• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
What were you doing that day? We were hunker'd down with the SWFD Chief waiting for sunrise so we could check out SoWal for damage. Doesn't seem like seven years ago...

Attachments

• Hurrican-Ivan1.jpg
    Hurrican-Ivan1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 76

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hey - thanks for posting.

Hurricane Ivan, South Walton County on Scenic 30A
40914-004.jpg
Seaside, Florida​

40915-ivan-001.jpg
Grayton Beach, Florida
40915-ivan-003.jpg
40915-ivan-021.jpg
North Highway 393 in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
40915-ivan-024.jpg
Off Indian Woman Road in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
40915-ivan-044.jpg
Dune Allen Beach, Florida
40915-ivan-046.jpg
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
40915-ivan-054.jpg
Santa Rosa Beach Fort Panic Walkover
40915-ivan-061.jpg
40915-ivan-068.jpg
40915-ivan-122.jpg
WaterColor, Florida
40915-ivan-124.jpg
Seaside, Florida
40920-ivan-010.jpg
Rosemary Beach, Florida
40920-ivan-028.jpg
WaterSound Beach, Florida
40920-ivan-076.jpg
WaterSound Beach, Florida​

40924-084.jpg
Seagrove Beach, Florida​

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Ivan was a Cape Verde-type hurricane that began as Tropical Depression Nine on September 2. It became a tropical storm on September 3, and a hurricane on September 5 while 1,040 miles (1670 km) east of the Windward Islands, at 9.9° N. Later that day, while at 10.6° N, it unexpectedly underwent rapid strengthening, reaching Category 4 intensity by that evening. It was the strongest storm to have ever been known to intensify that far south. Ivan weakened slightly while continuing westward, and struck Grenada on September 7.[13]

While moving westward through the Caribbean Sea, Ivan quickly intensified to a Category 5 hurricane. It fluctuated in strength over the next few days, and passed within 30 miles (50 km) of Grand Cayman on September 11. Ivan grazed western Cuba as a Category 5, and moved into the Gulf of Mexico. The hurricane turned northward over cooler waters, and made landfall in southern Alabama on September 16 as a 120 mph (195 km/h) hurricane. Ivan weakened rapidly to a tropical depression over Alabama, accelerated to the northeast, and became extratropical over the Delmarva Peninsula on September 18. Ivan's remnants turned to the southeast then southwest, and gradually re-organized over the warm Gulf Stream waters. After crossing southern Florida on September 21 the system regained tropical characteristics over the Gulf of Mexico, and became a tropical storm on September 23 while 140 miles (220 km) south of Louisiana. Ivan moved to the northwest, and reached winds of 60 mph (95 km/h) before making landfall near Cameron, Louisiana. Ivan quickly deteriorated over Texas, and dissipated on September 24.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
There's something silly and awesome about that...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Awesome photos, Kurt. Thank God we got all those walkovers repaired in time for Dennis.

Last edited:
Awesome photos, Kurt. Thank God we all all those walkovers repaired in time for Dennis.
Tell me about it. Our neighborhood (7 of us) had paid James Foley to build a gorgeous cypress sitting area for us, featured in Coastal Living. It was under construction before Ivan but not completed until right before Dennis. We neighbors got to sit on it once. Dennis washed it away. I walked up and down the beach looking for it. Found some inexpensive walkovers, but no cypress ones.

Here are some Ivan photos. First experience after a hurricane. It was amazing how all of the leaves turned brown.

Attachments

• beachIvan.jpg
    beachIvan.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 77
  • brownLeavesIvan.jpg
    brownLeavesIvan.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 72
  • noDiving1.jpg
    noDiving1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 80

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
We watched in horror from Missouri and then drove to the beach to check our rentals, I will always remember walking on the barren beach with my small grandson and we saw the black dog statue, Kurt had posted picture of it earlier. Somehow that it survived that storm seemed a good omen to me.

We watched in horror from Missouri and then drove to the beach to check our rentals, I will always remember walking on the barren beach with my small grandson and we saw the black dog statue, Kurt had posted picture of it earlier. Somehow that it survived that storm seemed a good omen to me.
Oh, do you mean this one?

When we returned to check on the house, we saw that dog facing the Gulf. We thought it was a real dog. We were amazed how well-trained it was, as though it's owner had said, "Sit, stay." Then we walked over to it. We started laughing when we realized it was a statue from the top of our neighbors' walkover. The evening before we had to leave due to Ivan, one of our neighbor's daughter got married at the base their walkover. Very blustery weather.

I loved that the dog became a shrine. Someone put a bandana on it, others left toys and dog treats. Just amazing. :love:

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 74

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My first hurricane - scared the crap out of me not knowing what was going on (this was pre Sowal.com) and driving back from evacuating it seemed like it was me, the Red Cross, and the utility trucks on the road.

On the plus side, I got to visit relatives and putting your valuables in the car really helps you downsize later - if you don't love it enough to save it, you can probably get rid of it.