1. Trouble logging in? Send a message with your username & email address for help.
    Dismiss Notice

What is SoWal's knowledge of great theaters in America?

Discussion in 'Events and Activities' started by NoHall, Jul 31, 2008.

1. NoHall

NoHall hmmmm......can't remember

I put this on the Entertainment thread so I can thank y'all properly as we go...

Last night I went to see a show at Atlanta's Fabulous Fox Theater. It's worth the price of admission just to sit in that beautiful space--absolutely gorgeous.

My young friend who went with me asked me if there were other spaces in the U.S. like the Fox. She and I went to NYC in the fall, and she said that the two theaters we saw were nice, but not as lavish as the Fox. I honestly couldn't tell her for sure. I told her that I supposed that there were, but couldn't think of any off the top of my head. I know that there are some beautiful old opera houses around the country.

So--do other big cities have elaborate old palaces like our Fox? (Here's a link to some of its particulars. Interesting that it would cost upwards of $300 million...)

2. John R

John R needs to get out more

3. Ocean Lover

Ocean Lover bean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have two! The first pic is the Palace Theater. Sam always had her big dance recitals here every year. The last one is The Ohio Theatre...more elegant and mesmerizing. We will be there Aug 31 to see The Lion King!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. Will B

Will B Moderator

The Tivoli in Chattanooga. A lot smaller than The Fox but the same ambience...

5. TooFarTampa

TooFarTampa SoWal Insider

Native of Tampa now in Boston 'burbs. Left my hear
    It's haunted, it's over-the-top, it's stunning, it's the Tampa Theatre! It belongs near the top of any list of the country's great theaters. Fortunately, it is also government subsidized, or it would have been torn down long ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More information at:

http://www.tampatheatre.org/history.php

6. seahag

seahag Beach Comber

The Fox Theater in St. Louis is one of those grand old theaters, and looks surprisingly similar to the one in Atlanta, from the pictures on your link...even the sign! i wonder if they were built by the same people...

7. Gypsea

Gypsea Beach Fanatic

8. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Thanks NoHall for starting this thread, we love our theater and I would love to visit some of these others. They are all fantastic.

We have a wonderful one, the Orpheum on Beale Street, orginially built in 1890. When it was converted to the Malco theater, Elvis was an usher there.

Here is more info and photos, and we too have a ghost.

http://www.orpheum-memphis.com/index.cfm?section=theatreinfo

The Orpheum Theater: Where Broadway Meets Beale: "Wicked" comes this Fall, I can't wait.

[​IMG]

9. TooFarTampa

John Eberson, one of the great theater architects, designed many across the country in conjunction with Paramount and others. (Including the Tampa Theatre and -- hi OL :wave: -- the Palace.)

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Eberson[/ame]

10. NoHall

Links and everything...thanks!

That ceiling...wow...

All good theaters are haunted, I think. If I ever decide to haunt a place, y'all have given me a good list of places. (But I plan to spend my afterlife in a place with no election years.)

The Fox was almost razed when I was little. Atlanta Landmarks was created for the sole purpose of saving it. I remember my parents and even my brother saying they had been to events at the Fox before the mid '80s and that it was a rat-hole--my brother said the walls were so covered in dirt and soot (from the heating system and, supposedly, all the years of smokers) that the original colors were barely visible...

I saw that St. Louis had a Fox, and wondered the same thing, but haven't gotten around to investigating...

Y'all have all made my day. I figured the Fox wasn't alone in its beauty, but I wasn't sure.

When you look at old theaters and churches, why do you think we have fallen away from the splendor? Money? Laziness? Are we just tacky now?

11. TooFarTampa

Many of these theaters appeared to have been built in the roaring '20s, that most tacky and splendiferous and spectacular spending era. So I think what we see as stunning now was way over the top and ego-driven back then.

On a smaller scale, it kinda reminds me of the stainless steel and granite countertops of the housing boom. Soon to be 'tacky,' probably, but maybe eventually they will be 'historic!'

12. NoHall

I just looked it up...William Fox had a BUNCH of them! The ones in Atlanta, St. Louis, and San Francisco opened the same year. (1929) I can't find it in black and white, but I'm led to believe that it's the same Fox family as 20th Century Fox...they were opened as movie palaces.

Here are the others, from our friend Wikipedia:
    List of Fox Theatres

See the following articles for information about specific theatres.

13. John R

John R needs to get out more

14. meigsart

meigsart Beach Lover

I believe I saw "Hair" at the Palace in Columbus in 1973ish. It was such the scandal at the time.

15. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Thanks JohnR, I did not realize that there were others. This is has been a very interesting thread.

I would love to visit some of the other theaters.

Good question NoHall, I don't know it's everything has changed and not for the better. People used to be quiet in movie theaters, now we have to have several messages before the movie begins to remind everyone to behave.

And don't even get be started on how people behave on airplanes. Am I dating myself when I say, I remember getting dressed up to fly.

I do know that one bank here in Memphis chose the grandeur when they build it. My niece is having her wedding reception there in a week. It is a beautiful building.

16. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Louisville Palace - look at the virtual tours on the website. It is just as fun to poke around the place as it is to see a show!

http://www.louisvillepalace.com/

17. NoHall

We had to wander all over the place at the Fox last night, too...

I noticed that the Louisville Palace was one of Eberson's creations, too. Beautiful...

18. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Wow, these theatres are beautiful. TFT, I am going to have to make a road trip to Tampa- ladies night out.:DThat theatre is pretty cool and definitely over the top.

One of my favorite theatres is The New Amsterdam Theatre in New York. I've been to see Beauty and the Beast several times just to see this theatre. It is quite ornate and this picture doesn't do justice to the detail. The Beast is ok too. :blush: I read that it was renovated by Disney.

The ceiling is more beautiful live.
    The New Amsterdam is among Broadway's oldest surviving legitimate theaters. Commissioned in 1902 by theater moguls Marc Klaw and Abraham Erlanger and designed by architects Henry B. Herts and Hugh Tallant, this landmark space boasts a beaux-arts entrance and a magnificent art nouveau interior of painted plaster, carved stone, fine wood, murals and tiles.

[​IMG]

19. NoHall

I would love to see some Disney there!

Beautiful!!! :clap::clap::clap:

In my next life, I want to be an architect.

20. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

This is one of those theatres where sitting further back and higher up is not a bad thing. if you are blind, like me, you can see the ceiling better and take in the whole place from up there. Plus, the salt and pepper shaker actors won't be insulted when they see you go into a hysterical fit of laughter. :lol: Sorry, DKA.