1. Hello everyone - with recent Forum upgrade, here are a few issues you may need help with. Thanks for your patience!

- some accounts with same email address were merged. So if you have any login issues, send us a message with your username and email address and we'll sort it out. If you send us email by Hotmail we will not be able to respond. Hotmail is blocked.
    - the Forum App is no longer needed and has been disabled. The site is now mobile-friendly. Just browse to http://SoWal.com/forum"> on your phone's browser and tap "add to home screen".
    - Click Here for help, more info, and to post questions / give feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

The New SoWal.com Site - what's coming up in 2010

Discussion in 'SoWal Site Help & Announcements' started by kurt, May 13, 2010.

1. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

We want your help designing a new site for you! Locals, visitors, second homeowners, business owners - what content and features would you like to see? Or what do you think would be helpful to others and make our site better? :D

Videos or photos of .... ?

Stories about .... ?

Maps of .... ?

A guide to .... ?

Information about .... ?

More of .... ?

Thank You for your input and support!

[Edit - 6/18/10]

You set another record in May 2010 with over 14 million page views on SoWal.com. Nearly forty percent of the time spent on the site is by folks in our major drive-in markets in southeastern states. We noticed an increase in traffic from New York City, Washington DC, Orlando and Houston - locations served by Southwest Airlines flying to the new airport.

We are excited to be in the final stages of a major redesign of SoWal.com. Our new site has been a long time coming. While we will launch with lots of new features and content, there will be much more added in coming weeks and months. If you've noticed some slack in new photos or other content being posted lately it's because we've been a little busy behind the scenes.

We thank each and every member for help and devotion in building our site, and our community. Please let us know how we can make it better. We will also be introducing new staff and moderators, whose love for our home and community is greatly appreciated and admired.

For business owners who have helped support us by advertising we want to thank you sincerely. We will be actively seeking new advertisers and have hired two new account executives who you will learn more about in a few days. If you'd like to learn more please contact us.

Coming up on SoWal.com:

Live BeachCams at your favorite beach or town square from Rosemary Beach to Miramar Beach.

Original content from professional writers, photographers, videographers - local feature articles, reviews, and news - info on local happenings, events, parks, activities, etc.

Professional photos and HD videos of businesses, parks, beaches, accesses, events, etc.

Interactive beach access map with access videos and features.

Your ratings (five star) of parks, golf courses, events, restaurants and other content.

Sortable and search-able shopping, businesses, and restaurants - by type, by cuisine, by town, by rating, etc.

Dining Guide, Shopping Guide, Wedding Guide, Golf Guide, Parks Guide, etc.

Interactive maps for content (an individual business or all, example - click-able map of all restaurants).

Tourist Information - frequently asked questions, beach safety, coastal dune lakes, beach accesses, etc.

Local guide for locals and and relocation - groups, schools, services, government, etc.

Classified ads.

Contests, specials, giveaways!

2. Em

Em Beach Fanatic

stories about locals and the history of the area
    maps of hiking/biking trails

3. John R

John R needs to get out more

Less of ...... ?

Google ads.

In the AP: Lack of regs = Really big leak thread, the google ads show drilling software, well drilling equipment, drill rig service, etc.

Not sure how much revenue google ads generate, but I bet every regular member would be willing to buy a membership to sowal to be rid of the ads.

4. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Thank you - I doubt we would sell memberships but the google ads will likely go away as we gain site sponsors.

5. kathydwells

kathydwells Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname

Beach Cams in cool places. :biggrin:;-):wave:

6. John R

I used the wrong term. Site Supporter...

And yes, cams all over the place would rock. I understand the logistical limitations.

7. KISH7374

KISH7374 Beach Fanatic

I second that request. Just can't get enough during time away from the beach.

8. Barbat

Barbat Beach Comber

Bike Touring Plans that propose start andstop times and specific restaurants to try along the way---where bathrooms are----beach access etc. Thanks!

9. Lisa Ruby

Lisa Ruby Beach Fanatic

In depth restaurant reviews with a scoring system.
    my new job:D

10. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

More of your pictures! :biggrin:

11. Em

Em Beach Fanatic

I'd like to see the photo bar return to the top of the forum page.

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

An exterminator! :biggrin:

Love the cam ideas and more pics are always a good thing. Maybe a pictorial ride down 30A! :wave:

13. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

more local news and discussion; maybe participation from more of the local officials like the Sheriff is doing.

14. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Thanks everyone - great ideas! Please keep them coming.

15. John R

Streaming of the BCC meetings.

16. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

and the School Board meetings.

17. emeraldcoastdav

emeraldcoastdav Beach Fanatic

Less anonimity.

18. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

1) I know some people would like to be able to turn off the "chat forums", while I would love to be able to turn off the "rentals" forum.

Is it possible for one to be able to check which forums they want included in "new posts" in their User CP or something?

2) I would love to have a set place where all the local businesses/attractions have posted their name, phone number, location, menus, and hours. I think it would help promote local businesses and stop rumors that a place is "closed" when they are just shut for the season or on vacation.

3) Some sort of max on photo size so that people can't post pictures that are wider than the screen/typical posts and goof up the formatting.

19. CampCreekLou

CampCreekLou Beach Lover

#1 - For the "new posts' functionality, I SECOND that! :D

20. Allifunn

Allifunn FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com

Kurt, dear one, your vision is extraordinary, I look forward to what is in store for SoWal.com. Some very good ideas on this thread, more every day :D