• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The Whole Shebang - February 20,21 ONLY!

The-Whole-Shebang-Poster.jpg

The Seaside Repertory Theatre Internship Program will be performing its second annual production February 20th and 21st. The Whole Shebang, by Rich Orloff will take place in the Meeting Hall Theatre, and will mark the first production of the Rep's 2009 Season. Tickets for the event are $10, and can be purchased in advance at Seaside Repertory Theatre | Seaside, Florida | Plays, Movies, Improv Comedy Shows or by calling the box office at 231-0733. One can also donate to the 2009 internship program online while purchasing tickets.

Last year, the Rep defended the decision of the South Walton High School Drama program in its selection of No?l Coward's Blithe Spirit by letting the students mount the show in the Meeting Hall Theatre. The show was a huge success, with nary an empty seat to be found. Since there is not a Blithe Spirit 2: Return of the S?ance, the students decided on Orloff's comedic one-act. The play asks the question, "What if the creation of the universe was a master's student's thesis?" The production has a $10 admission and will be in the Seaside Meeting Hall Theatre.

Rarely do actors get the opportunity to meet the playwright of the production on which they are currently working. Thanks to the cooperation between the Seaside Institute's Escape to Create program and the Seaside Repertory Theatre, the Rep High School Interns had that chance. Orloff was one of eight artists chosen to take part in the Institute's creative residency program.

"I knew that this was a great opportunity for the interns to ask Rich questions about his play and his process in creating it," says Associate Director Kevin Boyle who is also co-directing the show with intern Brianna Weintraub. "I know that it will help them in understanding what he was trying to do with the show." The interns were able to sit down with Orloff and ask questions about his background in theatre and his motivation to write the play.

"It was a little awkward at first, because it was kind of intimidating to meet a playwright," recalls Weintraub, a senior at South Walton. "But he was very down to earth and shared a lot with us. I know that this is a once in a lifetime chance." Even Rep Executive Director Craige Hoover has only met one playwright of a show he has been in. "I had the chance in college but never since," says Hoover. "We wanted to make sure that they understood the rarity of this situation."

"The program is so important to the vitality of our theatre and our presence in the community," adds Boyle. "This is a great chance for the students to have fun producing a show and to raise money for their program."

The Whole Shebang

By Rich Orloff
February 20, 21 @ 7:00pm
Meeting Hall Theatre
Tickets $10

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Whole Shebang cast, with playwright Rich Orloff!
( a few cast members were missing for the pic)

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Good morning SoWallers and Rep supporters!

The Rep is looking forward to seeing lots of familiar faces in the crowd Friday and Saturday! This is the second year of the Rep internship program, and we are so proud of these students!:clap:

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
I am getting so excited to see this show! The Rep interns are such a fantastic bunch, I am constantly amazed by their talent and dedication. This will be a great production you won't want to miss... Tickets really are selling fast, so call the box office before we sell out!