• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Weekly Department of Health Healthy Beaches Report:

The Walton County Health Department conducts regularly scheduled saltwater beach water quality monitoring at seven sites through the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program. The water samples are being analyzed for enteric bacteria (enterococci) that normally inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals, which may cause human disease, infections, or rashes. The presence of enteric bacteria is an indication of fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage. The purpose of the Healthy Beaches Monitoring Program is to determine whether Florida has significant coastal beach water quality problems and whether future beach monitoring efforts are necessary.

Site Name Enterococci Water Quality
SP-1 Miramar Beach 48 Moderate
SP-3 Dune Allen Beach 20 Good
SP-4 Blue Mountain Beach 32 Good
SP-5 Grayton Beach 436 Poor
SP-7 Holly Street Beach 128 Poor
SP-8 Eastern Lake Beach 100 Moderate
SP-9 Inlet Beach Access 104 Moderate

Water quality classifications are based upon United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) recommended criteria and Florida Healthy Beaches Program Categories:
Good = 0 - 35 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine
Moderate = 36 - 104 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water
Poor = greater than 105 Enterococci per 100 ml of marine water

Health Advisories have been issued for Grayton Beach Access, and Holly Street Beach Access based on the enterococci standard recommended by the EPA. This should be considered a potential

health risk to the bathing public.

The Health Advisory for the Blue Mountain Beach Access has been lifted.

If you should have any questions, please contact the Walton County Health Department of (850) 892-8021, or visit the Department of Health’s internet Beach Water Quality website (www.doh.state.fl.us, click on “Floridians and Visitors” – under “Food, Water, Air, Land,” choose “Beach Water Quality.”

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
The 30A area beaches are not the only ones with Poor water conditions. Click on the website listed above, and go to Bay County and Oakaloosa County. They are as bad as 30A Beaches. I have not read anything that says anyone will do an investigation as to the cause of Poor water conditions. I think beyond issuing Public Advisories where needed, as mandated by the State of Florida, nothing more is done. The reason for the high number of pollutants in area waters is complex, with numerous contributing factors. It would seem obvious during the high Tourists season here, with the sheer volume of swimmers in the water, Vacation rentals with 15 people all taking showers and doing laundry and old over worked Septic Tanks and possibly even outdated Sewer pipes belonging to the county, would raise the pollutant levels. But there is more at work here than just that. The water Monitoring program that is in place, is very important, and I am really glad they are keeping tabs on the conditions and warning swimmers of the possible risks of contamination. But looking at the big picture here, it would seem reasonable to have the problem looked at and evaluate possible solutions. I am not as concerned about the reduced amount of tourists in the area as a result of unsafe water, I am concerned for all the enviormental impact long term these water conditions pose.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Having lived for long periods of time in countries where there was little or no regulations of such situations, I wonder what people did before we started being so "civilized". Ever since we bought here in 1991, I've never thought or hesitated to get into the Gulf but then I'm use to risks.:lol:

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
water quality

This is such a shame and such a scary issue. I know it has me worried. As someone said, I have not heard anything about anyone investigating the water problem, just testing to see iff it is safe enough or not. We have such beautiful beaches and water; I am having a hard time swallowing this bitter reality. Frankly I am pretty shocked. As I said before when I stopped giving my pets tap water they got much better. They had diahrea and were throwing up. I used to always give them bottled water, but had to cut back expenses so I started using tap water. Someone happened to mention the water issues to me and suggested I stop giving them tap water. After an expensive vet visit that showed nothing I switched to bottle water. They are all fine now with no stomach issues.

I hope we get some answers to this problem. This is not a small area of water so I cannot fathom how this could be happening. I have my own health issues and will not be going in the water any time soon, but I do brush my teeth and take a bath/shower in the water. My immune system is down from health problems and I don't need any assistance in getting sicker. What can we do about this???

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
If humans are the primary cause of this problem and we are then it will take humans to fix the problem. We need funding for the sewer infrastructure required to support more and more people coming to our once pristine environment. We need civil engineers instead of marking and advertising. We need work shops and information to educate property owners and businesses. We need our local government to get serious about infrastructure to support the record number of tourist coming to our paradise. This problem is not going away from divine intervention and will continue to get worse. The water quality tests are just symptoms of an outdated system that must be corrected. It will be a mistake to hope this will get better without leadership to make this a priority over marketing campaigns. So if anyone does talk to God please ask for quality leadership in our communities!

AMEN!!!! Well said!

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Okay, but here's what I don't understand:

1) We've had heavy rains for many years
2) We've had periods of high surf for many years
3) We've had these same septic systems for many years
4) We've head heavy tourist traffic in summer for many years

But, this is the first year we've had poor water quality ratings.

What's the difference? Are all the septic systems breaking down suddenly? It seems logical that septic systems near the beach would be bad, but is that really the cause? Right now that's just a bunch of message board speculation. Doesn't the health department monitor septic systems?

It's been suggested that overuse of these septic systems (by tourists) may be a cause. But if I had a rental house with a septic system, wouldn't the users see some indications of breakdown? I mean things like backed up sewer lines, sewage backing up into toilets and bathtubs, and pooling in the yard, which are things I don't think most renters would find attractive.

Yes I agree. I lived in a house in Blue Mountain (rented) and it had a septic tank. It does not take much for them to backup into the toilet and bathtub. This happened to me and it was so disgusting. If you put the slightest bit of a small tissue or something other than toilet paper it will cause it to do this. What they actually found was that the roots from a tree was causing the problem and had done so before. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever been through. Not only was it in the bathtub but both toilets overflowed onto the floor and spread quite a bit. I will never rent another house that has a septic tank. I had never before and was surprised to find out those things still existed and having experienced living with one I'll never do it again. They can also cause odors for whatever reason. Definitely not something a tourist should go through especially when they probably do not know if the house even has one or not.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
What can we do about this? This is probably about as good a question as anything I can think of. The causation is complex requiring real professionals but even before that there seems to be some reluctance to bring attention to the fact that we have too many fecal bacteria in our waters. I have been in this area since 2001 and I have never seen so many people that play down anything that might affect tourism. Fecal bacteria, inadequate traffic infrastructure, crude oil and drilling fluids from illegal drilling operations and the lack of sufficient life guards all affect our safety yet we find reasons to deflect these things for tourism dollars. That seems to be the bottom line. Tourism first safety last. Sacrifice our future for profit now. Money wins environment loses. Sometimes I fantasize about living in an earlier time when South Walton was pristine. I believe we still have a beautiful paradise but the future depends on these problems getting solved now...

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Can't a law be passed that all septic tanks must be replaced if sewage connections are available?

We can't even manage to pass mandatory inspection, let alone replacement.

Property rights, govt interference, hardship, etc. etc. etc.

It's a Republican county and this is what you get.