• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm contemplating buying a one or two-bedroom Katrina cottage and placing it on a half-acre lot in Inlet Beach. It needs to make financial sense for me to make the investment.

It would have great views of the Gulf from the deck and would be about a 5 minute walk to the beach. You would have limited views of the Gulf from the cottage because of all the trees. The deck is about 4 feet off the ground.

I would allow dogs with breed restrictions.

The 2-bedroom cottage is 728 square feet and has one bath.

The 1-bedroom cottages are easier to find and are about 400 square feet.

What could I reasonably expect to get in rent?

Thanks again for your input.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm no expert. I think nice two bedrooms are around $1,200 per month. Possibly higher that close to the gulf. I hope someone chimes in.

Have you considered short term? You might get that much per week in summer. Less if it is north of 98.

Can you tell us where you get and how much katrina cottages are, and what you expect your total investment to be in the cottage alone without the lot?

Making financial sense depends on factors such as cash or financing, down payment, how long you hold it, etc. so it's hard to say without more details.

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
If you own the lot free and clear, then maybe. But seems small for a family vacation rental.if the cottage is practically free then YES, and later add on to it. I would say about $800-$900 pre week for about 8 maybe 10 weeks in season , plus $500 ish 4-5 weeks for spring break....IMO

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Thanks for your input.

I own the lot and plan on keeping it at least 3 years. It's south of 98 and because of its elevation it has really nice views.

The good thing about a Katrina Cottage is that I should be able to sell it for close to what I pay for it. It will cost about $5K for moving and set-up.

I will probably do a long term lease rather than vacation/short term. There's a dearth of long term rentals on 30A. I've also found that there's much more wear and tear with short term. There are always exceptions of course.

Last edited:

gib ycnan

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2006
What is the neighborhood like?
Are you making your neighbors property values go down?

tomboymuldowney

Beach Comber
Jul 3, 2012
Thanks for your input. I own the lot and plan on keeping it at least 3 years. It's south of 98 and because of its elevation it has really nice views. The good thing about a Katrina Cottage is that I should be able to sell it for close to what I pay for it. It will cost about $5K for moving and set-up. I will probably do a long term lease rather than vacation/short term. There's a dearth of long term rentals on 30A. I've also found that there's much more wear and tear with short term. There are always exceptions of course.

Can I ask where you bought/found the Katrina cottage? Thanks

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
No, I don't think a Katrina Cottage would bring the property values down. They've put some in Seaside. I hate to use the word cute, but they're pretty cute.

They are very well-built and can withstand 150mph winds. They are rather small, however.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
I haven't bought a cottage yet, I'm currently looking. They come up for sale occasionally but usually go quickly because of demand/lack of supply.

There is a one-bedroom for sale in Gulfport but it needs work and, in my opinion, they're asking too much.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Were they originally made in a factory?

Maybe someone knows of some attractive manufactured cottage models to buy new. Google search brings up lots of options but hard to know where to begin.

Hidden

Beach Comber
Sep 22, 2013
Greetings pmd8:

Have you tried looking at the Tiny House Newsletter. It would be tinyhousetalk.com. This might be another option for you to explore.
And if you go ahead with your project I will be the first in line to apply for a long-term rental situation.
I am quiet and professional, employed for Seaside as Security Director. Looking for somewhere a little off the beat and path,
and quiet. I currently live on 30A.
The best of luck in your search for the perfect home for your property and keep me in mind for your future endeavor.