• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Bob Wells, can you please give me a reason why you vote "nope" to the fishing pier. I just want to understand the issue from a locals perspective. You may have insight that I don't have to the reasoning for no pier but I have yet to see any truth or logic. The eyesore reasoning is not logical or truthful as there are so many great piers all over this great country that seem to exist with the locals just fine. Then there is a Nascar argument, drive over a 100 miles to a pier in another county argument, the attraction of sharks argument and finally the nope don't want it argument. Really is that all you got to argue against the fishing pier?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Terrible, worthless survey. Not worth the time. Hope Commissioners do not base decisions on that survey. Yes, I could design a better survey; but will not.
Only way a pier should be considered is if it can pay for its self without a cent, or half-cent, of any (especially property or TDC) tax money. There should be a business plan for any tax payer investment. Not with pie-in-the-sky TDC revenue statistics. If any Commissioner votes for a pier without a real business plan with real values, and the pier losses money, those Commissioners should cover the losses out their personal money - not tax payers.

Walton needs to bring more people to the beach? Guess Walton could claim customary use on some beachfront or bayfront private property to it build on? Let people fish from 331 bridge. Not any more risky than parking on Scenic Hwy or 30A to access private property.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Okay the eyesore argument is ludicrous when you compare a fishing pier to a structure that blocks our views completely like a condo. You are kidding about the Nascar speedway analogy and the distance between Defuniak and Topsail compared to the distance between Defuniak and Pier Park right? I use google maps by the way. Lets try to be more civil when debating an issue. If you don't want a fishing pier just take the survey and vote no. If you want to debate the issue then give me a better argument against a fishing pier or just be honest about why you prefer not to mix with the type of people who like to fish...from a pier...in the ocean...away from the beach...not bothering anyone...not blocking your views...and not polluting the water...
I knew I was going to have to explain the Nascar analogy to you. The problem is people from your neighborhood and community trying to impose your concept of how it ought to be in my neighborhood and community. That was the Nascar analogy. You were right about the 18 more miles you might have to drive four or five times a year. Can't I be the judge of what I consider an eyesore or is this also your domain?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob Wells, can you please give me a reason why you vote "nope" to the fishing pier. I just want to understand the issue from a locals perspective. You may have insight that I don't have to the reasoning for no pier but I have yet to see any truth or logic. The eyesore reasoning is not logical or truthful as there are so many great piers all over this great country that seem to exist with the locals just fine. Then there is a Nascar argument, drive over a 100 miles to a pier in another county argument, the attraction of sharks argument and finally the nope don't want it argument. Really is that all you got to argue against the fishing pier?
Personally, there are so many other things Walton County needs and a fishing pier doesn't rank in the top 1000. Just my opinion.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
LVT, the Nascar is just not a worthy argument. That said I give you the argument about what you consider an eyesore in your community (your domain). My question to you is why is a fishing pier an eyesore and every building along the beach not? I am really trying to understand the local opposition. Is there a social reason or an economic reason why you don't want a fishing pier?

FBB, I'm pretty sure the commissioners don't want a fishing pier. I think the survey was a request by a tax payer. It seems your argument is a valid economic argument. Who would pay for a fishing pier in Walton County. Why not BP and those Triumph funds? I follow all the applications and it is quite amazing what all is being considered. My grandmother taught me that if there is a "will" there is a "way". If the fishing pier brings in people who buy stuff you know like tourist would you consider it or do you want the County or State to collect fees for the use of it like a toll for using a road or a bridge.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Bob Wells I agree with you about there is a lot of infrastructure that needs upgrading first. But why do you think we keep building houses, entire subdivisions, multi-story homes on the beach, commercial buildings before we build the infrastructure for these things? You speak with common sense but the reality is that it does not work that way. If it did I would vote for the infrastructure (roads, sewage, beach access and storm water run off) before a fishing pier. It just seems in your part of the county there is an economic driving force that trumps the infrastructure. Those people who would benefit from a fishing pier are not causing these problems with lack of infrastructure and unbalanced growth. They simply want an opportunity to fish in offshore gulf waters. Why can't we find a way to give them this opportunity?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
LVT, the Nascar is just not a worthy argument. That said I give you the argument about what you consider an eyesore in your community (your domain). My question to you is why is a fishing pier an eyesore and every building along the beach not? I am really trying to understand the local opposition. Is there a social reason or an economic reason why you don't want a fishing pier?

FBB, I'm pretty sure the commissioners don't want a fishing pier. I think the survey was a request by a tax payer. It seems your argument is a valid economic argument. Who would pay for a fishing pier in Walton County. Why not BP and those Triumph funds? I follow all the applications and it is quite amazing what all is being considered. My grandmother taught me that if there is a "will" there is a "way". If the fishing pier brings in people who buy stuff you know like tourist would you consider it or do you want the County or State to collect fees for the use of it like a toll for using a road or a bridge.
Wow, so you are going to act stupid about the NASCAR Analogy: Why is your opinion of what you think should be built in our community be relevant? Should I be able to get that NASCAR speedway I want built put in your backyard? It’s neither financial nor social ( do you think I don’t have friends who are rednecks and fishermen?) it’s because we have a very uncluttered Beach which is being developed at a ruthless rate. Can we, at least, look southward and not see a big chunk of concrete ruining the last little piece of our serenity.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I am not in favor of a gulf fishing pier for a number of reasons. I prefer the natural beauty of the gulf coast as it is without any man made intrusions. Same thing with our state parks and forests. We can enjoy them as-is. I am an outdoorsman, and love to fish and hunt. I pick up trash off of my local beach access almost every day. Lets do something to help protect and enhance the natural environment we all enjoy instead of doing yet another thing to exploit it. Lets pick up trash, improve gulf water quality, enhance our fisheries and forests instead of building a pier.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob Wells I agree with you about there is a lot of infrastructure that needs upgrading first. But why do you think we keep building houses, entire subdivisions, multi-story homes on the beach, commercial buildings before we build the infrastructure for these things? You speak with common sense but the reality is that it does not work that way. If it did I would vote for the infrastructure (roads, sewage, beach access and storm water run off) before a fishing pier. It just seems in your part of the county there is an economic driving force that trumps the infrastructure. Those people who would benefit from a fishing pier are not causing these problems with lack of infrastructure and unbalanced growth. They simply want an opportunity to fish in offshore gulf waters. Why can't we find a way to give them this opportunity?
It is still important to look at other things first. This one still does not make it to the top.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Well I pay taxes in this county does that give me a right to an opinion? Do you really want a NASCAR speedway in my community? Why did you use NASCAR for your analogy? Do you have a prejudice against people who like NASCAR. It seems you and I always take the low road. Lets start over. If you have redneck fishermen friends why not ask them what they think and let me know. Have you been to the Pier at Pier Park? If not, please go and let me know your experience. I do believe in community rights so I agree with you that your opinions are more valid than mine for your community. I just don't see how a fishing pier will ruin your community any more than those concrete structures that are still being built in your community that completely blocks the view of our beautiful Gulf. For example when I have friends over (some of them just might be considered a redneck) I take them over to scenic hwy 98 where there are no buildings blocking the views and I always take them to the Pier at Pier park to see what people are catching. We don't fish at the pier but we enjoy watching those that do. They seem to smile a lot when they catch a fish. It is clean fun. It would just be nice if you and others would reconsider but you are right about the fact that it should be your call before mine...