• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

smcdon2

Beach Comber
Jan 18, 2007
Cincinnati, OH.
Hello folks,
When I've been down to SoWal, we've rented in Santa Rosa, between Gulf Place and Blue Mountain beach (Old Florida Beach). I normally come down with the wife and daughters. This year, we're bringing two other families with us and I'm looking to get something bigger. It seems like you get a lot more for your money in the Seagrove beach area. :dunno:

I realize that this is a very subjective question, but what makes the difference in the two areas? Congestion, amenities, beach access, the beach itself, etc...?

As always, thanks for helping me out.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Hello folks,
When I've been down to SoWal, we've rented in Santa Rosa, between Gulf Place and Blue Mountain beach (Old Florida Beach). I normally come down with the wife and daughters. This year, we're bringing two other families with us and I'm looking to get something bigger. It seems like you get a lot more for your money in the Seagrove beach area. :dunno:

I realize that this is a very subjective question, but what makes the difference in the two areas? Congestion, amenities, beach access, the beach itself, etc...?

As always, thanks for helping me out.

Interesting question since according to the post office there is none.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
No Incorporated Cities in SoWal

There are no incorporated cities in South Walton. Walton County's three incorporated cities, DeFuniak Springs, Paxton and Freeport are all north of the bay. Here in SoWal, historical communities and resorts make up the bulk of identifiable areas. Boundaries in many cases are vague. We do have several zip codes (we lost our Pt. Washington zip, too bad). 32550 is the Sandestin area for instance. There is a post office named Santa Rosa with a zip of 32459. That is the official zip many of us are stuck with even though we don't live in what we consider "Santa Rosa Beach." In the middle of this zip code, Seaside PO has its own zip.

The TDC now defines and divides the beach into about 15 communites. You can connect and check them out in that format from the top of this page. Now keep in mind a number of us old times who live on Eastern Lake, don't consider it to be "Seagrove" as we remember when there wasn't much between Old Seagrove and neighborhoods east. Some new people and others use Seagrove for various reasons.

The question you might ask would be, "What is the difference between Gulf Place and Old Seagrove?" Old Seagrove does have its own unique feel and is easy walking distance to Seaside and a short bike ride to WaterColor, other independent restaurants and coastal dune lakes. Each of the resorts do have their defined boundaries and unique characteristics. The Seagrove area is closer to Pier Park in Panama City Beach, Bay County, or if you want to visit Gulf World. All are great, just depends on your interests. You might want to try all The Beaches of South Walton before you pick your favorite! Just remember that Destin, Okaloosa County, is NOT part of SoWal and is in the next county over. Don't be confused.

Price and value are wide.

Last edited:
We prefer Seagrove just because it's in the middle of the 30A corridor. So you are close to to the more popular areas and restaurants in Grayton (love it), Seaside, and Rosemary, as well as in Seagrove. If you like Destin and its chain restaurants, chain retail stores, Santa Rosa Beach is closer to those, but a long drive (relatively speaking) to the heart of 30A. And most people have those chains at home, so they want a different experience when they come to the beach.

Last edited:

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Sandestin area is technically a resort and not a town or city; Miramar Beach is the 32550 area which runs from the Walton Co/Okaloosa Co line to where ever the 32459 zip code starts - Mack Bayou?? I can't remember where right now. (not trying to step on toes here...) :blush:

When we moved here I lived in Destin with the 32541 zip code until we got a post office and then all of a sudden I no longer lived in Destin, but Miramar Beach. Go figure. :dunno:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I'm a "foreigner" who has stayed in both places, and don't think that there is a quality of life difference between staying in the two places. To me, the area west of Grayton is quieter and more laid back. You can ride a bike on the path (no debates about the bike path, please) and have a long, virtually uninterrupted ride. The beaches don't have a lot of people on them. Easy to relax--I like it when I'm coming down there to read books, eat in, and be by myself.

East of Grayton is a bit busier. It's closer to the Watercolor Publix (consult jdarg and her posse for today's specials) and convenient for going to see what's playing at the Rep. A bit more traffic because it's closer to all the good stuff.

Either way, you're in paradise. Don't be afraid of going to Seagrove instead. You'll still have a wonderful time, but it might be a little more fun!

smcdon2

Beach Comber
Jan 18, 2007
Cincinnati, OH.
Thanks

Thanks to all for the input. I know that no matter where we go along 30A, we'll have a relaxing vacation in a wonderful place.

The winter in Cincinnati is already getting to me, so it's going to be tough waiting another 5 months :cry:

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
We've been vacationing for 4-5 years in Seagrove and we love it. I've found the best combo of price and quality to be in the Seagrove area, it's not crowded or congested and there are nice amenities in Seagrove itself: Market Cafe, Goatfeathers Fish Market, Flip Flops, bike and kayak rentals, just to name a few. Publix is just around the corner and there's a Tom Thumb in the middle of Seagrove. It's an easy drive to anywhere on 30A since it's in the middle. Also, you can bike to Seaside in just a few minutes and do a little walking around and shopping.

Last year we did have friends rent in the Magnolia Cottages in the Seacrest area and they were even more affordable than Seagrove, new homes and quite nice but pretty close together. These were about 5 minutes east of Seagrove.

Happy travels!