• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Lets celebrate San Miguel Day on Tuesday, September 29!!

brenda-rees-albums-san-miguel-de-allende-mexico-picture5012-parade-san-miquel-028-what-wonderful-surprise-catch-parade-through-streets-san-miguel-2008.jpg

We don't have a parade like this planned, but some of us will wear our San Miguel shoes. Picture: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.

There are many current and historical connections between SoWal, San Miguel Day and San Miguel de Allende. Read more about this on my blog.

My original research indicates that around this date in 1528, Narvaez and Cabeza de Vaca were sailing by the shores of South Walton, Florida. This would make them some of the areas earliest European visitors.

Tuesday, September 29 is the regular Martini Night at Caf? Thirty-A located in the heart of 30-A. I’ll be there with fellow local history enthusiast Maunsel White, and many of his Seagrove Beach relatives and our friends, to remember our areas early Spanish Explorers and today’s SoWal San Miguel Travelers. Perhaps we can invent the “San Miguel Martini!” Join us about 5:30 p.m. for a toast. Other treats may be presented.

There are a number of SoWal establishments with wonderful Spanish and Mexican dishes and drinks. This would be a good day to visit them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
San Miguel Day is almost here. Narvaez should have launched his makeshift boats and be staging the start of his trip back to Mexico. The winds are up in SoWal. Today they are from the west, tomorrow they'll probably be strong from the north. Those who sail would have to say how this would have affected Narvaez and his fellow explorers as they sailed past SoWal in 1528. Tomorrow, September 29, is a San Miguel Day. Hope you have special plans to eat out at any number of Spanish and Mexican food influenced establishments. We'll be at Cafe 30A for Tuesday's regular "Martini Night" around 5:30 p.m.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
I hope some special SoWaller is back from Italy and will be recovered enough from jet lag to attend. Also heard while out and about tonight at the Santa Rosa Beach Club that a certain San Miguel/SoWal homeowner is in SoWal this week. Hope they can stop by, too.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Man..........I wish I could be there!!:bang:
Hope all you San Miguelers have funn!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I love this! The 29th is my birthday and although I always knew it was the feast day of St. Michael the Archangel, I didn't know that anyone but the English really celebrated it. (It's Michaelmas there and they eat goose for dinner traditionally.) I think I will ditch the poultry from now on for my birthday dinner and do Mexican!!! :clap: