• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
My parents were hippies and severely restricted our access to refined sugar. I grew up in Tallahassee and they didn't go to fluoridated water until the early 90's. Prior to that I was practically forced to take the fluoride treatments, first it was the little pills and then a moutwash in school. I am now 28 years old and have never had a single cavity nor any major health problem. However, I also floss at least once a day and brush at least twice a day. It seems to me that proper basic dental care (brushing, flossing, and even mouth wash) would be the easiest way to prevent problems. That is regardless of pro/con on fluoride. I don't like the discoloration that fluoride gave my teeth, but I'd rather have that then giant holes or no teeth.

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
My parents were hippies and severely restricted our access to refined sugar. I grew up in Tallahassee and they didn't go to fluoridated water until the early 90's. Prior to that I was practically forced to take the fluoride treatments, first it was the little pills and then a moutwash in school. I am now 28 years old and have never had a single cavity nor any major health problem. However, I also floss at least once a day and brush at least twice a day. It seems to me that proper basic dental care (brushing, flossing, and even mouth wash) would be the easiest way to prevent problems. That is regardless of pro/con on fluoride. I don't like the discoloration that fluoride gave my teeth, but I'd rather have that then giant holes or no teeth.

I would imagine you had a fun childhood in a loving environment.:clap:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

I agree about proper basic dental care (home and dentist visits), regarless of the fluoride issue. I've never experienced discoloration from fluoride though. (I read about this on one of those anti-fuoride links people listed here, but never knew about it. figured it was something that may happen if exposed to excessive fluoride - which none of us should be).

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I would imagine you had a fun childhood in a loving environment.:clap:

Very much so. I loved going to Montessori school when I was young.

you are completely right about proper basic dental care (home and dentist visits). totally agree. I've never seen anyone with discoloration from fluoride though. (I read about this on one of those anti-fuoride links people listed here, but never experienced it or knew about it. figured it was something that may happen if exposed to excessive fluoride - which none of us should be).

Okay, you've seen my teeth. It's not something you can spot right away or from a distance. It's something you have to be looking for in the mirror. Sorry if that freaked some people out. From a distance it's all pearly white.

rh

Beach Crab
Aug 28, 2005
The addition of flouride in the water allows the flouride to be incorporated in the tooth as it develops. The flouride prevents the tooth from decaying. The decrease in decay occurs wether the flouride is in the water or is taken as a supplement prescribed by your dentist or pedatrician and given by the parents to the child. Topical applications of flouride affect only the outermost areas of enamel. Due to the increased availabilty of soft drinks and sugar laden foods the population stands to see a marked increase in decay and lack of flouride to the general public based on socio economic standing {insurance and money for prescription flouride}.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Ho-boy, time to dust off the tin foil berets again:roll:

Fluoridation of drinking water is safe. Fluoridation of drinking water is beneficial to public health. Period.

Wingnuts have been trying to blame every malady known to man on water fluoridation, but as is always the case in these type scares, the proof for cause and effect is lacking (closely related scares are vaccination and aspartame).

So while there is no shortage of worthless websites that can be posted here to scare the bejeezum out of people regrding fluoride, I will post one from the CDC that has cited case studies for reference, and there is no pitch for herbal remedy/detox crap to 'rid your body of fluoride' anywhere to be found.

Safety - Community Water Fluoridation - Oral Health

If you want to prove there is a link between fluoridated water and bad health, it would be easy enough as municipal water is only partially fluoridated in the Florida panhandle. If the assertions put forth by the cuckoobirds are true, we could expect to see a signifigantly less healthy populace in the 'fluoridated sample' versus that in the 'unfluoridated sample'. Of course, this will prove to be impossible, so back to posting links to junk websites. Oh well.

Ever read this statement anywhere??--

"WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately."

Yep, it's on the back of virtually every tube of toothpaste because there is enough fluoride in only one tube of toothpaste to kill a child or make an adult very, very sick. Only one pea sized amount and THE FDA recommends going to a poison control center. Wow!

If that's not enough to convince you that fluoride is a very dangerous poisonous substance, then I don't know what is.

More and more docs, dentists and other scientists are jumping on the no fluoride band wagon because it is a very dangerous substance.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Ever read this statement anywhere??--

"WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately."

Yep, it's on the back of virtually every tube of toothpaste because there is enough fluoride in only one tube of toothpaste to kill a child or make an adult very, very sick. Only one pea sized amount and THE FDA recommends going to a poison control center. Wow!

If that's not enough to convince you that fluoride is a very dangerous poisonous substance, then I don't know what is.

More and more docs, dentists and other scientists are jumping on the no fluoride band wagon because it is a very dangerous substance.

I never let legal disclaimers frighten me.

Here is the actual data (which also includes supratherapeutic fluoride ingestion from non-dental products since sodium fluoride is a common ingredient in shhhhh vitamins and supplements) courtesy of the poison control center:

In 2006, the American Association of Poison Control Centers reported 22,168 exposures involving toothpaste with fluoride.1

Only 313 cases were actually treated in the emergency department. Moderate effects were seen in 45 cases. No cases of major adverse effects or death were reported.1

In 2006, 1802 exposures involving multiple vitamins with fluoride were reported.1

Only 61 cases were treated in the emergency department with no moderate or major effects noted.1

#

Bronstein AC, Spyker DA, Cantilena LR Jr, Green J, Rumack BH, Heard SE. 2006 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS). Clin Toxicol (Phila). Dec 2007;45(8):815-917. [Medline]. [Full Text].

Don't forget to brush tonight!:wave:

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
I never let legal disclaimers frighten me.

Here is the actual data (which also includes supratherapeutic fluoride ingestion from non-dental products since sodium fluoride is a common ingredient in shhhhh vitamins and supplements) courtesy of the poison control center:

In 2006, the American Association of Poison Control Centers reported 22,168 exposures involving toothpaste with fluoride.1

Only 313 cases were actually treated in the emergency department. Moderate effects were seen in 45 cases. No cases of major adverse effects or death were reported.1

In 2006, 1802 exposures involving multiple vitamins with fluoride were reported.1

Only 61 cases were treated in the emergency department with no moderate or major effects noted.1

#

Bronstein AC, Spyker DA, Cantilena LR Jr, Green J, Rumack BH, Heard SE. 2006 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS). Clin Toxicol (Phila). Dec 2007;45(8):815-917. [Medline]. [Full Text].

Don't forget to brush tonight!:wave:

The poison control center only collects data on the calls it takes. Therefore, the database certainly is not complete.

But, did you know--

Death may result from ingesting as little as 2 g of fluoride in an adult and 16 mg/kg in children. Symptoms may appear with 3-5 mg/kg of fluoride. (from emedicine-not a kook site) and there is approximately 4 mg per liter of water in typical fluoridated water. Over the course of one year, you typically drink more than 2 grams of fluoride if you drink fluoridated water and other drinks (coke, gatorade, etc) that use fluoridated water as a base.

OR, (from Pubmed medical database) A 10 kg child who ingests 50 mg fluoride (10.1 g 1.1% NaF gel; 32.7 g 0.63% SnF2 gel; 33.3 g 1,500 ppm F toothpaste; 50 g 1,000 ppm F toothpaste; and 221 mL 0.05% NaF rinse) will have ingested a probably toxic dose. Thats the equivalent of the fluoride in just 12 liters of fluoridated water.

There is scientific data all over the place that will tell you that fluoride is one of the most toxic substances on earth. Why do you think it is the major component of a huge number of lethal pesticides.

And, not to worry. I won't forget to brush with my non fluoridated toothpaste and rinse with my non fluoridated water. By the way, no cavities in 30 years.

Last edited: