• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
Thanks to everyone for the photos, scale models, and updates

:clap:
We've been watching that construction for the 10 years it has been under scrutiny and work, and think it is fabulous for the coast and agree wholeheartedly that the one next door is out of place. What about the one further east still that has what looks to be a bird cage or gazebo on the northen end, the whole thing surrounded by a concrete wall now? We've been telling my now 8-year-old son since he was capable of understanding language that that was a "Super Hero" house, probably belonged to the League of Incredibles or some such. At 8 he has turned into a non-believer but loves to tell others about it.
I'd love to see it from the water and plan doing just that in August.
And we're saving now towards buying it in another ten years for, say around, $750,000 on a short sale. LOL.

Charlie's got about 1,000 employees in this area. He can finish the house at any day and hour he would choose to. As for short sale, have you seen what he paid for those oversized gulf front lots that the home sits on?

I understand Paradise to have more linear feet of Beachfront per residential lot than any other neighborhood in Walton County. Is this is a fact?

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Charlie's got about 1,000 employees in this area. He can finish the house at any day and hour he would choose to. As for short sale, have you seen what he paid for those oversized gulf front lots that the home sits on?

I understand Paradise to have more linear feet of Beachfront per residential lot than any other neighborhood in Walton County. Is this is a fact?
I think you may have misunderstood, if by he you mean "Charlie". Or maybe I did :dunno:.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
We were relaxing on the beach last week. I was reading this month's Oxford American Magazine which was devoted to houses and housing. Hal Crowther's The Cult of House Worship is a fantastic read. Here is a snippet I will post without further comment:

On the lovely beach west of Panama City, Florida, part of what was once known as the Redneck Riviera and recently as the Emerald Coast, a fifteen-mile hell of reckless development and architectural psychosis is crowned by a stadium-size beach house (built, I was told, by an heir to one of America's famous fortunes) that looks like an alien spaceship crash-landed on the dunes. If its architect didn't subsequently take his own life, he must have been one of the aliens.
:lol:

I think you may have misunderstood, if by he you mean "Charlie". Or maybe I did :dunno:.

The way I understood it Doodle sold those lots to Charles Hilton or an entitiy he owns for about 275 each, which is pretty good for huge gulf front lots abutting Alys. Making Paradise lots oversized and delivering value was an important part of Doodle completing the whole transaction from Paradise to Rosemary. I was lucky enough to have talked to Doodle many times about his trips to New York to visit with LUK's exec's and his negotiations. I bet Mickey Whitaker and Bill Smith could write a pretty amazing and educational book about the sub-dividing and development of all that amazing property.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
We were relaxing on the beach last week. I was reading this month's Oxford American Magazine which was devoted to houses and housing. Hal Crowther's The Cult of House Worship is a fantastic read. Here is a snippet I will post without further comment:

On the lovely beach west of Panama City, Florida, part of what was once known as the Redneck Riviera and recently as the Emerald Coast, a fifteen-mile hell of reckless development and architectural psychosis is crowned by a stadium-size beach house (built, I was told, by an heir to one of America's famous fortunes) that looks like an alien spaceship crash-landed on the dunes. If its architect didn't subsequently take his own life, he must have been one of the aliens.
:lol:

Oxford American, worth every penny. I love the annual Southern music issue.

Sorry, though, I don't share Hal's opinion of the Hilton house architecture. IMHO, the psuedo-Georgian mess next door is the turkey.

There's no good reason why we should all have yet another architectural clone of the styles pioneered by Seaside or Rosemary . Or in a few years, after the style catches on, another Alys clone.

There must not be an architectural review committee for that neighborhood based on the wide variety of architectural styles. It is my understanding that the owners of the house next to the Hilton house just wanted that style of architecture, and they had the right to build what they wanted.

Different strokes for different folks.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Oxford American, worth every penny. I love the annual Southern music issue.

Sorry, though, I don't share Hal's opinion of the Hilton house architecture. IMHO, the psuedo-Georgian mess next door is the turkey.

There's no good reason why we should all have yet another architectural clone of the styles pioneered by Seaside or Rosemary . Or in a few years, after the style catches on, another Alys clone.

I agree, I have always liked Hilton's house. That McTajMahal next door is a travesty, a monument of nouveau riche opulence that will hopefully fall into the sea one day.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
There must not be an architectural review committee for that neighborhood based on the wide variety of architectural styles. It is my understanding that the owners of the house next to the Hilton house just wanted that style of architecture, and they had the right to build what they wanted.

Different strokes for different folks.
Just as folks have the right to express their opinion that it is ugly.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If you have ever met the Hiltons, you would know that it is not Charlie's house. It is his wife's. I think Charlie would be happy living in a trailer, but his wife needs to show off their money.