement to make up for the deficit in our water supply? Do the local dentists give children fluoride treatments?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Ho-boy, time to dust off the tin foil berets again:roll:

Fluoridation of drinking water is safe. Fluoridation of drinking water is beneficial to public health. Period.

Wingnuts have been trying to blame every malady known to man on water fluoridation, but as is always the case in these type scares, the proof for cause and effect is lacking (closely related scares are vaccination and aspartame).

So while there is no shortage of worthless websites that can be posted here to scare the bejeezum out of people regrding fluoride, I will post one from the CDC that has cited case studies for reference, and there is no pitch for herbal remedy/detox crap to 'rid your body of fluoride' anywhere to be found.

Safety - Community Water Fluoridation - Oral Health

If you want to prove there is a link between fluoridated water and bad health, it would be easy enough as municipal water is only partially fluoridated in the Florida panhandle. If the assertions put forth by the cuckoobirds are true, we could expect to see a signifigantly less healthy populace in the 'fluoridated sample' versus that in the 'unfluoridated sample'. Of course, this will prove to be impossible, so back to posting links to junk websites. Oh well.

Thanks for leaving the country club early to post this. :wave:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Local dentists do give fluoride treatments. The problem is that dentists are few and far between in this community. A further complication is that there are not many dentists who participate with insurance companies, and every dentist I'm aware of requires payment in full at the time of service. They also require a full set of x-rays at a pretty high mark-up for an initial visit. Dental care is cost prohibitive to the working poor and those who just manage to get by, and for those on Medicaid it is virtually impossible to find a dentist willing to accept Medicaid.

We forget that we live in a big county, and most of the people who live in Walton County do so on $26,000 a year or less. Many, many people do not have access to adequate dental care. In many communities, there is a belief that the baby teeth will just fall out, so there is no point in taking a child to the dentist. There are so many areas I've come across where the children have little brown teeth and cover their mouths when they smile. I also personally know of two children from different families in our community who went to bed tonight with major dental pain from abscesses and exposed pulp, and will go to bed in pain for at least a couple of weeks waiting for a Medicaid slot to open for one and a church to raise money for the other.

If we can't tolerate the easy solution to the problem -- fluorinated water -- then we should have the decency to insure these children have access to dental care.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
The elementary schools give you the option of giving your child fluoride throughout the school year. I don't remember how often. This was as of 2 years ago. I don't know if the program is ongoing.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
Local dentists do give fluoride treatments. The problem is that dentists are few and far between in this community. A further complication is that there are not many dentists who participate with insurance companies, and every dentist I'm aware of requires payment in full at the time of service. They also require a full set of x-rays at a pretty high mark-up for an initial visit. Dental care is cost prohibitive to the working poor and those who just manage to get by, and for those on Medicaid it is virtually impossible to find a dentist willing to accept Medicaid.

We forget that we live in a big county, and most of the people who live in Walton County do so on $26,000 a year or less. Many, many people do not have access to adequate dental care. In many communities, there is a belief that the baby teeth will just fall out, so there is no point in taking a child to the dentist. There are so many areas I've come across where the children have little brown teeth and cover their mouths when they smile. I also personally know of two children from different families in our community who went to bed tonight with major dental pain from abscesses and exposed pulp, and will go to bed in pain for at least a couple of weeks waiting for a Medicaid slot to open for one and a church to raise money for the other.

If we can't tolerate the easy solution to the problem -- fluorinated water -- then we should have the decency to insure these children have access to dental care.

Rapunzel -

In all fairness, don't you think you're leaving a major factor out of your equation? Sugar?

It's pretty well known that the cheaper foods are commonly "packed" with sugar and these foods become very popular when income evades. Look at Walmart's earnings compared to say, Fresh Market. And I also think it's pretty well known that refined sugar "attacks the bones", starting with the teeth.

And there's plenty of things the state could do for our children, but doesn't. I'd be more than happy to apply more of my tax dollars to our children and even pay more, but unfortunately the government seems to have free rein lately - let's just say their kinda hard to talk to.

Maybe in an indirect way this thread will start some kind of awareness and action for the children that need it. But please don't make us all drink their fluorinated water.:D

(Wow - that last guy was kinda loud!)

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I grew up taking fluoride tablets because our rural well water wasn't fluoridated, then moved to a "city area" where our water had flouride in it.

Amazingly, I have good teeth and have not suffered major health problems or needed a new age cleanse to correct this craziness. :roll:

P.S. Most people need a severe reality check as to what dangerous stuff in their water REALLY is. If it's plentiful, clear and you don't have to strain floaties or sediment out of it, you are doing better than most of the planet!