• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

amavida

Beach Lover
Nov 5, 2006
Seaside & Rosemary Beach
Come visit the artworkof Heather Clements, Sunday 5/25, 10:00 am at Amavida Coffee in Seaside. A native of Virginia, Clements was a lifelong art lover. "I have been creating art for as long as I can remember," said Clements.

Her love of art was nurtured by her musician father and accountant mother. Her father, who also dabbled in art, would give advice and some instruction when the young Clements was first discovering her artistic talents.

Artist4.jpg

"I first realized that I could actually make money from art in the fifth grade," said Clements. "I drew little cartoon characters or monsters on sheets of paper and kids would pay me for them." From those early moments Clements threw herself completely into art. Taking as many classes as she could and absorbing it all, she was soon experimenting with oils, charcoal, watercolors and a whole host of other mediums.

Her talent for art did not go unnoticed and she won a scholarship to attend the prestigious Maryland Institute for Fine Art in Baltimore.

It was here that she fine tuned her technique and explored more mediums. Clements drew inspiration from famous artists, such as William Kentridge and Egon Schielle. These artists continue to inspire her work.

Clements graduated with a bachelor's of fine art in painting in May 2007. Upon graduation, Clements knew she wanted a change of scenery, but where exactly, she did not know.

"A friend of mine moved to Panama City and began asking me if I would be interested in moving here," said Clements. "I began looking up information on the Internet and decided to make the move." Clements found herself in the thick of the burgeoning art community in Panama City and started making contacts throughout the area.

Highly influenced by music, people and even animation, Clements applies herself to any medium possible. She mostly works alone, but at times she will have a live model.

Artist5.jpg

As of late, her art is infused with her current theme of honesty and authenticity.

Clements says she always prided herself on her honesty, but when some friends began tabulating lists of 100 honest things about themselves, she felt inspired and added deeply frank and honest statements about herself within her work.

“Ever since then, my art has honesty and authenticity. My guts just spill out onto the canvas.”

The art, revealing and brutally honest, sometimes deals with denial and provides a healthy release for these issues.

Clements works diligently, to not only be the best and most honest and authentic artist she can be, but also to bring the best of Panama City’s art to the forefront. The last six months may have been a whirlwind, but Clements is having no problems finding her equilibrium on the Emerald Coast.

Last edited: