• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
This movie is hilarious! We went to see a different movie, but got the time wrong so went to this. I laughed out loud a lot and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Robert Downey and Gwyneth Paltrow do a wonderful job and it keeps your attention and interest. Obviously since it's based on a comic book you can't analyze some of the plot points too carefully, but it avoids the typical cheesiness with its humor and great cast.

It's rated PG-13 for some violent scenes (that IMO are potentially more upsetting for younger kids as they show things like US soldiers being killed in a ambush and families w/ kids being removed from their homes by the bad guys) but they are part of the plot not just gratuitous. There is one brief sex scene that is awkward because it was so stupid/cheesy, not because of any content.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
My son really wants to see this. Thanks for the review...not one I would normally choose but I'll sit through it for him. Glad to hear I'll probably like it too.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Not one I would choose either. But I really like RD,jr. Who would have ever thought he would be cast is this type of movie??

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm not saying it will win an Oscar, or doesn't have a lot of explosions and some violence that might make you cringe, but the snappy and hilarious dialogue elevates it and makes it much more enjoyable than similar films.

I only saw it because of it's showtime and was not expecting to enjoy it. Very pleasant surprise! :cool:

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Not one I would choose either. But I really like RD,jr. Who would have ever thought he would be cast is this type of movie??

Too bad Mr OL had to work...he would have liked this movie a lot. I didn't really find it hilarious but it did have funny parts. RDjr was perfect in the role. Dylan and his friend really liked it. Def a boy movie. I would say not for boys under 10...lots of violence and like Scooter said, a brief sex scene....thank goodness it didn't last or show too much.

Angelrlc

Beach Lover
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
My boyfriend really wanted to see it. Not a movie I would normally see but really loved it. Even though the entire theatre lost power at one of the best scenes..lol. I will probably buy this when it comes out! I enjoyed the comedy of it.

okay, so what are some other good movies out? I have absolutely no clue. may want to go see one this weekend.
There is Baby Mama (Tina Fey.) I'll probably wait for the rentals for that one.
Chronicles of Narnia opens today.
So does Speed Racer. I loved Emile Hirsch in Into the Wild, but obviously Speed Racer is a completely different film (made by the guys who did the Matrix.)
I liked Iron Man. Decent script, snappy dialogue.
The closing fight scene can't quite match the explosively good opening sequence, but still it is worth it to sit through the credits (listening to Ozzie Osborne play "Iron Man") so you can see Sgt Fury.
Robert Downey brought some soul, vulnerability and humor to the superhero role. I also enjoyed the almost unrecognizable Jeff Bridges--I think he is one of the most underrated actors working today.