• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

smoore21

Beach Comber
Dec 5, 2010
Praying all these models are totally wrong! My 7-year old twins were in tears this morning when they heard us talking about SoWal possibly getting hit. We are scheduled to get in Sept 1st from Ohio....hoping eveyone stays safe!

If you are new to the whole hurricane experience, here is a bit of advice. If you board up, when you take them down, fill the nail holes before you paint. Otherwise water settles into those holes and rots the window and door trim. We learned this the first time we boarded up in 2004. We had to replace all the trim around the windows and doors. Thank goodness the last time we had to board up was for Katrina in 2005 because the computer models were inconsistent until the last minute. But when you board up a three-story house, you can't do it at the last minute. You have to do it when you have the workers available to do it. I mean, there's no way my husband could carry multiple 50-pound pieces of plywood up a 32' ladder. And we were lucky enough to have a 32' ladder. Ladders are a valuable commodity prior to a storm. Thankfully hubby has every tool known to the human race, so he had a 32' ladder.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
32' Ladders for sale: $5,000 each. 1/2" Plywood $350 per sheet, while they last...:rotfl:

Ty

Beach Comber
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for the info. This will be our 2nd trip since May. We love the area and try to come every year, but this trip we are bringing friends with us and this will be their first trip. We do have travel insurance but do not want to have to cancel. We are thinking since it will be the week after everything should be ok?? Prayers that everyone will be safe!

We have driven down for the past 10 years after every storm to check on our house and my sister's houses. We always have a great time. So come on down!

If the storm hits in South Walton, we'll drive down as soon as we hear there are no closed roads or bridges and there's power.

From my experience the water might still be rough, so hope you have access to a pool.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
My home in Grayton needs to have my panels mounted. I am thinking about coming down to install, but actually concerned I will be caught before I could finish. I am working on getting some additional help. We just bought the home and have not had a chance arrange for panal installation during the storms. Is anyone going to ride this out in Grayton or will most of the locals evacuate on level 2 hurricane? Its insured, but I would prefer to avoid additional damage as you can imagine. I am really concerned about flooding in the Grayton area.

Any suggestions would be great

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Grayton can have some flooding near the beach if there is storm surge. Some water got up around the red bar for Opal. That was pretty extreme. If you are north, and not on the lake, you should be OK from flooding.

Many people will stay, but absolutely should leave if they are in low lying areas that are prone to flood. A lot of locals leave because being without power for a few days or more stinks.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
I am on Magnolia in New Grayton. My elevation is not far off from the Red Bar, but I could see a little flooding if it floods the Red Bar. House is about 6 feet above ground elevation, but not the auto!

Thanks for the advice.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Post storm, Blue Mountain Beach will look like the nightmare the "I own the beach" crowd have made it.