• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Story on WMBB

Walton County, Fla. - In a statement that contradicts Walton County Sheriff Mike Adkinson State Attorney Bill Eddins announced Thursday that his office will prosecute people who trespass on private beaches in Walton County.

The controversial issue has been an ongoing source of confusion and anger in Walton County after the Florida Legislature changed the law regarding private beaches in the state. Under the new law, which went into effect on July 1, private property above the high water line must be treated like normal private property.

That means some beachgoers could be arrested for trespassing while walking along the beach. In a previous statement, Adkinson said that after consulting with the State Attorney's Office, the two agencies had determined that it wasn't feasible to prosecute beach going trespassers.

He added that since they weren't going to be prosecuted his deputies also would not arrest them. However, the state attorney's office position has apparently changed since the two parties last spoke on the matter.

"This office has reviewed its position released on June 28, 2018 and has determined that the provisions of Section 163.035 are mandatory and must be followed," the State Attorney's statement reads. "For that reason, any person trespassing on private property above the high water line may be subject to arrest. Each case will be reviewed on its individual facts and circumstances to determine if criminal charges are appropriate. All appropriate law enforcement agencies have been advised of this policy."

A spokesperson for the Walton County Sheriff's Office told News 13 that they were aware of the change and were reviewing the issue.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
36708761_10156467949654618_3149989621169913856_n.jpg

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
It all goes back to whose responsibility it is to prove where the MHWL is. We all know they own to the MHWL....but they will have to prove that I am actually trespassing before I move. If they (beach front owners) have enough money to get lawyers and payoff politicians then they can afford to get that TOPO survey done every year or so to prove they own what they say they own.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Some municipalities say its even less. When researching it I found that some places say 30 to 90 days. One south Florida survey site said they basically are "out of date" as soon as the surveyor stamps it because of changes that can happen on or off the actual site. So I guess they would have to go with the amount of time DEP or the county accepts them as valid. I will try to find out more and post here.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Some municipalities say its even less. When researching it I found that some places say 30 to 90 days. One south Florida survey site said they basically are "out of date" as soon as the surveyor stamps it because of changes that can happen on or off the actual site. So I guess they would have to go with the amount of time DEP or the county accepts them as valid. I will try to find out more and post here.
Thank you.

JUAN GONZALEZ

Beach Crab
Mar 18, 2018
Freeport
Thank you for clearing some confusion, just moved here earlier this year. A little disappointed after this law went into effect. Can anybody tell me what beaches in Walton county are open to the public? I'm assuming state beaches. Thanks in advance.