• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
@Highway 83 and 98 Dangerous intersection due to no traffic light at a busy Public Beach access road.
Multiple officers/cars on site, at least one fire engine ... appeared to be body/bodies on highway...I pray I'm wrong about bodies..

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Hwy 98 & 83, car/motorcycle. Motorcyclist body covered as I passed around 4:15.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
@Highway 83 and 98 Dangerous intersection due to no traffic light at a busy Public Beach access road.
Multiple officers/cars on site, at least one fire engine ... appeared to be body/bodies on highway...I pray I'm wrong about bodies..
I posted in a different thread before I saw yours. Sorry to say you are correct about a death. I saw at least one body covered, appeared to be motorcyclist.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
There have been numerous accidents at this intersection since traffic was rerouted due to the bridge construction. The traffic at the intersection during rush hour is insanely busy and difficult to navigate.

Whoever was responsible for managing traffic issues due to construction should be held accountable and something should be done about the dangerous intersection NOW!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
ABC News 13 just reported there was a fatality when a motorcycle and SUV collided at that intersection.

jcpd2

Beach Lover
Aug 31, 2008
I know there was discussion about a temporary light at one time. Was that tabled for some reason?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Every time I pass the 98 & 83 intersection, it makes me nervous.
In my opinion, the best thing we could do is temporarily drop the
speed limit there (35 mph?) until the 30A construction is finished.
Some nice big electric signs on 98 about a mile out warning people
either way about the speed limit drop. Instead of having a sheriff
sitting there with flashing lights, we could have one there enforcing
the speed limit. How many more people will have to die before we
do something to improve the safety of that intersection?

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
A friend of mine totaled her car at that intersection a couple of weeks ago. The officer in the parked sheriff's car was a member of the posse, not a peace officer.

Some observations:

Eastbound traffic is transitioning from a signed 45 to 65 mph zone and then they see a flashing sign advising slow down and busy intersection.

Why in the world does it say "slow Down"? That message means different things to different people. May I suggest 45 mph or even slower. A slower speed limit would have resulted in far fewer accidents and may have saved lives. By the way, I have heard there has been more than one fatality.

Now let's address the parked sheriffs unit with lights flashing. The flashing lights are contributing to the problem. Some people react to the flashing lights by moving over from the outside lane into the right lane where people are attempting to make right turns into the busy intersection. That in and of itself is a recipe for disaster. Furthermore, the flashing lights at night interfere with our ability to identify approaching cars.

Walton County collects a lot of bed tax money that should be used to protect our guests and residents. Let's spend whatever is necessary to improve the traffic management at this intersection.

Lastly, whoever is responsible for managing traffic while the Draeper bridge is being constructed needs to take corrective action NOW!

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
News is reporting 69 year old man was entering the intersection form Hwy 83 when he was hit by an eastbound motorcyclist from Freeport.

What a tragedy. A dead biker and a 69 year old who was trying to live the good life here on 30A. One is gone leaving behind friends and family; the 69 Year old's life will never be the same. All this could have been avoided.

If I were the sheriff or state patrol commander I would not be able to sleep until I got this situation under control. To protect and serve....