• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Upcoming forum this Thursday evening at 6 PM at the Freeport Auditorium.
All the Sheriff candidates have been invited to a two hour question & answer program on how they plan to address the drug problem in our schools and with our children.

Hope to see everyone there. :wave:

update!!!!!!!!!

Walton County Sheriff?s candidate forum

The Walton County Prevention Coalition and DeFuniak Herald-Beach Breeze present a candidate forum to allow candidates for the Walton County Sheriff's Office to discuss their views on preventing teens and adults from experimenting with drugs, alcohol and tobacco. The forum will be held at Freeport High School, 12615 U.S. 331 South in Freeport on Thursday. This will be a non-partisan educational forum for the community that does not promote any candidate over another.
The first half of the forum will involve discussion of substance abuse. The second half will focus on general law enforcement issues.
Invited participants include Michael A. Adkinson Jr., Richard S. Brown, Thomas M. Cooper, Tony Cornman, Dennis Wise, Jimmy L. Macon, Danny H. Griffith, and Sheriff Ralph L. Johnson.
The Walton County Prevention Coalition is a nonpartisan group that is working to prevent drug use in the community. All candidates were invited to participate in this event. They will be asked how they plan to address substance abuse issues if elected and will allow community members to ask them questions in an open forum.
A number of agencies and organizations are supporting the forum and will distribute informations to guests, including YMCA Freeport, Boys and Girl?s Club of Emerald Coast, Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT), Walton County Health Department, Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco, Department of Juvenile Justice, United States Army Cadets of Ft. Rucker, COPE Center Inc., Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), West Florida AHEC, Okaloosa and Walton Mothers Against Drunk Driving and the North American Family Institute.
The event is planned for Thursday, June 12, 2008, from 6?8 p.m. at the Freeport High School. Everyone is invited.
www.defuniakherald.com

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think this specific issue format is good and will keep the candidates and audience members on topic (hopefully). I am looking forward to hearing what the candidates say - AL, will you be covering this forum? I have a prior commit and can't attend.

Sadly, I doubt as many parents will attend that need to attend. There are A LOT of drugs here, as confirmed by students and school personnel that I have spoken with, but parents seem to be either turning a blind eye or completely oblivious. From what I am hearing, it is not as much a problem at SWHS as it is outside of school- lots of night and weekend partying.

I am learning as I go just like other parents, but here is what I have learned from friends who have traveled the high school road before me and ended up with some really awesome kids-- the parents are involved and around, kids are busy with activities and jobs and sports, and families do stuff together- also know who your kids are hanging out with, and their parents too.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
While I, too, am concerned with drug usage among teens, I am wondering if they will address any issues other than the drug problem. Since my children are long raised and parents themselves this format, if it is the only issue discussed, would not benefit my attending. If there are to be more of these "town hall" type meetings on other subjects I would definitely like to attend if possible. Any definitive answer would be appreciated.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
where is the Freeport Auditorium? Are you talking about the Freeport High School Auditorium?

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Looking forward to your coverage of this!

Thanks, Jdarg........lets kick it up a notch.

THURSDAY..............THURSDAY...........THURSDAY

ONE NIGHT ONLY...........WATCH THE SHERIFF'S CANDIDATES JUMP OVER A CAR........STAND ON ONE HAND.........AND ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS FOR YOU.............BE THERE...........BE THERE .......BE THERE...............:D

disclaimer: No candidate will actually jump over a car or stand on one hand but may answer your questions.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
This meeting is a great idea. Hope it produces some great results and information!

I am constantly amazed about how blase people are about the amount of drugs around here!