• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The article provides an overview of what has happened and where we are now. For those interested. It doesn't tell you what you should think or not think about the issue. If anything it helps me to get a better idea of the issues on all sides. That is the intent of this thread as well. I am interested in understanding each side of this difficult issue. And what may come next... It is an issue that will effect the entire community. Not just second home property owners or visitors. Locals have an interest as well.

If you have another article that represents your views better than this one by all means post it in response. Sharing thoughtful pieces of editorial and opinion pieces is always helpful. Posting your own opinions in a thoughtful way is also important. I am interested in hearing about your views and I know many others are as well.

This article is one of several recently published in Florida. It is one piece of information.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
........In any case, customary use is going to be pursued by Walton County and they seem to have a relatively positive take on getting this done and having it stick.
I've read this at least three times and and have been trying to fill in the blanks. Can you please help me out?

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
The County Commision did not follow the law already in place. So, please don’t unjustly accuse someone, unless you have proof . Huckabee was only involved in the shot down compromises by the County Commussion, nothing else. Karl Rove’s input? Seriously? Did Elvis tell you that? Want to put a big name on this? Here it is...The Constitution!

For what it's worth, I didn't take the comment by gailforce as an attack on Teresa, but rather a comment about the insinuations in the article. There have been a LOT of articles with inaccurate information and very few that have really explained the legislation without a slant or misinformation. Maybe Gov. Huckabee or Karl Rove are that powerful to persuade the entire FL legislature to overwhelmingly support a bill, but that would surprise me. In any case, customary use is going to be pursued by Walton County and they seem to have a relatively positive take on getting this done and having it stick.
Nah, the first quoted poster above was going after Teresa demanding to know “if Elvis told YOU that?” This makes it difficult to take that particular individuals opinion seriously when they are either too incompetent to employ reading comprehension. And laughably we are expected by that same poster to credit his or her ability to interpret the legal document that is The Constitution when he or she cannot reliably interpret a clearly worded post on a forum.
But your attempt at diplomacy is appreciated, seriously.

Last edited:

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Nah, the first quoted poster above was going after Teresa demanding to know “if Elvis told YOU that?” This makes it difficult to take that particular individuals opinion seriously when they are either too incompetent to emply reading comprehension. And laughably we are expected by that same poster to credit his or her ability to interpret the legal document that is The Constitution when he or she cannot reliably interpret a clearly worded post on a forum.
But your attempt at diplomacy is appreciated, seriously.
SNAP!

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
Fact or Fiction (ie Huckabee) - please deny that you had any part in this legislation.

If you did - then you are Governor of the elite 900 Walton Gulf front owners - not of the people.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Fact or Fiction (ie Huckabee) - please deny that you had any part in this legislation.

If you did - then you are Governor of the elite 900 Walton Gulf front owners - not of the people.
I didn't. I just didn't interpret the post as you did because Teresa's post was just the words directly from an article. That said, if the comments were directed at Teresa and not just sarcasm toward the author of the article, then the sarcasm was misplaced.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I've read this at least three times and and have been trying to fill in the blanks. Can you please help me out?
I'm just basing this on what was said in the official release about the County pursuing customary use. Do I believe that they have factual evidence for the entire county shoreline? Seems doubtful, but I suppose that the outcome depends largely on how the court/judge ends up interpreting ancient, reasonable, uninterrupted, and without dispute. None of those terms are clearly defined at this point. There may end up being lawsuits over definitions. Seems like there is a better way to bringing peace to the beach than lawsuits, name calling, and all the assorted ways that people are expressing their disagreement and frustration with the "other side".

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
I do not understand your reply

Did you promote the bill that banned customary use on Walton County beaches???

Riddielee

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2018
Seagrove Beach
The old song, “Sign, Signs, every where a sign” keeps running through my head...also Joni Mitchell’s “ They Paved Paradise & put up a parking lot”
Ok I am dating myself but good grief if the beach is taken away what do we have? Thank Goodness we have the dedicated State forests and parks or iT really would be a paradise lost.....

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
The old song, “Sign, Signs, every where a sign” keeps running through my head...also Joni Mitchell’s “ They Paved Paradise & put up a parking lot”
Ok I am dating myself but good grief if the beach is taken away what do we have? Thank Goodness we have the dedicated State forests and parks or iT really would be a paradise lost.....
I'm dating myself as well. The old School House Rock - The Constitution song, keeps running through my head. Especially the 5th Amendment part.

Good grief if the rights protected by the Constitution are taken away what do we have? It really would be Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness lost. What's custom will be declared or litigated next?

Last edited by a moderator: