• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
By Deborah Wheeler | 315-4432 | @WaltonSunDeb | dwheeler@waltonsun.com

Walton county commissioners held a public hearing last week to solidify rules and regulations regarding beach vendors and activities for the coming year.

Despite some opposition, the 15-foot buffer for vendors will remain from the toe of the dune, and that is a universal rule due to Customary Use ordinance that will go into effect April 1.

The Beach Activities Ordinance now prohibits vending of tents larger than six cubic feet, and rows of chair setups must have an aisle down the middle going to the water.

Assistant County Attorney Sydney Noyes said that no food and beverage vendors are currently allowed on any Walton County beaches, but commissioners voted to allow resorts with private beaches such as Sandestin to provide food for their guests on their beach as they are in control of it.

This leaves vendors prohibited from cooking on the county's public beaches for special events.

Although District 4 Commissioner Sara Comander said the days are long gone for cooking on the beach, District 5 Commissioner Tony Anderson said he likes to celebrate his birthday each year on the beach and cooks with a gas grill.

"I hate to see that taken away," he said.

Noyes assured him that the BCC is only addressing vendors.

However, Walton County's Director of Beach Operations Brian Kellenberger stated that it is unlawful to ignite an open flame without a permit on the beach, although enforcement is at an officer's discretion.

Fees and fines for violations were raised from $500 to $750 and in the case of catered special events, the vendor would be the one fined, not the person who hired them.

For catered special events, the vendor must have a parking plan for guests.

Also new this year will be the space that must be given a marked sea turtle nest. The rule in the past was no event set ups within 50 feet of a nest.

Valerie Lofton with South Walton Turtle Watch told commissioners that South Walton's beaches is nesting habitat for four of the world's seven sea turtle species, and they are endangered.

"When they hatch, they get disoriented on a lighted beach," she said.

South Walton Turtle Watch's Matt Magera told commissioners that even 100 feet away from a nest that could hatch is not nearly enough.

"It should be 200," he said. "You are putting an endangered species at risk."

Turtle walker Tom King of Rosemary Beach agreed.

"It's a sacred thing," he said. "We have a responsibility to take care of the turtles."

Commissioners voted to increase the turtles' space to 100 feet.

www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20170218/walton-commission-tweaks-beach-ordinance-regulations

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Hmmm, Tony Anderson's comments indicate he thinks it was/is perfectly acceptable and admitted that he has violated ordinances that were/are in place that prevent open public flame by gas or charcoal grills on the beach! Really?

@earl The Board of County Commissioners are sworn to uphold the laws and ordinances of their perspective counties and the State of Fl. and have to play by the same rules as everybody else!

I know you are going to jump on this telling me I have way to much time on my hands but please for the love of everything holy let me point out to you that if these Commissioners would STOP making up the rules that they play by and enforcing rules on others that they don't agree with I would not be spending my personal time pointing out the hypocrisy of what they say and do!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
16682012_10210951183408963_6266964932155219179_n.jpg