• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Ok, here's a totally useless question: How is Alys pronounced? Walton County SO and the South Walton FD pronounce it :"AL-eez" over the air, every realtor and banker I know says "AL-isss". Come on, I gotta know!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When completed, Alys Beach will be the only 100% "hurricane proof" community along the Gulf of Mexico, so I hear.

The reason the lots are hard to get is that only the developer is selling them. I grew up with the Developer's son in law, who is actively involved in the project, and even I cannot get a lot, not that I would want to live there. It sounds really nice when you hear that a developer does not care about making money, but when it is the Developer's employees telling you that, you should stop to think. Sure, they may care about the type of community they are creating, but they would not be doing this if they did not have the chance to take a bundle back home to Alabama.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The first house nearing completion.

alysbeach1.jpg

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Apparently, Ebsco (the developer of Alys Beach) is now one of the largest private land owners in Alabama. They are buying up property all over the place.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Camp Creek Kid said:
Apparently, Ebsco (the developer of Alys Beach) is now one of the largest private land owners in Alabama. They are buying up property all over the place.

Yes, but they are not doing it for the money.... Right. :clap_1:

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Of course they are doing it for money. I only said that their main focus was on building a liveable, viable town. For example, the town center at Alys Beach will have controlled rents so that merchants can afford to do business there. Rosemary merchants are struggling because their rent is getting too high for them make a profit. Several businesses that were going to go into Rosemary have backed out. Alys Beach wants to make sure that doesn't happen. It is good for the town, and yes, it is good for the developer.

The sales prices at Alys Beach are at market value. If they wanted to, they could ask a lot higher and get it.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Camp Creek Kid said:
Of course they are doing it for money. I only said that their main focus was on building a liveable, viable town. For example, the town center at Alys Beach will have controlled rents so that merchants can afford to do business there. Rosemary merchants are struggling because their rent is getting too high for them make a profit. Several businesses that were going to go into Rosemary have backed out. Alys Beach wants to make sure that doesn't happen. It is good for the town, and yes, it is good for the developer.

The sales prices at Alys Beach are at market value. If they wanted to, they could ask a lot higher and get it.

I think it's a smart and valuable part of the plan to have good, stable businesses. It makes a town a much more "real" place, and provides a draw to people not living/staying there. I look forward to having another place to visit.

Rest assured Ebsco is getting as high a price as possible (which is market value by definition), as any developer would.