• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

coastal-edge

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2009
www.coastal-edge.com
International Coastal Cleanup DAY - Save the Date

Here's a great idea - Is anyone already heading this up here?

International Coastal Cleanup

September 19, 2009

SAVE THE DATE

Click photo for Video

Mark your calendars now for the 24th annual International Coastal Cleanup, September 19, 2009 and sign up for updates about events in your area. Last year, nearly 400,000 volunteers collected more than 6.8 million pounds of trash in 104 countries and 42 U.S. states during the 2008 International Coastal Cleanup - the world's largest volunteer effort of its kind. Official registration opens on August 3, 2009.

A Rising Tide of Ocean Debris and What We Can Do About It

Ocean Conservancy's report A Rising Tide of Ocean Debris and What We Can Do About It reveals all the findings of the 2008 Cleanup in its one-of-a-kind Marine Debris Index, the world's only country-by-country, state-by-state breakdown of trash in our ocean, lakes, rivers, and streams. This comprehensive body of data compiled each year at the Cleanup has informed major legislation and inspired improvements in packaging and other technologies as well as expanded recycling efforts in communities large and small.

The report also zeroes in on the startling impacts of ocean trash on wildlife and ocean ecosystems. And it identifies marine debris as one of the stresses compromising the ocean's ability to adapt to climate change.

Together, the Marine Debris Index and the report's recommendations provide a roadmap for eliminating marine debris altogether by reducing it at the source, changing the behaviors that cause it, and supporting better policy. Armed with knowledge about the most prevalent components of marine debris, elected officials can make informed policy decisions, community leaders can tailor and expand recycling and other trash-reduction programs, corporate decision-makers can improve technology and reduce packaging, and individuals can recycle, reuse, or properly dispose of trash to keep these items out of the ocean in the first place.

Download the report now >>

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Yes, the TDC coordinates it every year with the Walton County school system. Stay tuned for more information.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
i do my own part daily, but this is something this county should absolutely join together and act on as a community. its a no brainer..... thanks for posting this coastaledge!

coastal-edge

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2009
www.coastal-edge.com
This area of our country is one of the most beautiful, I'm glad to know that there is an effort already in place. I guess it needs a little more press!

Thanks for the info on last year's event!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
This area of our country is one of the most beautiful, I'm glad to know that there is an effort already in place. I guess it needs a little more press!

Thanks for the info on last year's event!

There is a big press rollout but it's not until closer to the event (in September). There are press releases, stories in the local papers, ads in the papers, etc. Keep your eyes peeled as it will be hard to miss. The other thing to note is that the TDC and County schools have been doing it for over 10 years (and the schools since 1988) so many people already have it ingrained in them just like the SWCC July 5th cleanup. The more people the merrier so I know they will be glad to have you participate!

Here's a link to one of the articles last year:

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/beach-11232-cleanup-county.html

Last edited:

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
Hey; Don't wait! Surfrider will be doing a beach cleanup in miramar beach this Sunday at 9 AM. Look for the Surfrider flag east of the Whales tail. We will have bags and gloves. Bring a board there might be a bump. Also, we do a cleanup every second sunday. For location, check surfrider.org and click on emerald coast chapter.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The award-winning Beaches of South Walton are recognized as some of the cleanest most admired beaches in the nation. To ensure that the beaches remain pristine, the community is invited to join the world-wide effort to clean the coast during International Coastal Cleanup on Saturday, September 19 from 8 a.m. ? 10 a.m. This year?s event will have six main clean-up sites including Blue Mountain Regional Access, Dune Allen Regional Beach Access, Ed Walline Regional Beach Access, Grayton Beach Access, Topsail Hill State Preserve and Miramar Beach Regional Access on the western side of Pompano Joe's. Complimentary cleanup supplies, water and Coastal Cleanup T-shirts will be provided at each access. For more information on volunteering contact Vicki Kitahara, WCTDC Interim New Product Development Manager at (850) 267-1216 / vkitahara@beachesofsouthwalton.com or visit www.oceanconservancy.org.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
coastal clean up sept 19

2009 International Coastal Clean Up.
Sept 19.
8-10am

:D
bump
mark your calendar!
community sponsors and participants include area schools, TDC, Florida Surfrider Foundation, voluntee
rs

On Sept 19, organizations and individuals across the globe will work to remove trash and debris from the world's beaches and waterways.

complimentary clean up supplies, water and Coastal Cleanup T-shirts

For more information on volunteering contact Vicki Kitahara, WCTDC Interim New Product Development Manager at (850) 267-1216 / vkitahara@beachesofsouthwalton.com or visit www.oceanconservancy.org.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks. We need another big clean sweep. Went kayaking this weekend and the outflow, back at the grass, on Western Lake looked like a parking lot in Destin. I didn't have a garbage bag, but took what I could. Need to do a few Coastal dune lake cleans too.