• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
Do we really want to spend money on world renown sport complexes in an effort to bring even more tourists here?

....one of the surest ways to siphon tourists away from neighboring counties is to lower tourist taxes, not increase them. Particularly if you're interesting in attracting middle income folks looking for a reasonably priced family vacation at the beach.

Are you saying we should be against more tourists or for more tourists?

I think the implication is that this already is a world class place, at least to many, and that having a sportsplex or better sports facilities, cultural arts center, outdoor amphitheater, etc. will draw people from around the world (especially with a new Intl. Airport), and the locals get the year-round benefit of all of this needed infrastructure.

Not everyone who comes here remains a tourist. The enlightened and inspired ones many times end up calling it "home". We may be on a beautiful island, but lets not burn down all the bridges to the future in the name of preserving the present.

Time waits for no one. And we, the current residents, have a very advantageous situation currently, where we can be directly involved in how this Greater South Walton Community is shaped. With the growth east and west of us, I believe it is in our best interest to provide ideas on how to responsibly evolve this community to the benefit of as many as possible, whether permanent resident or visitor. If we wait, the future may not be quite as receptive. If nothing else, I think the County and the TDC are doing a pretty darn good job of asking for our input at this time.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Isn't there a merchant fee in Rosemary, Seaside, Gulf Place and Baytowne? And I thought that they were optional.

They're "optional" in that if you want to look like a rude cheapskate you can make a fuss and get them taken off your bill.

I think a sports facility would be a great piece of infrastructure - both for locals and as something visitors can also enjoy.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
30ashopper, the TDC can't spend money on anything that isn't related to tourism. Hence building facilities to attract tourists.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
They're "optional" in that if you want to look like a rude cheapskate you can make a fuss and get them taken off your bill.

I think a sports facility would be a great piece of infrastructure - both for locals and as something visitors can also enjoy.

Just curious-Do you think people that use coupons are "rude cheapskates" as well?
If it's optional then who cares if people pay it or not.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
There are countless ways to do that that don't involve building some huge, artsy fartsy arts complex that a mjority of full time residents won't find useful.

#1 top option if all you want to do is increase tourism and tax revenue at the expense of community - legalize gambling on the bay. (Or convince Bay County to do it.) That would generate hundreds of million of tax revenue, provide tens of thousands of jobs, and would also alow us to lower property and sales taxes.

As far as merchant taxes go, taxing small businesses create more problems that they solve. If you really want to generate revenue for something you feel you would use or need, be honest about it a support an increase in the sales tax so that everyone pays their fair share.

I have no problem with a sales tax, we have gambling, EBRO and I would never go, and as for the tax on small business, I'll bet that tax is passed onto the customer, which I was showing with Baytowne because it is added to my bill when I have eaten there. My hope would be that user fees for tournaments and the like would eventually cover the cost. As for a Museum I have no knowledge as to it profitablity, but they just closed one in Panama City so profit may not be feasible.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My point is that the attitude about it makes it not so "optional."

Go ahead and ask for this "optional" item to be removed - the reaction you get is akin to if you suggest kicking a puppy.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Are you saying we should be against more tourists or for more tourists?

I think the implication is that this already is a world class place, at least to many, and that having a sportsplex or better sports facilities, cultural arts center, outdoor amphitheater, etc. will draw people from around the world (especially with a new Intl. Airport), and the locals get the year-round benefit of all of this needed infrastructure.

Not everyone who comes here remains a tourist. The enlightened and inspired ones many times end up calling it "home". We may be on a beautiful island, but lets not burn down all the bridges to the future in the name of preserving the present.

Time waits for no one. And we, the current residents, have a very advantageous situation currently, where we can be directly involved in how this Greater South Walton Community is shaped. With the growth east and west of us, I believe it is in our best interest to provide ideas on how to responsibly evolve this community to the benefit of as many as possible, whether permanent resident or visitor. If we wait, the future may not be quite as receptive. If nothing else, I think the County and the TDC are doing a pretty darn good job of asking for our input at this time.

Have you ever been to the current International airport in Panama City, do you really consider it an International Airport?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just curious-Do you think people that use coupons are "rude cheapskates" as well?
If it's optional then who cares if people pay it or not.

The optional charge is there to cover the arts and entertainment venues that those areas provide. Generally the person nit picking over what amounts to pennies is the same person that is guaranteed to be at the free event they didn't want to contribute to. Yes, they are rude cheapskates.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Isn't there a merchant fee in Rosemary, Seaside, Gulf Place and Bawtown? And I thought that they were optional.

As usual, I'm late to the party but the fees are not optional to the merchant remitting them to the HOA or whatever entity the developer wants it paid to. So, if the guest nitpicks and the merchant graciously takes it off, the merchant still has to pay.

One of these developments requires homeowners to send a copy of their state sales tax return to "prove" their amount due. Personally, I wouldn't do that, but...

And FF is correct - the resorts charging it don't seem to be driving anyone away.