• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
^^^^^ I agree with this ^^^^^^ The TDC has done their job. They have throngs of people coming to SoWal now. I think TDC now needs to be more selective as to where they advertise. If they don`t change something soon, nobody will want to come here. Begin with leaving Atlanta OFF THE LIST.
Actually - most of the business people around here have said the TDC should have stopped advertising a few years ago. That bed tax money should be spent on maintaining the quality of the visitor and the visit. [Of course you won't hear that from builders and new rental owners.]

But around here we know that SoWal.com and Seasidefl.com, sandestin.com, etc is more than enough advertising.

Concerned Parent

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2017
KY
James, as a vacation renter, I think the rental companies do have both a responsibility and the opportunity to be part of the solution here. When I rent from a company, I trust that the rental company is working to protect the interests of both myself and the property owner. If I rented a property and something was physically different than advertised or defective with the property I rented, I think you would agree that it would be reasonable on my part to expect the rental company to take action to correct that as the property would not be as advertised. Similarly, when the rental companies advertise Watercolor as a tranquil, family friendly destination and it ultimately turns out to be a profane wilding of entitled children run amok, the rental companies have an obligation to make good on the original promise. As a renter, I'm disappointed in 360 Blue, the Watercolor Homeowners Association and St. Joe Properties because they assumed no responsibility whatsoever for the situation. I would hope that the property owner would be similarly disappointed in them. I own commercial and rental properties myself and I can tell you that I would not stand for someone representing me in this manner.

As far as the Sheriff is concerned, it's a well understood concept that if you knowingly cause a situation (such as a festival or other large event) that will necessitate police agencies to massively staff up temporarily in order to maintain order, you will be responsible for the additional costs. In this case, apparently Seaside pays for the additional presence and Watercolor does not. That responsibility falls squarely on Watercolor and the rental companies in my opinion. You cannot rent to massive numbers of people who have a history (after our trouble we were told everyone in the area dreads Atlanta spring break every year) of causing trouble and then simply throw your hands up when the inevitable chaos ensues. That is a simple case of someone selfishly refusing to rock the boat as long as they keep getting paid. I'd bet the full-time residents of Watercolor would be willing to have all rental unit owners pay additional fees for Sheriff support in exchange for the right to rent their units out. That would protect their properties and make the people who are profiting off of this situation bear the burden of the expenses that result from their rental activity.

I'm really surprised there isn't more backlash from the homeowners (both full-time residents and owners of rental units) in the area. I can only imagine the damage this group inflicts on the homes they rent if their behavior in the streets is any indication and I would be livid if I was a full-time resident there and had to put up with this mess every year with no movement toward a solution.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
The full time residents have had enough of transient vacationers who simply don't care about the quality of life at the beach. I'd like to say we will miss you, Concerned Parent, but that would not be truthful. People simply need to find a new beach.

Concerned Parent

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2017
KY
I can't blame you one bit for feeling that way seabythegrove. When my family and I go somewhere, we treat the property and the people just like we would want to be treated if someone came to our home. Sadly, that simply isn't the norm any longer.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
You are talking about 2 different things - rental companies and owners can request more order and enforcement now. But once the action started last week there's not much they can do except call the law and try to prevent future messes.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
^^^^^ I agree with this ^^^^^^ The TDC has done their job. They have throngs of people coming to SoWal now. I think TDC now needs to be more selective as to where they advertise. If they don`t change something soon, nobody will want to come here. Begin with leaving Atlanta OFF THE LIST.
Than you will be thrilled to know the BCC passed more advertising for TDC last night, this time with some controversy due to cell phone tracking.

They also voted to table for further discussion thousands for wrapping someone's shuttles...

While we need a shuttle, it's true. We don't need to spend money to advertise to the tourons already here. We also don't need to find someones start up business.

If I came to you and said; please buy advertising on my restaurant menus, but then told you that my restaurant was only a concept would you bite? Well, I mean I do have a spot in mind, I'll sign the lease, but I really need your check for advertising first....

Concerned Parent

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2017
KY
James, you are correct that there are two different parts to the solution. One is the preventative part - add forfeiture language to all rental contracts, make renters aware of zero tolerance policy, force registration of all minors here in rental homes, charge fees to property owners who rent and/or rental agencies and use those to fund extra law enforcement presence during spring breaks to keep things from getting out of hand. The second part is the immediate response part that rental companies and owners take when things get out of hand. That would include things like broadcast communication (email, text, etc) with all renters currently in the area telling them that things are getting out of hand and that the sheriff has been asked to control things and that they are expected to maintain control of all minors under their supervision. I would also remind them of the zero tolerance policy. Nobody I contacted (apart from the Sheriff) during our stay would even accept a modicum of responsibility and they certainly did not take any action to try and help the situation. That tactic has a very predictable outcome. Do nothing and nothing will change.

And, please understand that I'm not trying to get on here and be critical of the local residents, rental companies, etc. I have truly loved coming to your area over the years. It is beautiful, normally tranquil and safe, very much a departure from the scenery near my home in Kentucky and really an absolute treasure. My family loves it, I love it and everyone that I've introduced it to loves it.

As I've been writing this, I've started to feel like maybe I'm overstepping my bounds. I guess my nature as an entrepreneur is to problem solve and I'm sure this can come off as preachy and judgmental. I'm very sorry if that's the case here as that is not my intention at all. I also realize that I'm not saying anything you guys haven't already said or thought of - this is just at the top of my mind right now because of my recent trip.

I wish you and everyone in your area the best of luck as you deal with these issues. I'm sure you'll find fantastic solutions and your wonderful community will continue to be the treasure that it always has been. Thanks for letting me and my family have the opportunity to experience it over the years!

Amy S.

Beach Comber
Apr 13, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I hate to jump in here, but I'm shocked at this behavior. You typically think of SoWal as a laid back sleepy sea side town. (Or series of communities). I've lived in the Panhandle for some years now and I can say I've never seen such insanity as PCB Spring Break. If SoWal is becoming like that it's a sad day indeed. SoWal is supposed to be the land of the wealthy, and the playground of the rich. It NOT for snot nosed young entitled brats to crap on. But hey, they have money and so what does it matter right? WRONG. The short term money they bring in will do nothing to undue the damage done to SoWal's reputation. If someone doesn't put the brakes on it soon, it will be too late. SoWal needs to do a few things to stop this, or attempt to curtail it. The TDC needs to stop and halt all advertising in areas where they know there are people who are in gangs or that gangs are located. That's all of Atlanta.. then oh well. Be MUCH MORE SELECTIVE in where you advertise. Such as advertising to wealthier communities and niche areas where this kind of activity will be less of an issue. If you want a higher class of tourist, who thus pays more money, you have to boot out the trash and quit telling the trash it's ok to come down here. SoWal home and business owners need to ban together and show outrage. Picket in the streets if you must. Hire your own personal police force. Actively run campaigns to deter the vermin. SoWal from here looks like a sinking pirate ship with the rats running TO it. The problem is many fold but you have to start by kicking out the trash you have now and making darn sure they don't come back. I have said for years the only way 30A/SoWal can remain exclusive is to gate off 30A itself and only allow certain people on the road itself to come in. Sadly it's looking like its too late over here. I doubt highly the wealthy will come back and make this their playground once they hear reports like this. Did anyone think to solicit help from Huckabee? If he's still around he might be the only one who can help...

Concerned Parent

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2017
KY
Amy, the kids I saw weren't gang members. They were entitled brats whose parents took them to the beach and left them unsupervised to do as they pleased. The kids then apparently used social media to find out where everyone else was so they could get together in their mobs. This is definitely part of a larger parenting problem going on in the US, but you guys should not be expected to have to deal with parenting issues.

When I take my kids on vacation, my kids are on vacation and I am still a parent. I saw a lot of parents that had totally checked out of parenting and that's just not the way it's supposed to work. One lazy couple at the Watercolor Beachclub pool was standing by the pool with drinks in their hands pointing at their obviously distressed and near drowning young daughter and telling her to just calm down because she was ok. Meanwhile, she was in water over her head, bobbing up and down, choking and gasping with panic on her face and they couldn't be bothered to set their drinks down and help her. Another young man reached her before I did and the parents were entirely unaffected by the whole incident. The whole thing just makes me sad.

Suzanne

Beach Lover
Dec 28, 2006
Seagrove
I rarely chime in but like everyone who has posted comments I think the common denominator here are the HS kids and most specifically Georgia. I have lived in Seagrove for 11 years and have witnessed 11 spring breaks. here are my 11 years worth (2 cents). In the past several years the WCSO and the police in general have done an excellent job or as best as I could expect. the Police force are present and in my opinion react quickly and enforce Zero tolerance. I can't comment on the Seaside vs Watercolor police presence only from what I see and yes clearly Seaside does an excellent job of trying to keep the mayhem down by a bigger police presence. For the most part I find little to no major issues with the college students, I am sure there are some issues but compared to the HS kids minimal. People have a right to rent their properties, and people have a right to rent a property, we may not like it but name a community that bans rentals? it is reality so we need to try and deal with it like it or not and focus on the "prime" weeks we experience this mayhem. in mid summer every school district has their entire years schedule published so we have plenty of "warning". I think it is unanimous that Georgia HS spring break is hands down the WORST! so rental property owners have the ability to block off a week or 2 and may I suggest these couple of weeks be taken under consideration. I know lost revenue but perhaps adding a couple hundred dollars a week in the prime season covers any potential loss of these spring break weeks? Not only for the rental property owners but also the rental companies who would share in that loss of revenue. I can't help but think the sheer mental relief on both parties is worth it. Don't change the law or create more layers of rules and regulations simply use supply and demand. Fewer properties available equals fewer people those couple weeks. I also have to think properties take the biggest abuse during this period. Another observation, have you ever noticed during the summer months when families and HS kids are here these "issues" are not even close to being as bad? Well Spring break is 1 week and EVERYONE comes the same time! Have you every counted the number of stolen bikes ditched in the spring vs summer? We are in an affluent area, one would think people who can afford these rental rates would not act this way? Well think of the spring break week and what happens, one maybe 2 adults rent a house with a dozen kids, all those kids are not children of the 2 adults so their parents who do not come down subsidize the 1 or 2 unfortunate adults who are chaperoning. Now it becomes MORE affordable for more people. Split the pie more ways.
In the summer one or maybe 2 families split the rental fee and it is THEIR children and it is the parents vacation on their designated vacation week, not the same week as the entire Georgia High Schools.
Every Spring at the same time all of our friends say the same thing over and over, The Georgia HS spring break is the WORST, no debating it. Are we profiling,,, YEP! Do I care NOPE! If they cannot come to our beautiful place we call home they will find somewhere else I guarantee you that. It is unfortunate for those parents and kids who are respectful that they become lumped in with those who choose to act like animals.
So to recap let's focus on basically 2 weeks of the spring break which festers most of the issues, if we solve these 2 weeks then my guess is future threads like this will be minimized.
thanks for letting me rant!