• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWal Staff

Serving the Community!
Staff member
Apr 14, 2006
South Walon, FL
SoWal.com

photo: Seagrove Village Market Cafe

Long, hot days on the beach, and booze-infused nights call for serious nutrient replenishment. Enter the cheeseburger - all five food groups stacked to perfection in one delicious bite. For our latest SoWal list, we took on the painstaking task of narrowing down some of our top burgers. And yes…we tried them all!

If we missed your favorite, say your piece in the comments below. Whatever you do, grab a good burger and help save millions of innocent plants from slaughter. Except potatoes. They go with the burgers in the form of glorious fries (no corn starch coatings please)!

Marie’s Bistro
Marie’s All-American Cheeseburger is a ½ lb of hand pattied Black Angus beef that’s best grilled to order at medium or medium-rare temperature. The good basic burger is topped with tomato, lettuce, onion and pickle. Or you can fancy it up and get Marie’s Bistro Burger topped with a blend of feta, tomato and Kalamata olives. Blue Mountain Beach

The Bay
The Bay's classic Bay Burger is made with two 3 oz. patties of 80% lean chuck and a 20% blend of pork and beef fat to keep it light, as opposed to a dense, heavy burger. Keep it simple with lettuce, tomato and onion, or opt to make it a bacon cheeseburger.

If you want to kick it up a notch, order the Bomber Burger that was featured on Emeril’s Florida. Chef Jim Shirley’s Super and Street sauces are simple with a couple of secret ingredients that bring out the key flavors in the burger. Santa Rosa Beach

Seagrove Village Market Café
Seagrove Village Market Café is a perfect hole-in-the-wall lunchtime spot that’s been slingin’ burgers since 1949. Their Famous Market Burger is a low fat brisket blend grilled on a flat top so there’s practically zero shrinkage. That makes for a true ½ lb. burger bomb.

Owners George and Ann Hartley are marvelous storytellers. Legend has it that on one fateful day George cooked 4-5 different kinds of fries and took the baskets out for the customers to try. In a near unanimous decision, the customers picked the fries that Seagrove Village Market Café serves to this day, and George wouldn’t have it any other way.
Seagrove Village Market Café gives you opportunities galore to embrace your inner glutton, hence the Southern Burger topped with homemade jalapeno pimento cheese, the BBQ Bacon Burger topped with coleslaw or you can make your own burger topped with anything from avocado to mushroom Swiss. Seagrove Beach

Destin Diner
This truly absorbent phenomenon is a novelty at the Destin Diner and tops the list as one of the best burgers in town. The lean, dense burger made with all natural beef is slow cooked to medium well and never squished so it holds all those juices that run down your hands when you take that first bite. The old fashioned cheeseburger - served with awesome fries and topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and a pickle on a sesame seed bun - is similar to the version that has sobered up many a Red Bar patron at the diner's sister location in Grayton Beach.

The iconic silver diner serves handmade milkshakes, with booze or without, that complement the classic burger perfectly. Swing by for local’s night every Tuesday for 1/2 off drinks and 20% off food. Or stop in late on Friday and Saturday nights, from 10 pm-2 am, and build your own burger with all the toppings you want for $1 more. Destin

Johnny McTighe’s Irish Pub
McTighe’s is loaded with kitschy charm and just happens to serve one of the most ridiculously delicious cheeseburgers in SoWal. The Pub Burger is 100% Irish/American Angus Beef served with a kosher dill pickle spear and seasoned shoestring fries that make the meal. People watching at McTighe’s should be an Olympic sport. Word to the wise: DO NOT order decaf coffee at an Irish Pub, lest you be laughed at and treated with sarcasm. Blue Mountain Beach

FOR photos of all of these burgers read the SoWal LIST story on the home page!

Read more...

We'd love to hear what you think...you can comment here or on the story page. Feel free to share on your site, blog, facebook, or any other site.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
We haven't been to George's lately because the prices are so high...not for the "average" local, but they do have a great burger and their fries are great.

98 BBQ has a really good, decently priced burger and their fries are some of the best i(maybe the best) in SOWAL.

We really like the Seagrove Market burger(not as good as George's) but the fries have that coating on them and I have your exact sentiments....(No Corn Starch Coating Please)!...But again, the price is right.

There are others but don't rank high enough to get my comments.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I wondered why Sally's was not mentioned earlier.

tide12

Beach Lover
May 9, 2006
We haven't been to George's lately because the prices are so high...not for the "average" local, but they do have a great burger and their fries are great.

98 BBQ has a really good, decently priced burger and their fries are some of the best i(maybe the best) in SOWAL.

We really like the Seagrove Market burger(not as good as George's) but the fries have that coating on them and I have your exact sentiments....(No Corn Starch Coating Please)!...But again, the price is right.

There are others but don't rank high enough to get my comments.

YES. Frozen "crispy" fries are garbage, and I WILL NOT eat any place that serves them. Like Whiskey Bravo. They should be ashamed to serve that filth.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
YES. Frozen "crispy" fries are garbage, and I WILL NOT eat any place that serves them. Like Whiskey Bravo. They should be ashamed to serve that filth.

I don't go to whiskey Bravo for the fries. Gotta have that grouper sandwich. BTW, we need a grouper sandwich list!

Many of your burger comments in this forum over the last few months helped us narrow down the list for the latest burger list.