• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Now that it's booberry season, I will try that with the Jiffy. :wave:

Next I have to work on eating a southern meal like buttebeans and collards. I never had this. :dunno:
:yikes: you've never had fresh butterbeans???? oh, lord. okay, we'll do a big ole southern meal your next visitation. we have a lot more than grits around here. do you like fried okry?

we're on our way to toni's right now for speckled butterbeans... fresh zipper peas, etc.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
:yikes: you've never had fresh butterbeans???? oh, lord. okay, we'll do a big ole southern meal your next visitation. we have a lot more than grits around here. do you like fried okry?

we're on our way to toni's right now for speckled butterbeans... fresh zipper peas, etc.

Fried Okry, what is that? Never even heard of it sistah. :dunno:
Yes, I need a crash course in Southern cooking. :clap:

are these peas fresh because they have open zippers? :lol:

Last edited:

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
These all sound so good. Dune-AHH, I'm going try your recipe. As someone here said anything with ricotta cheese in it has got to be great! Also, the Jiffy recipe sounds good too...ummmm so many great recipes...so little time :rotfl: :D Oh, and Miss Kitty, you're invited. Just get in your car and drive due north for ummm about two days :blink: :D Johnrudy, I have made spoonbread and it's really good, especially with melted butter over the top. Mine didn't call for fresh corn, but I'm sure they're are many variations. Thanks again y'all!

Fried Okry, what is that? Never even heard of it sistah. :dunno:
Yes, I need a crash course in Southern cooking. :clap:

are these peas fresh because they have open zippers? :lol:
Don't worry about it, Mango. I had never heard of rhubarb pie or bratwurst before I met Big D.

He hates collards. They are really healthy http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=138. Sometimes when he's out of town for a few days, I'll cook a batch of collards and cornbread, and that'll be dinner be a few days. Sop up the potlikker with the cornbread ... YUM!

Nancy's Cornbread
1 cup self-rising cornmeal, preferably Dixie Lily
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces sour cream
1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Serves 6-8.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
My mom makes a version of creamed corn my great-nephew calls "Corn Pie".:lol: It is really good, sweet and fattening.

You can use frozen cream style or fresh corn. If using fresh, shuck and clean the silks off the cob. Cut the corn off the cob and scrap the cob to remove all the liquid. For about 2 cups of corn add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 a water to the corn. If the corn is very fresh, it will have plenty of liquid. Bake for about 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees until thick. Yes this is a true southern recipe....no specific directions.:bang:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Don't worry about it, Mango. I had never heard of rhubarb pie or bratwurst before I met Big D.

He hates collards. They are really healthy http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=138. Sometimes when he's out of town for a few days, I'll cook a batch of collards and cornbread, and that'll be dinner be a few days. Sop up the potlikker with the cornbread ... YUM!

Bratwurst? I thought that was more of a German dish not a Northern dish, maybe you're thinking of liverwurst? and I never had Rhubarb pie either. :funn:

From your link, this confuses and cracks me up:
"collards are one of the non-head forming members of the Brassica family along with broccoli and cauliflower."

So what's all the fuzzy stuff on top of the broccoli that looks like curly hair and they don't have heads?........Maybe I don't want to know. :lol:

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Bratwurst? I thought that was more of a German dish not a Northern dish, maybe you're thinking of liverwurst? and I never had Rhubarb pie either. :funn:

From your link, this confuses and cracks me up:
"collards are one of the non-head forming members of the Brassica family along with broccoli and cauliflower."

So what's all the fuzzy stuff on top of the broccoli that looks like curly hair and they don't have heads?........Maybe I don't want to know. :lol:

brats are a wonderful glorified hamburger that look like sausage but taste like heaven, and they love 'em in Wisconsin, and we have lots of friends from that area who have taught us how to do 'em right. this would be a great beach thing to do one day.

collards - look a lot like turnip greens or other greens. but they are the only greens that I actually like - they are more sweet and less bitter than the other greens, IMO. you eat 'em with cornbread. yummy! we eat them a lot in winter.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
my regular cornbread: 1 cup cornmeal 1cup self-rising flour, 1 egg,buttermilk then pench of sugar,little hot hot water then a must have ,,hot bacon grease fron the preheated cast iron skillet. Very basic.