1. Hello everyone - with recent Forum upgrade, here are a few issues you may need help with. Thanks for your patience!

- some accounts with same email address were merged. So if you have any login issues, send us a message with your username and email address and we'll sort it out. If you send us email by Hotmail we will not be able to respond. Hotmail is blocked.
    - the Forum App is no longer needed and has been disabled. The site is now mobile-friendly. Just browse to http://SoWal.com/forum"> on your phone's browser and tap "add to home screen".
    - Click Here for help, more info, and to post questions / give feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Does It Take to Buy A Sheriff's Race?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Joyce Johnson, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Joyce Johnson

Joyce Johnson Beach Crab

If I read the candidates financial reports correctly, it appears that once again Charlie Hilton is trying to buy a candidate. This time it's in Walton County. Now let me think about this. Are there promises being made? By whom-To whom?
    Buying candidates has got to stop. If the voters do not pay attention to who is contributing to who, we will once again have "Big Interest" money controlling our Politicians and their actions.
    Walton County wake up! Hilton was defeated in Bay County, let's do the same here.:scratch:

2. WCcitizens

WCcitizens Beach Lover

Pretty good for your 1st post. Sign up......and go to bashing. :floor:

Who cares who donates to who? If I'm not mistaken Hilton owns quite a bit of property in Walton Co also.

3. Johnny Post

Johnny Post Beach Lover

I assume she is referring to the donations to Mr. Adkinson. From my reading of the reports, it looks like a lot more people than just Mr. Hilton were willing to open their checkbooks for him.

Almost $50,000 raised at this point. Thats pretty strong.

4. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Joyce Johnson, are you suggesting we shouldn't vote for someone who could perhaps be the best candidate, solely because Charlie Hilton donated to his campaign?

Would you be related to Sheriff Johnson?

5. Joyce Johnson

Joyce Johnson Beach Crab

Who's bashing? I do feel that as citizens of Walton County we need to make informed decisions when we vote. Don't you ask questions about who you vote for?

6. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

After the WAVE fiascos, I would like to be alerted anytime someone makes a large or potentially suspicious donation. :wave:

7. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I think asking questions is needed, always, hence my question as to your relationship with Sheriff Johnson. Also, you need to address my question. Does one person's support for a candidate mean that he or she is not the best candidate, and that we should vote for someone else? Looks to me like many respectable people have donated as much to Mike Adkinson's campaign as Charlie Hilton.

Here is the link
    to search for campaign contributions.

8. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Doesn't Mr. Adkinson live in Bay County currently? Did it ever occur to someone that Mr. Hilton is supporting him so that he'll leave the county.

9. Alicia Leonard

Alicia Leonard SoWal Insider

In the little town with FUN in the middle

I think that's Cornman.

10. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Tony Cornman (looks like Comman on the ballot), is the only candidate in the Sheriff's race reported as currently residing in Bay County. Adkinson is the Chief of Police in Defuniak, if I'm not mistaken, so he wouldn't be leaving the area.

11. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

No, but you can get a sense as to what someone's REAL politics/beliefs are based on who supports them. For example, a pro-smart growth candidate w/ the backing of many developers who throw up as many units of ugly as the law will allow (and always ask for exemptions) would make me wonder.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

zebra, I understand your reasoning, but not when it comes to the Sheriff's race. If we were talking about a County Commissioner Seat, you would be making a valid point.

By the way, a smart big-growth developer would contribute to every candidate running for Commissioner, who had a decent chance of winning, so that they could theoretically have more pull when it comes to asking favors.

13. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

I know several developers who do that! :roll:

Wonder if there will be a significantly lower amount raised this year with the developer/real estate money crunch! :rofl:

14. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The only elected officers who really have the potential to directly help developers are the seats of the County Commissioners. Larry Jones is current Chairman of the BCC, and looking at his only competition in this race, I think he will win 10:1. The race for BCC in Dist 5, will likely be a close one between Osborne and Hudson, and I don't think either would base their development approval decision on someone donating $500 towards their campaign, or any amount of money, for that matter.

With develpment being so slow right now, and probably for the next couple of years, many developers who are in trouble financially, won't likely be contributing to anyone's campaign. Compare this year's contributions to the BCC candidates to back when Scott Brannon was running, and had many, many developers contributing. Quick money is easy to throw around.

15. The Watcher

The Watcher Beach Fanatic

Money money money

Yes, it is strong, but am I the only one who questions the fact that a sole individual with gobs of $$$ can donate numerous times based on his/her business and then personal identity. I realize this is the rule, not disputing that. It does look like someone/somepeople are trying to "buy" the election. There are some very "interesting" names on M. Adkinson's contribution list as well.

Do we want a new Sheriff elected on BIG BUSINESS donations or one who will work for the people, while stimulating and supporting healthy growth as well?

w

16. Johnny Post

Johnny Post Beach Lover

"Big" business? I had to laugh at this. While I get the point, I traditionally think of "big" business in politics as large corporations, think Enron, shoveling dollar after dollar to a candidate, his/her party, PACs, and every other group to get a person elected. Not really sure what we have here is the same thing.

And while I may not agree with the campaign finance rules allowing a person to contribute multiple times under their individual name and their business, it certainly shows support for a candidate.

No matter who you are, the willingness to spend money on a political race shows a person's committment. Now we can always argue why that person is committed, but the fact that certain candidates seem to pull in large contributions does lend itself to the notion that the candidate has done something "right" to earn that support.

17. The Watcher

The Watcher Beach Fanatic

Big Business

Big Business in Walton is subject to interpretation. I look at it as an individual that owns several businesses (each contributing $500) then contributing $500 for themselves, their family members, etc. You end up with a great deal of money from basically one source. That one source may not even be registered to vote in Walton County. Now Infulence may attract votes, but the one's you influence are not standing next to you in the booth, are they?... Give money to make friends, vote for who is best? Perhaps that may happen.

I was always taught to "follow the money". Looking at certain candidates "money" the trail is something to follow.

w

18. Seeker1

Seeker1 Beach Lover

Sheriffing sheriff

Do we want a new Sheriff elected on BIG BUSINESS donations or one who will work for the people, while stimulating and supporting healthy growth as well?

w[/quote]

[/QUOTE]

Actually I prefer to have a sheriff that will just do his freakin' job and let others do theirs.
    As for hilton being a contributor, didnt he build something in town? HMM. Didnt he also give huge to quinn? Hmm.
    Anyone can contribute to anyone, thats the beauty of it. But ya cant help but wonder in some cases..........why.
    I prefer grass roots contributing, see who the PEOPLE support. Not business. Theres a big difference there.
    Mike already went back on his word to the city when he told them he had no intentions of running for sheriff. Some call it mis-speaking, some call it misleading.
    Whatever it is makes a weak foundation to build upon.

19. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

Maybe Hilton wants to make sure that he doesn't get a citation for ignoring any turtle lighting ordinance that finally gets passed in Walton County. I don't fault the candidate for taking money and reporting it. At least the public and voters have adequate notice before the election. The problem is with illegal or candidates or reprimanded groups that hide contributions until after elections are over. Not aware of any questionable 527s now, but you probably won't know about them until after the election, anyway.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  20. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

I think it's important to consider contributors backing a candidate.

I had planned to compile a list of the top donors to each campaign, a top ten list for most, but a list of all donors of $500 (or more) for those who had more than ten. Here is the list for Adkinson (starred and highlighted contributions are combined for multiple entities):

