• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Are puppy obedience classes offered in South Walton? Thanks.

Congrats on your new puppy and kudos to you for realizing that this is so important. if more people did this, there would be less behaviour issues and less animals put down or in animal shelters.

I do not know of any trainers personally, but you call Alaqua Animal Refuge and ask them if know of any trainers who hold classes or do one on one training. Your vet should also be a good source.

I know Petsmart has positive reinforcement training in group sessions, but it is very generic, but good for socialization, if not for anything else. I know it is also a bargain. I would also ask how many years experience they have, what methods they use, etc. because I heard that some Petsmart trainers have only 80 hours of training and then put in the class. Others, like my local one, have a trainer with 10 years experience, trains the group sessions and offers one on one, which you may find you need.

A good book to get is "My Smart Puppy", by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. It also comes with a video. Brian has many years of experience training all types of dogs and personalities. If you go to mysmartpuppy.com, they have a forum with answers by multiple trainers who use their methods as well as questions answered by Sarah Wilson.

Good luck and have funn training and enjoying your new forever fur friend.

Now, I am going to go take my sleepy 8 week old rescue puppy out for his last tinkle of the evening.:love: