• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Re: What are those posts in the water?

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think that someone is trying to SoWal (post) in the water. It's freaking me out. I really need my nap.

Truffle Anne

Beach Fanatic
Jan 29, 2008
Dune Allen

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think that someone is trying to SoWal (post) in the water. It's freaking me out. I really need my nap.
Hey, NoHall, don't blllrrruurrrble blbbbblllrrruuurrrb (splash). Blurrrrrpppple bllluuup bllurrble! :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

I've heard many stories similar to the ones posted, even the one about someone taking the caps off of them and being arrested (but that they were copper, not aluminum).

We've never gotten very close to them, but friends said they were going to try fishing there and there is no sign of any life around them, not even oysters growing on them. :shock: I bet they used some heavy duty chemicals to treat the wood back then.

According to this report I wouldn't worry about those having anything in them, the sampled area right near there is actually one of the cleanest spots in the bay. As of 2002 that is.

rheffron

Beach Fanatic
Jan 17, 2008

According to this report I wouldn't worry about those having anything in them, the sampled area right near there is actually one of the cleanest spots in the bay. As of 2002 that is.

Thank God someone has time to look these things up!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org

I can tell you that there are far, far fewer military manuevers over the east end of the bay than there were when I was growing up. Before I was born, there was an incident with flare bombs accidentally being dropped in our yard instead of in the bay...

Scary. :shock: The sounds during the day freak me out enough...

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB

I would believe they were part of military training. My mom was raised at White Point military housing during the 50's. The military housing was actually where the camping and rv area is at the north end of the midbay bridge. She used to tell me stories of large floating A frame targets and other docks that were used for bombing practice. Seems logical that they may have a large dock or fixed structure at the east end of the bay. The bombs were inert so there wouldn't have been any real distruction. Well, except for that farm they blew up near Defuniak...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

Inert or not, let one land on you or your house and it's a big deal. :eek:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

I can tell you that there are far, far fewer military manuevers over the east end of the bay than there were when I was growing up. Before I was born, there was an incident with flare bombs accidentally being dropped in our yard instead of in the bay...

Oh I can vouch for the past 20 years or so. They used to fly little training jets at treetop level when I first moved out here. So low that the pilots would actually wave at us when they went over. Then there was that blue/orange drone thing I saw one day that seemed to be just a little too low to be able to make it out to the gulf. But the kicker was when the Stealth bomber flew over my house so low that I could count rivets. I didnt hear anything ...just saw an odd triangular shadow come over the yard and when I looked up it was right over my head. But once it had passed ...then I heard it.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Oh I can vouch for the past 20 years or so. They used to fly little training jets at treetop level when I first moved out here. So low that the pilots would actually wave at us when they went over. Then there was that blue/orange drone thing I saw one day that seemed to be just a little too low to be able to make it out to the gulf. But the kicker was when the Stealth bomber flew over my house so low that I could count rivets. I didnt hear anything ...just saw an odd triangular shadow come over the yard and when I looked up it was right over my head. But once it had passed ...then I heard it.

You are correct - I didn't see it, but after it had been declassified and unveiled, my NSA-involved brother verified that the Stealth was developed and tested at Eglin. He still just smiles when he hears stories about UFOs along the Emerald Coast. :cool:

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
aomeone may have already posted this info., so apolgize if I am repeating soemone. I have been coming to Grayton for many years. The pilings you see in the bay are the remains of a cross bay railroad that was used to move timber harvested by the family that built their home at what is now Eden state park. Evedently that whole portion of the panhandle was lush with cedars and fortunes were made felling the trees and shipping them north for pensils. I love the are and the history. It is amazing that the pilings remain but I know that water can act as a preservative . I have several books on the area and am a history obcessive...Any more .....