• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Beach cams today - daily fix - looks like two red flags. I guess even in cold water you have to have the two red flags/water closed.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Yes - we get people swimming all year round - and it's Spring Break. Surf is building to 10 feet tomorrow and will likely be rip currents also even after it clams down a bit.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Thanks. I guess folks could put wetsuits on and try surfing. I hope it will be an uneventful Spring Break season for you and that you can get to the grocery, etc.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Please don't encourage people to go in the water...

Its serious and the first responders don't need to be running up and down 98 for water rescues this week. The rips that are coming will be bad enough.

Please educate the tourists about the dangerous conditions.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
The gulf was beautiful, powerful, and angry today. I didn't see anybody out in it this afternoon.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Oh, I'm not encouraging anyone ever to go in when there are double red flags. We visit two or three times a year. Have conversations with a few fellow beach goers who have never been there before and have no idea what the flags mean.
We were there early 2000s maybe and the week before, a woman from our part of the country had died the week before. I don't know if there were flags then. Or if there were the double red or if we just didn't understand how dangerous the water can be.
Also, the thought of anyone trying to rescue someone who goes out in the water when there are double red flags especially if the 'swimmer' knew the risks and didn't care.
I usually don't out if there is one red flag...the waves where me out.
I hope there will be no rescues this year but sometimes you hear of so many in one day.
One year we were at the Fort Lauderdale area for the Orange Bowl. 20 something rescues in one day, 2 deaths.
Ellen

TimeIsFree

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2008
ahhh, reminds me of a great atmospheric tune, The Ocean Doesn't Want Me, off Bone Machine by Tom Waits:

try this one on headphones, round dusk... the here/beer & hurt/shirt lines are perfect.

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me
The ocean doesn't want me today
But I'll be back tomorrow to play
And the strangels will take me
Down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
I'll open my head and let out
All of my time
I'd love to go drowning
And to stay and to stay
But the ocean doesn't want me today