• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

vote

Beach Comber
Aug 6, 2008
The amout of tourists we are getting now lowers the quality of life for Sowal residents. The TDC needs to be defunded and given a new mission statement by our County Commissioners.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
To defund them would mean to get rid of a tax. How would you fund them with a new mission?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
To defund them would mean to get rid of a tax. How would you fund them with a new mission?
Its a valid point, but I side with poster "vote" in that something needs to be done. They literally have money to PI$$ away, and do so quite often.

vote

Beach Comber
Aug 6, 2008
Its a valid point, but I side with poster "vote" in that something needs to be done. They literally have money to PI$$ away, and do so quite often.
Defund maybe ok eliminate the bed tax on short term rentals do we really need the TDC at all more than enough people know about this place already(

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Defund maybe ok eliminate the bed tax on short term rentals do we really need the TDC at all more than enough people know about this place already(
Again, you want to change the mission and take away the funding. How do you want to pay for this new undefined mission? I am seriously not trying to be difficult but you throw something out without defining it. That is like me wanting to change the color of the sky without saying how I can do it and what it will cost. For the record I am opposed to getting rid of the TDC. I am in favor of selective marketing. I am not opposed to some changes in what TDC monies may be used for but it should be limited and not easy to change. Just my tnought.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I think the state legislature has to change what TDC funds can be used for. While the BCC may have some minimal discretion, they do not have control over what TDC funds can be used for; hence the need for attorney general opinions on some of the expenditures that are proposed to be paid from TDC funds. Somebody feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted what I've been told about this.

vote

Beach Comber
Aug 6, 2008
Again, you want to change the mission and take away the funding. How do you want to pay for this new undefined mission? I am seriously not trying to be difficult but you throw something out without defining it. That is like me wanting to change the color of the sky without saying how I can do it and what it will cost. For the record I am opposed to getting rid of the TDC. I am in favor of selective marketing. I am not opposed to some changes in what TDC monies may be used for but it should be limited and not easy to change. Just my tnought.
The entire mission would be to collect the trash thats it they already have the equipment and employees keep these people structure into working for commissioners let the rest go

vote

Beach Comber
Aug 6, 2008

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
The entire mission would be to collect the trash thats it they already have the equipment and employees keep these people structure into working for commissioners let the rest go
I'd like to see a small staff that assists bed tax collectors with their own marketing if requested. Also some easy web and social media content for all to use. Focus on ecology, ecotourism and conservation. We have festival fatigue.
Maintaining and building new beach accesses is important. Beach safety education could shift entirely to SWFD, rental companies, resorts and media like SoWal.com.