• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Recent booking displayed a service fee $139.00 add to renters cost. Hence your weekly summer rental rates are going up 6%-10% be aware! Short version for increase income for VRBO," to pay for and maintain website...." If this runs off renters this season, then who knows, VRBO will not care since we are already paying annual fees on the thousands of dollars......

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
This helps VRBO provide a safer and more secure booking experience, coupled with premium 24/7 customer support throughout your trip...this is vrbo explaination to renters. SO, I'm offering cash option...if they pay I get the FEE or if not I just discount the fee and I look good....also try Airbnb they charge a fee but listing is free

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I thought VRBO was a listing service, not a vacation rental business with customer support during your stay. Are they changing their business model?

Also, owners and vacation companies pay fees to LIST with VRBO and this is their revenue source. So, now they are also charging the renters so now they get paid for LISTING the property, and then RENTING the property. I can see them getting a fee for actual rental of the property but sounds steep to me.

RENTERS need to do their homework and go directly to a reputable and established Vacation Rental company to book - we have many great companies in South Walton, Destin, PCB and their websites are usually quite good with rental properties by area, photos and video, info, etc.. As for the owners who manage their own properties, I don't know what their best options will be. But everyone is getting screwed by this deal, especially the renter. Owners are screwed too because many people (potentia renters) will not want to pay that additional fee to VRBO..

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
There's the Rub..they don't offer anything 24/7 except someone on India answering phone. Now management companies have to pay vrbo annual fees to list and now add service fee plus their fee owners using management have NO chances renting....sadly this may take care of beach over crowding. Not Funny
#classaction to protest follow @vrbknow on Twitter.

gasparilla

Beach Comber
Sep 27, 2015
This helps VRBO provide a safer and more secure booking experience, coupled with premium 24/7 customer support throughout your trip...this is vrbo explaination to renters. SO, I'm offering cash option...if they pay I get the FEE or if not I just discount the fee and I look good....also try Airbnb they charge a fee but listing is free
Wow the VRBO service fee is soooo strange! Can owners who go through a Management Company use AirBNB ? I am not sure the business model fits because the rent is paid directly to the owner (minus AirBNB's service fée) Thanks

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I don't fully understand this. It the owner is payed directly by the renter, how does VRBO get their cut? I believe this would only work if you were using VRBO's payment system.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
They add it to the quoted price and then deduct it and the security insurance fee
Before you get the charged money....BUT, if you get guest pay by check direct to you or pay pal them vrbo is by past and never get any money...

William McCracken

Beach Comber
Feb 19, 2016
Steel1man...you are right about bypassing VRBO, BUT.....VRBO is putting owners that do not opt in to their payments platform at the bottom of search rankings. So you will be punished for not using their payment system in which they charge the guest another 5%-10%.