Sara Comander not seeking re-election

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by FactorFiction, Jan 23, 2018.

1. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Sara Comander announced at today's BCC meeting that she will not seek re-election to the BCC due to health reasons. Personally, I will miss her calm, thoughtful demeanor. I believe her to be a person of integrity. I wish her all the best and hope that her health issues can be handled so that she has a long (and far less stressful) life ahead of her. Thank you for all you have done for Walton County, Sara!

2. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Whoaaa, Big Shake Up coming.

3. bob bob

bob bob Beach Lover

Another seat up for sale.

If you own the board at 3-2, how much do you spend to go 4-1?

4. Abby Prentiss

Abby Prentiss Beach Fanatic

5. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

No. Danny Glidewell will run against C. Jones.

6. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Sara Comander announces she will not seek re-election

By DOTTY NIST

Sara Comander has announced that she will not seek re-election to the District 4 seat on the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) in which she has served since 2006.

Comander made the announcement as she presented items under her name on the agenda for the Jan. 23 BCC regular meeting at the Walton County Courthouse.
    Becoming emotional at times during the announcement, the 71-year old commissioner told the gathering that she had served "a wonderful 12 years," but had made the decision not to run due to "some rather severe health problems"--- and because she felt it would not be fair to run and, if elected, possibly not be able to serve another full four-year term because of those health issues.

Comander voiced "pleasure and pride," in what the BCC as a group had accomplished during her time on the commission. Thanking everyone she had worked with, she described herself as "fired up," to accomplish still more during the remaining months of her term---including making broadband available to all areas of the county where still needed (a project she has spearheaded), and giving her all to ensure that Walton County receives the RESTORE Act funds that the county is due. Comander also emphasized that she intends to remain active in the community once her term as commissioner ends.

"We still want you to be a part," District 2 Commissioner Cecilia Jones responded, jokingly asking if the BCC could just decline to accept Comander's "resignation." District 5 Commissioner Tony Anderson commented that Comander had been a friend for a long time and thanked her for being a mentor to him since his election to the BCC in 2016. County Commission Chairman Bill Chapman was supportive of Comander's taking her health into consideration and told her that he looked forward to continuing to work with her over the next 10-11 months. District 3 Commissioner Melanie Nipper was not present for the meeting.

The BCC District 4 seat, along with the District 2 seat, are among the offices up for election in 2018. Before deciding not to run, Comander had already pre-filed to run for re-election. She is currently the only candidate to have pre-filed to run for the District 4 seat in the 2018 elections.

7. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Rumor has it Scott Brannon already has his childhood friend Trey Nick lined up to run and if elected, raise taxes, raise taxes, raise taxes.

8. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Scott Brannon's Idea. According to Brannon..."Let's Make Walton County Great Again"!

Scott Brannon's idea.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  9. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

Nick's is for raising taxes?

10. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

Scott Brannon is who is Trey's childhood buddy and rumored to be backing him along with the SBA.

11. Patriot Games

Patriot Games Beach Lover

If Nick is backed by Brannon and the SBA, why don't we just hand the keys to the county to Blue and about 6 attorneys and walk away. My god, do we always have to get some recruited POS who is friends with the people that have destroyed paradise. Nick must be stopped at all costs if this is his backing......

12. BJackson

BJackson Beach Comber

This is a picture of the signs placed out front of Nick's Restaurant in Basin Bayou by Trey Nick's grandfather. He was a firm believer that our taxes were way too high. He thought enough was enough and they needed to be voted out.

13. Patriot Games

What taxes does choctaw beach have.....Not much. LOL

14. Patriot Games

How can Brannon support anybody????? Has he put down the nose candy/pills? or does he still look like he traveled from overseas with no sleep except for the suit he is wearing and slept in?

15. Wilma Watson

Wilma Watson Beach Comber

Patriot games: How can you call someone a POS when you have never met them? That is classy. Trey Nick is not owned by anyone. Good luck trying. Yes, Nick’s is a restaurant which pays a large amount of state sales tax, employment taxes for at least 25 employees, and has been in existence since his grandfather opened a fish camp there in 1952. He is a generous donor to many civic organizations and schools. What have you done for Walton County?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

Trey is certainly friendly.

I don't know about his politics though. Can you tell us will he side with the pro-development current majority on the board? If Brannon is with him then I assume so.

17. Wilma Watson

Wilma Watson Beach Comber

As of today, I see he has not filed with the Supervisor of Elections as a candidate. If he does choose to run, I would ask him.

18. Patriot Games

I didn't say he was personally a POS, but I can tell you everybody in politics that Brannon and the SBA brought into our county government sure has been. If you lie down with dogs, you will surely get fleas. Has anyone ever seen Nick at a BCC meeting???????(Another Tony Anderson) Has he started any businesses from scratch besides ones he inherited? Has he ever had to work for someone besides family??? What is his educational background? Why don't you expand on all this person has done for the county from a leadership standpoint. I don't argue he is good to his community and I do like his food, but when it comes to managing the growth and building over 50 billion in beach assets you will find our BCC woefully under qualified. Bring the facts on Nick wilima, after 3 posts you are obviously here to troll, so bring it. If nick wants a hope in hell, he should distance himself from the groups like Scotts cronies and the SBA lawyer sponsored crowd we have watched destroy the area. Easy to say you don't see a problem with the change with a building and business circa 1952, I guess he is up on things. Basin Bayou although wonderful is not a measure of the issues in this county.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  19. Kaydence

Kaydence Beach Fanatic

I can say that if any member of the SBA backs his run (which I have heard Frank Watson is going to do)...I suspect you know the answer to the question. :)

20. Patriot Games

Read my post carefully Wilma, it calls who we have gotten a POS. We don't have Nick yet, but if we get him and he acts like the terrible triplets, Scott and the rest of the trash has, I will surely call him a POS in public with no regret. Bet on it.