• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Note that if it starts to look quite serious, the Mid-Bay Bridge will sometimes (but not always) suspend toll collection until things start to normalize a little.

That status is normally part of the usual preparation & recovery media reports.

Bottom line:

Filll up your gas tank in your car ASAP. Be prepared for desperate people being rude.

Then get the heck outta the storm area way before the bridges close. We were at the beach a few weeks ago and had to leave on a Saturday AM. It took us an hour to get from Seagrove to north of the 331 bridge. That's with no storm. So can you imagine how long it would take to get to Freeport when everyone is evacuating? And that is assuming that the 331 bridge is open.

I hope the storm turns farther west and the above is not necessary (no offense to the folks in south TX or Mexico).

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Rental companies do not offer refunds for any reason without rental insurance, which will only offer a refund in the case of a "mandatory evacuation" order. I have rental insurance...and have paid over $1500 upfront for my beachfront, first floor condominium. Add in airfare and car rental and we're out a significant chunk of change. We've been in Seagrove once when a "not quite cat 1" hurricane came through...2001, I think, TS Barry. We were at Beachside Villas and were encouraged by the rental company to stick it out. It was a bit disturbing when the furniture started flying off the balcony and 75 mile an hour sustained winds through the night was enough for us to decide we really didn't want to exprience anything any stronger! We'll be there at 9:30 tomorrow morning and hoping to get at least 3 days upfront...not sure what the rest of the week will hold...just holding out hope! It's not only about our vacation...it's heartbreaking as well to witness the aftermath of storms like Ivan & Dennis.

I remember that storm in 2001. I heard later that it actually was a Cat 1 hurricane but the center was so small and there were no official measuring devices in SoWal, so it went into the records as a tropical storm. I think I remember that the center went right over Seaside.
Mostly I remember it because it brought down a huge tree in my backyard, scared the crap out of me. I kept looking out the window and thinking, geez, this sure looks like a hurricane to me.

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
I'm coming down tommorrow and actually thinking of staying threw it. The model hasn't changed much in 24 hrs and right now looks direct hit on either side of 20-50 miles of sowal. looks like cat 1 90 mph when it hits

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Bottom line:

Filll up your gas tank in your car ASAP. Be prepared for desperate people being rude.

Then get the heck outta the storm area way before the bridges close. We were at the beach a few weeks ago and had to leave on a Saturday AM. It took us an hour to get from Seagrove to north of the 331 bridge. That's with no storm. So can you imagine how long it would take to get to Freeport when everyone is evacuating? And that is assuming that the 331 bridge is open.

I hope the storm turns farther west and the above is not necessary (no offense to the folks in south TX or Mexico).

There are relatively few visitors here now. I doubt we have a lot of visitors who have planned to come for a full week starting today and tomorrow, and some may not come because of the storm. Evacuation can be a nightmare in season but shouldn't be nearly as bad now.

According to models, we could get landfall 100 miles on either side, in which case we would likely get a lot of rainfall and beach erosion. Any closer and we could suffer power outages, felled trees, and serious beach erosion, especially on beaches that are already classifies as critically eroded. Our dunes are very vulnerable as a result of all the erosion from the 2005 storms.

On the plus side, there is still time for the models to shift. Monday's forecast will really tell the tale. But go ahead and start preparing now.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://www.alaquaanimalrefuge.org/page.aspx?pid=683

[h=3]Pet Friendly Hotels in the DeFuniak Springs Evacuation Area[/h]
Best Western Crossroads Inn
DeFuniak Springs, FL
850-892-5111
Comfort Inn and Suites
DeFuniak Springs, FL
850-951-2225
Comfort Inn and Suites
Crestview, FL
(866) 611-6301
Jameson Inn
Crestview, FL
(850) 683-1778
EconoLodge
Andalusia, AL
(866) 611-6770
Days Inn
Andalusia, AL
(334) 427-0050

Comfort Inn
Dothan, AL
(877) 424-6423
Econo Lodge
Dothan, AL
(877) 424-6423
Clarion Inn and Suites
Dothan, AL
(877) 424-6423
La Quinta Inn and Suites
Dothan, AL
334-793-9090
Motel 6
Dothan, AL
(334)793-6013
Residence Inn
Dothan, AL
334-793-1030
Knights Inn
Dothan, AL
334-793-2550

There are relatively few visitors here now. I doubt we have a lot of visitors who have planned to come for a full week starting today and tomorrow, and some may not come because of the storm. Evacuation can be a nightmare in season but shouldn't be nearly as bad now.

According to models, we could get landfall 100 miles on either side, in which case we would likely get a lot of rainfall and beach erosion. Any closer and we could suffer power outages, felled trees, and serious beach erosion, especially on beaches that are already classifies as critically eroded. Our dunes are very vulnerable as a result of all the erosion from the 2005 storms.

On the plus side, there is still time for the models to shift. Monday's forecast will really tell the tale. But go ahead and start preparing now.
Thanks, Kurt, for the info. It's good that this is not happening during the busy season. Rentals are good for Labor Day weekend, but there will be time to decide whether or not to cancel prior to then.