• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday

Tropical Storm Isaac Forecast Updates, Hurricane Warnings And Watches: Saturday (PHOTO, VIDEO)

FOLLOW:

Video, Hurricane Isaac, Tropical Storm Isaac, Hurricane Isaac Path, Isaac Hurricane, Isaac Projected Path, Miami Weather, Slideexpand, Miami News

Tropical Storm Isaac is expected to be at hurricane strength when it reaches the Florida Keys Sunday night, according to the National Hurricane Center's 11 p.m. advisory.
Florida Governor Rick Scott declared a state of emergency Saturday afternoon and GOP officials decided to delay the Republican National Convention.
Forecasters said the storm should intensify over the Florida Straits before heading through the Keys toward the southwest corner of the state on Sunday, putting much of southern Florida on the storm's wide and angry northeast side.
A tropical storm warning has been extended into the Florida Panhandle while a hurricane watch is now in place for the west coast south of Bonita Beach. A hurricane watch was earlier issued for Miami-Dade County, where public school officials canceled Monday classes as a precaution (scroll down for preparation recommendations).
Isaac still boasted maximum sustained winds of 60 mph late Saturday night. Officials said the storm was churning northwest at 17 mph and should pass just north of the central coast of Cuba tonight.
The National Weather Service cautioned against concentrating on Isaac's exact path: strong tropical storm-force winds now extend outward up to 205 miles from its center, so much of South Florida should see heavy rains and will likely experience flooding.
@usNWSgov
NWS
Remember, a tropical storm is not a single point on a map. High winds, flooding, rough seas can extend 100s of miles from the center. #Isaac
August 24, 2012 11:50 pm via web Reply Retweet Favorite

As Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe Schools canceled classes for Monday, the Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center urged residents to closely monitor the storm and complete hurricane preparations:

• Gather your hurricane supplies now if you have not already done so. You should have three days worth of supplies, such as non-perishable food and water, for each person in your household.
  • You should begin putting up your hurricane shutters now.
  • Fill your vehicle’s gas tank with gasoline. If you fill extra gas containers with gasoline, make sure you store them in a safe area in your home.
  • Verify if you live in an evacuation zone and if you do make plans to leave should an evacuation order be issued. Miami-Dade evacuation zone maps are available on our Web site www.miamidade.gov/emergency.
  • You should know that County government does not recommend that residents evacuate outside the County.
  • Your home, yard and construction debris should be properly secured. Any objects that hurricane winds could blow about should be tied down or brought indoors (garbage cans, patio furniture, garden tools, toys, etc.).
  • Do not trim trees or shrubs at this time. Solid Waste has discontinued trash and recycling pick-ups until further notice.
  • Miami International Airport remains open but many airline carriers have canceled or will cancel flights. Travelers should contact their airline carrier to confirm flight information.
  • Metrorail, Metrobus and Metromover will continue to operate until further notice.
  • Private businesses are urged to send employees home immediately.
  • Public marinas are closed.
  • If a boil water order is issued, boil the water for one minute before drinking it.
This post will be updated throughout the day as NHC forecasts are released.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Great info on SoWal! Will stay tuned in. I hope I don't have to test out this bunker of a house and the backup solar but if it comes to that I feel it won't let me down! Good luck everyone! Cross fingers it has the least intensity possible! And hi to all - long time no talk!!

Gidget

sadie1

Beach Lover
May 31, 2009
huge turn to west overnight. Its all the way to miss-ala border. If it stays there or shifts even more west in next 24hrs we could get by with only heavy rain

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
huge turn to west overnight. Its all the way to miss-ala border. If it stays there or shifts even more west in next 24hrs we could get by with only heavy rain

Looking better. When you are in the bullseye more than a few days out no need to panic, but it is unnerving to say the least. Paths almost always shift when landfall is that far away. Notice I said almost always. Knock on wood.

Yet there is still plenty of time for the landfall prediction to move either east or west. And of course sometimes they turn at the last hours. Our worst case is if the eye passes slightly to our west and hits Destin or FoWal like Opal did.

Even if Isaac makes landfall well to our west I fear beach erosion. Our dunes are so vulnerable! The dunes are looking good compared to 2006, but even small storms that have come ashore well to our west have pushed waves right to the toe of the dunes.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Great info on SoWal! Will stay tuned in. I hope I don't have to test out this bunker of a house and the backup solar but if it comes to that I feel it won't let me down! Good luck everyone! Cross fingers it has the least intensity possible! And hi to all - long time no talk!!

Gidget

:wave: Hi Gidget! Missed you.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I am on Magnolia in New Grayton. My elevation is not far off from the Red Bar, but I could see a little flooding if it floods the Red Bar. House is about 6 feet above ground elevation, but not the auto!

Thanks for the advice.

Your elevation is not the only issue. What happened during Opal is that the end of Garfield Street, Cottage Street, and Banfill Street where they meet the beach basically became funnels for the surge and surf so the houses on the north side of Hotz Avenue across from the Red Bar got inundated and a few pushed off their foundations.

Please don't take my word as gospel but I think Magnolia Street has always fared well because you are behind high dunes that haven't been breached. I suppose during a serious cat 4 or 5 surge could make its way to
'New Grayton" streets on the west side at the path to the gulf beside the Provow's home.

Remember that Grayton Beach and its old homes have been through massive storms in the past.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Looking better. When you are in the bullseye more than a few days out no need to panic, but it is unnerving to say the least. Paths almost always shift when landfall is that far away. Notice I said almost always. Knock on wood.

Yet there is still plenty of time for the landfall prediction to move either east or west. And of course sometimes they turn at the last hours. Our worst case is if the eye passes slightly to our west and hits Destin or FoWal like Opal did.

Even if Isaac makes landfall well to our west I fear beach erosion. Our dunes are so vulnerable! The dunes are looking good compared to 2006, but even small storms that have come ashore well to our west have pushed waves right to the toe of the dunes.

Yes, the major erosion done by Dennis was in large measure due to the angle it came in on. Issac may do a similar track. Is FoWal a word? (I guess it is now).:blink: