• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
DSCN4466.jpg

DSCN4465.jpg

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Re: Seawal installation - behind Seagrove Villas

Yikes :eek: That wall looks huge. I guess unless they tear down the "Inn" they have to fortify it somehow. But the sand that they are backfilling that with is brown dirt. :eek: Not to wish it upon anyone....but....what happens if/when a storm comes thru and blows away the wall and then the brown muck is spread all over the beach?! Maybe there is no other option here?

Thoughts??

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

OMG, I am in shock!!!! This is where I have stayed the last 7 years I have been to SoWal. We stay in the 3rd room down from where kurt took this picture, right out the back door. I have tears rolling down my face. I can't believe they are having to do this. The sand looks awful. I have so many mixed feelings about it. I want to be able to stay there again, because we have so many memories there, and I truly love it. However, at what cost. I just don't know how I feel. :dunno: :dunno:

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
You think it looks big from this side you should see it from the beach! :eek:

We were on the beach this last weekend, and this was the tallest seawall structure by far. (Though there were many others under construction)

Pretty shocking :shock:

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Do you think this seawall meets the requirement as being placed ?as close to the structure as practical??.

Yesterday I walked by and there was a ?stop order? from the county requiring removal of the red sand.

Check out the pilings to the west of this seawall that I presume are to be used to construct another monster seawall about 30 feet out on the beach.

I also checked out the seawalls at Blue Mountain beach public access-they really intrude onto the beach.

If you have concerns about this you can contact County Commissioner Cindy Meadows at: "Cindy Meadows" <meacindy@co.walton.fl.us>

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
Yesterday I walked by and there was a ?stop order? from the county requiring removal of the red sand.

As big of an issue as this has been, beach front owners should know the color of sand that is to be brought on to the beach. IMO, there should be a mighty heafty fine imposed on those owners who are allowing this "dirt" to be placed on the beach for their wellbeing. These requirements are established for a reason and the county should not have to be going out everyday and putting a stop work notice on someones work because of the improper color of the sand. I am thankful our hard earned tax dollars are at work.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I saw those pilings hi n dry (hi neighbor) over the weekend. Those are for seawalls? The seawalls are wood? Pardon me?

Can someone explain to me what this is all about. I know that even battered concrete seawalls can crumble and fall apart. How will this wood not rot? Covered by sand that can and will get damp? Water (rain, tides) will seep through the sand and wick right into that wood. Won't it? I just don't understand it. IT MAKES NO SENSE. Someone explain. Please. :bang:

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri

kathydwells said:
OMG, I am in shock!!!! This is where I have stayed the last 7 years I have been to SoWal. We stay in the 3rd room down from where kurt took this picture, right out the back door. I have tears rolling down my face. I can't believe they are having to do this. The sand looks awful. I have so many mixed feelings about it. I want to be able to stay there again, because we have so many memories there, and I truly love it. However, at what cost. I just don't know how I feel. :dunno: :dunno:

I thought about you the minute I read this , remember it is still the same place that you love and you will make new and wonderful memories here. It does look bad, but that will get filled in and possibly have grass on top?? The charm of that place will surely still remain, just with the lack of sand dunes. WE CAN STILL PAR-TAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seagrove Beach will always be that special place you enjoyed for so many years. :love:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
my favorite place place to stay in pcb (best western del coronado) got torn down for a condo parking lot - so which is a worse way for it to go, natural disaster or man-made mistake. from the look of the building, even if the seawall holds for next season, you will eventually have to look elsewhere for you new favorite place as this one appears to be having a pretty rough time.
gotta go, but I feel your pain.