• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks for the info...any chance of a pic of the moon over the gulf?? I remember one you did before that was so beautiful!:clap:
I've done a couple of full Moon shots, but they were over the dunes, not the Gulf. I bet you are thinking of Daddy-O's lunar pic, in which I was posing.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I've done a couple of full Moon shots, but they were over the dunes, not the Gulf. I bet you are thinking of Daddy-O's lunar pic, in which I was posing.

That is a good pic:D , but I found the one I was remembering. Go to Smiling Joe's pics on the member's photos. It is on Page 30, Western Lake March 14, 2006. The moon's reflection glistening is so beautiful!

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area
I understand that the Friday night's Full Moon will be the lowest this year, and will not be this low in the sky again until the year 2020.

Oh good heavens....my 'moon' has been sagging every year since I turned 25 and I dare say the only 'harvest moon' I will ever see in the future involves a bumper crop of taunts and ridicule.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
SJ, where did you find this info? I get e-mails about the happenings in the heavens, and didn't haven't seen anything except for a "blue moon" on Saturday which is 2 moons in a month and can be seen in India and Australia. We were able to see it in May. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Full moon is Saturday. When you say "lowest in the sky", do you mean "closest to earth"

http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moondays.php
No, I mean that the Moon is traveling in the lowest arc. In some places, in the USA, well north of here, the Moon will barely come over the horizon before it drops again out of sight. I believe I recall reading that the difference from this Moon and the highest Full Moon this year is around 53 degrees, which is a huge difference.

The Moon will not appear any different in size, it just has a very low arc path in the sky for this one.

Mango, I don't get emails on lunar happs, but I read this stuff in a book at the beginning of the year, the Farmer's Almanac, I believe.

Maybe the Moon being visible from Australia and India has something to do with the low orbit of the Moon. :dunno:

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Cool SJ. :clap: But were you reeeeallly looking at the moon? :scratch:

Last edited: