• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
If you are anywhere near vegetation on a dune then you are too close. You don't need to be that close to get a great beach photo. Photographers especially should know better. Maybe we need to have training before you can become a beach photographer?

Our dune system is very fragile. They protect us and are beautiful. Please stay off the dunes.

One photo posted like this tells visitors to our beaches that it's ok to be on the dunes. Visitors may not know better, locals should.

2016-09-27-00.07.jpg

Also - beach vendors are often piling stuff on the dunes. They should not do that.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
It's called "Customary Use". I've done it for years and I'll bring all my photos to the County Attorney at the posted work shop!

Yippie!!!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I also support the small businesses that promote this activity!!!

Can't beat 'em join 'em!

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I am housesitting a beach front home for a few days while the owner is out of town. Yesterday, a family of four parked in the driveway, out of sight from the street, proceeded to ring the doorbell (caught on camera), discover that nobody was there at the moment, and proceeded to help themselves to the walkway around the house, the walkover, the dunes, etc before they got to the beach where they enjoyed the beach for an hour and a half or so. When they headed back up to the dunes and my friend's walkover, I asked them where they were going and they replied that their friend (who was not my friend/owner) told them they could come there to go to the beach. I directed them to the nearest public beach access a short walk away. Things like this just might be part of the reason that beachfront owners around here are frustrated. I can honestly say that I have never had anything like this happen at my inland property.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I am housesitting a beach front home for a few days while the owner is out of town. Yesterday, a family of four parked in the driveway, out of sight from the street, proceeded to ring the doorbell (caught on camera), discover that nobody was there at the moment, and proceeded to help themselves to the walkway around the house, the walkover, the dunes, etc before they got to the beach where they enjoyed the beach for an hour and a half or so. When they headed back up to the dunes and my friend's walkover, I asked them where they were going and they replied that their friend (who was not my friend/owner) told them they could come there to go to the beach. I directed them to the nearest public beach access a short walk away. Things like this just might be part of the reason that beachfront owners around here are frustrated. I can honestly say that I have never had anything like this happen at my inland property.
This is why we have more and more locks, gates, and fences.

Too bad good people weren't around years ago before development began and had the public interest in mind. I've been to places where all beach is public and there are accesses every hundred yards or so. So friendly!

Private beaches are one of the worst things in human history.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016

Too bad good people weren't around years ago before development began and had the public interest in mind. I've been to places where all beach is public and there are accesses every hundred yards or so. So friendly!

Private beaches are one of the worst things in human history.
My friend has no locks, chains, gate, etc. Never has. Only some sand fencing in the dunes. The problems are with disrespectful people who feel entitled to do what they want rather than take a considerate approach. Up until the last 5 years or so, this whole private beach issue was practically non-existent. Actually, I suspect it started with the artificial re-nourishment projects in Destin and the far west section of Walton County (Miramar Beach area) and just gained momentum with the increase in tourism and the perceived attacks on personal property rights.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am absolutely "Beach Without Boundaries" but I have recently tried to look at it from the beachfront homeowners point of view. And while I still staunchly think that the public is entitled to use ALL of the beach seaward of the MHWL..I can see that some owners (that bought their property strictly as an investment) see this as some sort of "land grab" which it is NOT. I also understand that they didnt have full realization of the boundary line (MHWL=fluctuations) issue. But from this post by fact or fiction I can see this from a different angle.... What if these people that came and rang the bell then decided to just park and make themselves at home ,so to speak, had some less than legal intentions? We all know that with the moniker of an "affluent neighborhood" comes the increase of people that REALLY want to "grab" something. This is the time when we all need to reassure each other that we "have each others backs"... this is the way it has ALWAYS been in SOWAL and it shouldnt stop now. So what those of you that are lucky (or hardworking) enough to be able to be a "beachfront owner" need to realize is that those of us that can only afford to live off the beach arent trying to take your property...we only want to continue enjoying it as we have for decades. And if we work together and get along , we will be your "eyes" and your "property management". Just dont alienate us , because we are your first line of defense and we recognize what is out of place around here.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
They were using the case of Customary Use. They have probably been to that beach front historically and just want to say hello to the new homeowner.

They than went and enjoyed their beach.

It's going to continue.