• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melliedee

Beach Comber
Mar 12, 2010
Ohio
Hi all,

Is there a dive shop near Grayton to rent snorkeling gear or is it best to bring your own? Also, are there any charters for day snorkeling trips off the beach?

Thanks!

Melanie

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I always bring my own gear. I don't know of any shore trips but you can go to St. Andrew's park and they have a shuttle that goes over to Shell Island. That is a nice trip but make sure you take plenty of water. There is a dive shop in Destin that has Snorkling trips but I can't remember their name. They take trips to Crab Island and then take you to the Jetties in Destin. If you are adventurous and in good shape you can snorkle out to the second sandbar. here is more to see out there. Or you can rent a kayak and paddle out there and have a temporary base for snorkling on the second sand bar.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Kishy is correct - most people head over to St. Andrews State Park area next to the jetties at Panama City Beach. You can hop on a boat or rent your own runabout or pontoon. Plenty in Destin also. SoWal beaches are bare by comparison. It is still funn but not as much to see.

melliedee

Beach Comber
Mar 12, 2010
Ohio
Thank you!

I like the kayak idea, but I am traveling with someone who probably wouldn't be game (my mom!). I'm trying to ease her into beach stuff so I can lure her to finally go to Mexico with me. She discovered this Grayton area and has always wanted to visit, so we ditched my dad, who doesn't like to fly, and decided to make it a girls' trip. :D

I was kind of looking for those half day snorkeling trips, where they take you out to a cool spot, supply the gear, and provide lunch and drinks on the boat?

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Thank you!

I like the kayak idea, but I am traveling with someone who probably wouldn't be game (my mom!). I'm trying to ease her into beach stuff so I can lure her to finally go to Mexico with me. She discovered this Grayton area and has always wanted to visit, so we ditched my dad, who doesn't like to fly, and decided to make it a girls' trip. :D

I was kind of looking for those half day snorkeling trips, where they take you out to a cool spot, supply the gear, and provide lunch and drinks on the boat?
Try the shops in Destin or Pamama City. They may have exactly what you are looking for.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thank you!

That would be in Destin or Panama City Beach. You can rent a boat off of Grayton Beach but they usually take fishermen and charge about $400 for half day. There is no other charter boat access to the gulf in SoWal except maybe Baytowne marina in Sandestin but you would start out from the bay and go about 20 minutes to get to Destin pass where all the Destin charters leave from.

melliedee

Beach Comber
Mar 12, 2010
Ohio
I will check out Destin. I'm having some trouble envisioning how close all these beach towns are to one another? My friend familiar with the area says we could ride bikes from Grayton to Seaside, but Destin is farther? If you know of a good online map, or one I can order, that would be much appreciated.

We have a rental car for the week, but honestly I'd rather bike or hoof it most places. :D

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I will check out Destin. I'm having some trouble envisioning how close all these beach towns are to one another? My friend familiar with the area says we could ride bikes from Grayton to Seaside, but Destin is farther? If you know of a good online map, or one I can order, that would be much appreciated.

We have a rental car for the week, but honestly I'd rather bike or hoof it most places. :D
You are probably right in the middle of Panama City to the East and Destin to the West. I believe 30-A is a 18mile stretch with all of the little beachtowns along the way with Inlet Beach the eastend ans Sunrise beach the west end of 30-A. Panama City is about a 20 to 30 minute drive to the east and Destin about the same to the west.