Kayaking advice

Discussion in 'Sports and Recreation' started by iwishiwasthere, Jan 10, 2016.

1. iwishiwasthere

iwishiwasthere Beach Fanatic

I will be down the end of March. Where are the best places to kayak? I like the idea of the dune lakes, but I am not sure if some are better than others. Thanks for any help!

2. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Western Lake is fantastic. State Park, WaterColor, the beach, nooks & crannies, easy in and out at public boat ramp just down from the Red Bar. Or there's a launch in the state Park.

Don't forget life jacket and whistle. Sunscreen and a hat.

3. SoWalSitter

SoWalSitter Beach Comber

Holmes Creek in Washington County has pretty springs on it. The most popular is Cypress Springs. I've attached a photo. March is a good time to go as its not too crowded during that time. You can look up Snaggy Bend Outfitters (Vernon, FL) on Facebook and Google to get an address. The drive takes about 45 minutes from the intersection of 331 and 98 in South Walton.

Attached Files:

4. iwishiwasthere

iwishiwasthere Beach Fanatic

Thanks. I had not thought about the whistle ,but will bring one!!,

5. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Check with State Parks in the area. Grayton Beach State Park has canoes for rental on Western Lake, and the same at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. Kayaks are available at St Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach - a gorgeous spot to explore.

Camp Helen State Park has kayaks for rent again this season... a great place to paddle on Lake Powell - the largest coastal dune lake in the area.

Kayak rentals are currently available by Reservation Only through the Friends Website @ www.friendsofcamphelen.org/. Rentals will be available at the Park March 23 - April 10th for Spring Break Season. After that we will go back to the Reservations Only through the website until May 26th when we will resume rentals at the Park.

[​IMG]

You'll love exploring our state parks with extensive preserved coastal dunes, lakes, beaches and trails. Hike, bike, paddle and take it all in.

Read more about Florida State Parks at SoWal Parks Guide!

6. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

For access on the Eastern Side of Lake Powell, you can go east into Bay County about 2 miles from Camp Helen on Hwy 98 and turn left onto the road into The Wild Herron development. 2 blocks north of 98 is a bridge over the lake.

Just across the bridge on the right side you can walk down and put in. It's a bit overgrown right now but not too bad. Once in the water you can paddle west into the main part of the lake. But I prefer heading east into the marsh area . It winds back quite a ways, maybe a half mile ? I enjoy being on the small winding path with woods and marsh grass on both sides. Lots of birds, some osprey.

It gets narrower and narrower the farther back you go, eventually you are in the creek and into the trees. The creek is only a couple of feet wider than your kayak when you get way back there. Near the trees there is a long skinny channel which turns left and you go another short ways into the trees. Saw a small gator back there the first Tim I went and it was paddle length away, went under and swam away from me. I paddled my butt outta there pretty quick! Haven't seen Any other gators since.

I always park on the bridge and have never had an issue. People crab from the bridge as well. The road is public and not inside Wild Herron. You could access this area from the official Lake Powell boat ramp behind the Publix shopping center, but it is quite a paddle east, esp if there is wind.

I hope everyone has had a great Memorial Day and may you have a great next paddle!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

Hello again. Another Lake Powell paddling access point is the South Walton Co Fishing Pier just to the left of 682 N. Walton Lakeshore Dr., which is west of the Camp Helen entrance. The pier is small but has 5 parking spaces (2 on the pier side of road and 3 on opposite side).

I've paddled to the left and was able to wind back pretty far but not as far as the creek on the eastern side in the above post. There are a couple other inlets of the lake to expire from here as well.

This is from my morning walk to the outfall of Lake Powell. This boat made it into the gulf but if the water was a bit lower he'd not have made it. The current is flowing pretty strong into the Lake right now.

Attached Files:

8. Heather Bennett

Heather Bennett Beach Comber

I learned in an outdoors class to blow 3 times if in distress, someone should answer you with 2.

9. Heather Bennett

Heather Bennett Beach Comber

Does anyone have any companies they would suggest for guided kayak tours?

10. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

www.friedfishexcursions.com - William Pentel

11. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

Checked this spot yesterday and the overgrowth is now cut back, so a nice path again to the water.

Really surprised no one has checked this out and given thoughts... oh well!

heading out now to paddle the outflow of Lake Powell. Bay County Beach Access 98 is within Pinnacle Port, so you have to ask for a pass at the gate, but it's a pretty short portage from parking lot to the beach, and short paddle to the outfall, which is still open btw, i checked it yesterday a.m.

hope to get onto the artificial reef off Grayton Beach SP today. been loving the calm clear water so far this week. there's a nice channel on our beach between shore & 1st sandbar, so snorkeling has been great without even having to get in the car!

Eat a Peach for Peace!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

bumping thread. heading down in few days and am pumped to take a peek at my favorite spots to paddle!!!!

anyone else tried the bridge into Wild Heron?

13. ashley2surf

ashley2surf Beach Comber

I own The Rental Shop 30A. We do bike, kayak, and paddle board rentals. Im not sure about Wild Heron, however I think a great spot is at the boat ramp in Grayton Beach. Its basically at the end of the road by The Red Bar restaurant off Banfill street. Get in the water and head straight to the little cove area. It is fun to explore and goes within the state park. You will end up in Western Lake, and can go under highway 30a behind Watercolor. You can also kayak and paddle board through the lagoon area at Grayton Beach if you paddle right when you first get in the water. Not sure if this helps but its one of my go to spots. It can give someone hours of fun and exploring and blocks out the wind if the ocean is choppy.

14. Bluznbeach

Bluznbeach Beach Lover

If you're going to Lake Powell, there's a public boat ramp off 98 east of Camp Helen and Carillon Beach. Go past Winn-Dixie and Publix, take a U-turn, and turn right on Lake Powell Drive. It's usually not crowded and has bathrooms. From there, you can paddle anywhere on the lake.

15. TimeIsFree

TimeIsFree Beach Comber

bumping again.

hey BluznBeach, yes, i know there's the public boat ramp on Lake Powell, but i don't care for the long paddle to the backwaters, and when the wind is blowing the wrong way, and makes for a terrible paddle back to the ramp. putting in at the Wild Heron bridge allows instant access to the best part of the lake.

when i paddled this section last summer, the rains had cleared the channel / creek at the end even more, and i got WAY back there. it was a blast seeing how far i could get. i hope it's still opened up when i get back there this May.

Safe paddles, and post your experiences!

16. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

It may have changed but don't think you can bring your own kayaks to our state parks. But they have rentals...

17. soappedaler

soappedaler Beach Fanatic

You can bring them to the beach in all state parks. You can use them in Western Lake and Deer Lake, the only place you can't bring your own but can rent them is Campbell Lake in Topsail. This Lake is pristine, no invasive plants like the other lakes, by keeping outside boats out they lessen the chance of invasives entering Campbell Lake.
    I have kayaked to the reef at Topsail then snorkeled briefly, it's hard to snorkel and tow the kayak. Snorkeled the reef at Grayton and just swam out, also towed an orange inflatable boat to the reef while swimming, that was harder than just swimming.