1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

SWFD June Activity Report

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Teresa, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Here's a brief summary of South Walton Fire District (SWFD) response activity for the month of June 2018. In addition to this activity, the SWFD Beach Safety Division responded to 15 water rescues, 213 assists, 71 lost person calls and initiated 463,016 customer contacts on the beach.

When you head to the beach, don't forget to
    • Obey the beach flag system
    • Swim near SWFD Lifeguards
    • Stay hydrated
    • Always keep a watchful eye on your kids.

We appreciate your continued support and as always, stay safe!

FB_IMG_1531264652382.jpg

2. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Good advice.

Does anyone have the details regarding the drowning that took place at Grayton Beach on the afternoon of July 3rd? It's had to believe there's not one mention of it when Googling the internet, even here on SoWal.

3. Old Blue

Old Blue Beach Comber

A 68 year old man from Freeport who drowned saving his young nephew, after quite an effort to resuscitate him on the beach at Grayton that afternoon. He was a neighbor of my close friend which is the only way that I heard about it. Makes you wonder how many drownings actually took place during the holiday week, since, unlike previous July 4th weeks, there were NONE reported by the media. Hopefully, this is the only one. Prayers to the family of the victim, who obviously was a hero.

4. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I found it interesting that there were rip current warnings that entire day (July 3rd) along with the water being fairly rough of course. But only the yellow flags were flying.

On July 4th, I approached our local lifeguards at the beach to confirm what little I had heard. They would not say anything....not even at least confirm that a drowning took place. They were obviously reacting as they have been trained.