Name / Amount / Occupation / Location

Lauren Adkinson $500.00 ARNP Defuniak Springs, FL
    Clay B Adkinson $500.00 Attorney Defuniak Springs, FL
    Rhonda R. Adkinson $500.00 Doctor Defuniak Springs, FL
    Cornelia C Trent $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
    Dean Mitchell $500.00 Offshore Construction Westville, FL
    Jessica F. Adkinson $500.00 HomemakerDefuniak Springs, FL
    Shadler L. Adkinson $500.00 Consultant Defuniak Springs, FL
    Samuel Franklin $500.00 Sears Employee Laurel Hill, FL
    Laurie Palmer $500.00 Okaloosa County School Crestview, FL
    Clayton JM Adkinson $500.00 Attorney Defuniak Springs, FL
    Marcia Whigham $500.00 Retired Milton, FL
    Ronnie Brannon $500.00 General Contractor Defuniak Springs, FL
    Jefferson Webb $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
    J. Kevin Adams $500.00 Developer Memphis, TN
    William Benton $500.00 Developer Memphis, TN
    Sandra Anderson $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
    Michael R. Howell $500.00 DOT Officer Defuniak Springs, FL
    Sommer Adams $500.00 Retail Business Owner Defuniak Springs, FL
    Michael Adkinson, Sr. $500.00 Offshore Constr. Defuniak Springs, FL
    Patsy Adkinson $500.00 Homemaker Defuniak Springs, FL
    Jason Comer $500.00 Developer Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Law Offices of Matthews and Hawk (aka Destin Land and Title) $1,000.00 Law Destin, FL
    Cary Shahid $500.00 Restauranteur Destin, FL
    New Orchid Group, LLC $500.00 Developer Rosemary Beach, FL
    Adkinson Land Title LLC $500.00 Title Company Freeport, FL
    Adkinson Law Firm $500.00 Law Firm Defuniak Springs, FL
    Stanley Hobbs $500.00 Retired Hartford, AL
    R. J. Ryals $500.00 Municipal Employee Defuniak Springs, FL
    Roger and Judith Murray* $500.00 Retired Destin, FL
    Recade Investments $500.00 Investment Co. Defuniak Springs, FL
    Pelican Properties* (aka Signature, South Walton Properties) $2,500.00 Developer Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Axiom Development/Indian Lake $500.00 Developer Destin, FL
    Capelin Investments $500.00 Investment Co. Miramar Beach, FL
    C W Seman $500.00 Retired Freeport, FL
    Cade Investments $500.00 Investment Co. Defuniak Springs, FL
    Bay Hauling and Tank Corp. $500.00 Hauling Co. Valparaiso, FL
    Whipple Van Ness Jones, Jr. $500.00 Retired Miramar Beach, FL
    Cassandra Hollingsworth $500.00 Paralegal Defuniak Springs, FL
    Debby Adkinson $500.00 Retired Freeport, FL
    Dewey C. Wilson, Jr. $500.00 Executive Freeport, FL
    Teasie Fountain $500.00 Bookkeeper Defuniak Springs, FL
    Edgewater Beach Owners Assoc, $500.00 HOA Miramar Beach, FL
    Katie Inez Adkinson $500.00 Retired Defuniak Springs, FL
    Rodney L. Adkinson $500.00 Retired Freeport, FL
    Michelle Ragan $500.00 Property Manager Defuniak Springs, FL
    Van Ness R. Butler, Jr. $500.00 Retired Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Charlie Hilton* (Hilton Inc., Hilton Timber Co., Holiday Golf & Racquet Club, Hilton Self Insurance Fund $2,500.00 Developer Panama City Beach, FL
    Commercial Developers, Inc. $500.00 Developer Sandestin, FL
    William Chapman $500.00 Law Enforcement Defuniak Springs, FL
    Cheryl Sallee $500.00 Teacher Defuniak Springs, FL
    Marla Carter Photo $500.00 Photographer Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Michael A. Adkinson $5,000.00 Candidate Defuniak Springs, FL
    W. H. & P. A. Cosson* $1,000.00 Retired Pensacola, FL
    Thamas R. & Joy W. Coleman* $1,000.00 Homemaker Germantown, TN
    Cheryl Rice $500.00 Student Freeport, FL
    Hollis Risley $500.00 Retired Miramar Beach, FL
    Katie & Johnny Himes* $800.00 Business Owner Destin, FL
    Nicholas Vlahos* $500.00 VP - Redfish Village Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Jennifer Brannon $500.00 Occ Therapist Defuniak Springs, FL