• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
http://www.wmbb.com/gulfcoastwest/mbb/news.apx.-content-articles-MBB-2007-03-22-0008.html

"The Walton County Sheriff's Office responded to a water rescue approximately 1pm today at Grayton Beach State Park. Emergency calls to 9-1-1 stated that there was an overturned kayak in the water that appears to be in trouble. Units from the Beach Patrol Unit immediately responded to the scene. It appears that an adult white male, approximately 55 years old, was kayaking with a juvenile boy, believed to be his son, when the kayak overturned. The son was able to swim 75-100 yards to shore but the father was not."

Just a reminder kids, that calm as it usually is, the Gulf is not a swimming pool. Here's hoping this is the last fatality we get this year.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I had heard that the sirens were rolling all day. I know the flags were flying red and the Gulf was looking dangerous. This is a sad story. Where are their life jackets? There are days when when I don't wear one while kayaking, but I know when the water is a little ruff, my life jacket may be the only thing to save my life if I get dumped. I am really saddend by reading of this tragedy. Let this story remind us all that we never know how or when we may be plucked from life and returned to dust.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:sosad: ...I checked the beach cam before coming here and saw the red flags flying. I was wondering why more people were not on the beach. I wish people would wear those life jackets...they do save lives.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Terrible. Doesn't red flag mean DON"T GO IN THE GULF -HIGH HAZARD? Doesn't that mean boats/kayaks/surfboards, not just swimmers? I am very sorry for this family, it is truly a terrible tragedy. People must realize those flags are for EVERYONE, we can prevent unnecessary accidents!

I know I'm assuming the red flag was flying when they went in. If it wasn't my apologies. I just hate that someone has to die for attention to be drawn to safety!:sosad:

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006
There was also a drowning around 4 pm in Miramar Beach today. According to the Walton Sun, they double red flagged all the beaches in Walton County after the second drowning. I was driving down the beach road when all of the fire trucks were attempting the 2nd rescue, and was SHOCKED to see how many people don't pay attention to the red flags. There were so many people in the water. It's really a shame and it should be enforced a little better - - especially this time of year.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
Terrible. Doesn't red flag mean DON"T GO IN THE GULF -HIGH HAZARD? Doesn't that mean boats/kayaks/surfboards, not just swimmers?

Single red means it's very dangerous in terms of undertow which means there's usually good waves for surfboards and kayaks if that's your thing, but not mandatory to stay out of the water.

Only DOUBLE RED means everyone stays out.

If that kayak was rented then I'm sure the renters liability insurance requires giving them vests. However, they can't make people wear them if that is the case.

Either way, it is indeed sad. I hate to see that.