• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Suzanne Harris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 19, 2008
NW Fl Daily News has the story on the asphalt and Brian Walters...

The jest of it is..."In early November, a county employee filed a report against 37-year-old Brian James Walters, according to a press release from the Walton County Sheriff’s Office. The report said Walters told co-workers he had stolen asphalt to use on the driveway at his home.

Documents showed that on two occasions Walters allegedly submitted an official activity log for a Federal Emergency Management Agency rain event. The logs stated three loads of milled asphalt had been picked up from Anderson Columbia and delivered to the Walton County yard on McKinnon Bridge Road, the Sheriff’s Office said.

The county used money from a FEMA grant to pay for those loads, according to the Sheriff’s Office. The price the county paid for each load was $150, the release said.

After Walters realized he was being investigated, he asked an Anderson Columbia employee by text message to create a receipt for two loads of asphalt to show investigators he had purchased them, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

“Walters used his position as a government employee with Walton County Public Works to steal materials meant for county use and, instead, used them for his own gain,” Sheriff Michael Adkinson said.

Walters was arrested and charged with official misconduct and petit theft for knowingly falsifying an activity log, which is an official record."

www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20171117/walton-county-workers-charged-with-stealing-asphalt
You just can not make this s**t up

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
and so it begins... Clean up this mess of a County.

WALTON COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR ARRESTED FOR INSURANCE FRAUD
Posted on November 17, 2017 by cdobridnia
Walton County, Fla—The Human Resources Director for Walton County is arrested for insurance fraud following an investigation by Walton County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Department of Financial Services Bureau of Insurance Fraud.

On October 17th WCSO was notified of potential insurance fraud involving an employee within the Walton County Human Resources department. An investigation was launched and discrepancies were found in the insurance file of Human Resources Director, Ella Mae Walters, 48.

Documents collected during the investigation indicated Walters’ insurance coverage for United Concordia Dental listed a dependent, Christopher C. Byrd. Based on the date of birth of Byrd and additional documents provided, Byrd did not qualify as a dependent for Walters.

With the assistance of the Florida Department of Financial Services Bureau of Insurance Fraud a review of Walters’ United Concordia policy, and claims filed under that policy, was completed. A total of three claims were filed pertaining to treatment for Byrd .

During the investigation, it was learned Byrd was employed by Walton County Board of County Commissioners as a courier from December 2014 to October 2015. However, during his tenure with Walton County he never elected, added, or chose to enroll in dental insurance of any kind.

“As the Human Resources Director for our county Ella Mae Walters has extensive knowledge of employment benefits and has direct ability to approve and oversee all changes to insurance,” said Sheriff Michael Adkinson. “In saying that, Mrs. Walters knowingly and intentionally obtained a benefit for Christopher Byrd by falsifying an official record or official document. In discussions with County Administration, it was clear that they shared our concerns and cooperated fully with the investigation.”

According to the Walton County Administrator Larry Jones, Walters will be placed on administrative leave until an internal review can be completed. “Once we became aware of these allegations, it was imperative that the Sheriff’s office be allowed to conduct their investigation with no influence or interference from County staff. Now that the charges have been filed, we will place Walters on administrative leave and perform an internal review to determine the most appropriate course of action,” Jones said.

Ella Mae Walters turned herself in in Okaloosa County this morning and is charged with official misconduct, false and fraudulent insurance claims, and falsifying records. This investigation is ongoing and additional charges may be forthcoming.

The irony of all this is...Cecilia Jones received insurance benefits her husband was not entitled too that amounted to a whole lot more than Ella Mae Walters is charged with and the County did NOTHING to recoup the losses on that fiasco and she managed to get herself re-elected.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The irony of all this is...Cecilia Jones received insurance benefits her husband was not entitled too that amounted to a whole lot more than Ella Mae Walters is charged with and the County did NOTHING to recoup the losses on that fiasco and she managed to get herself re-elected.
Exactly.
That was several years back. If I were Ella Mae, I'd make sure my attorney raise that issue.

Again, Selective Enforcement. It's synonymous with Mike Adkinson.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Exactly.
That was several years back. If I were Ella Mae, I'd make sure my attorney raise that issue.

Mike Adkinson had nothing to do with the fiasco with C. Jones. That entire deal can be laid squarely at the feet of Bill Imfield who allowed her to take those benefits saying he felt they were owed to her. If you have a County Finance Director or Commissioner (not sure which he was at the time) saying no harm, no foul and no crime had been committed I don't know what you expect Mike Adkinson to do. The County was not willing to file charges and without them, there was no crime. It doesn't mean Jones was entitled, it simply means she got away with her BS.

MorningGlory

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2016
sowal
Mike Adkinson had nothing to do with the fiasco with C. Jones. That entire deal can be laid squarely at the feet of Bill Imfield who allowed her to take those benefits saying he felt they were owed to her. If you have a County Finance Director or Commissioner (not sure which he was at the time) saying no harm, no foul and no crime had been committed I don't know what you expect Mike Adkinson to do. The County was not willing to file charges and without them, there was no crime. It doesn't mean Jones was entitled, it simply means she got away with her BS.
That makes sense about the Sheriff, but this BS is so intertwined it's hard to say who's who and what's what ! That how they like it!

MorningGlory

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2016
sowal
It really makes me wonder if Commish Jones was tried of making front page news and decided to share the spotlight??? Just a thought to ponder.

What Now

Beach Comber
Nov 17, 2017
Crestview
Exactly.

It will not make any difference what someone else. Did. It only matters what she did. Two wrongs do not make a right. Stealing is stealing.

MorningGlory

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2016
sowal
It will not make any difference what someone else. Did. It only matters what she did. Two wrongs do not make a right. Stealing is stealing.
Agreed! Big thief, little thief, ALL THIEVES! All is wrong! What's not right is little thief paying the consequences for their poor choices and BIG thief not!!!
Little thief was read her rights, BIG thief was REREAD the rules for probably the 546th time while being in office!!! What a fine, upstanding example of quality leadership we have here in WC. That'll make you proud to call it home! By the way, do you still live in Crestview?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida

A thief by any other name is still a thief. Some folks get away with their thievery while others dance to jail house tunes. That, I do have a problem with!

Suzanne Harris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 19, 2008
I understand that Larry Jones wanted to handle this in house but was afraid I already knew about it and would let it out. Seems they realize there are now more leaks than they can plug in the dike. The answer is yes I did know.

My source told me Jody who also works in HR got blamed for this at first because the addition on the dependent was done on Jody’s computer. She could prove that she was not there when her computer was logged in and it was found Ella May logged into Jody’s computer and added her friend as a dependent. If this is true and Ella May did this and also tried to put the blame on someone else in the office is just shame. If Larry and Sidney truly went to a commissioner and discussed not calling in the sheriff that is a thousand times worse than what Ella May did. The commissioner said no as they were afraid I already knew and would blow the whistle.

You can not make this crazy sh**t up. When they have the chance to do right or wrong they pick wrong every time. YOU JUST CAN NOT MAKE THIS UP.

STAND UP FOR OUR GOOD EMPLOYEES.