• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
This is our first year renting our condo. For those of you with more experience under your belts, when do your rental inquiries and reservations start coming in? Do people tend to reserve months in advance, or is it typically closer to the time they intend to visit? Or a mix?

On another train of thought--what do you do in the way of follow-up after someone's rented from you? A thank-you e-mail? Any follow-up a year later to encourage them to reserve again?

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Inquiries really pick up after Jan 1st for Spring/ Summer. Pet owners seem to be the most organized planners from our experience. The majority of our guests inquire/ reserve 8 - 10 weeks out minimum, but it never ceases to amaze me the large # if folks who wait until the last minute to inquire, expecting to find vacancy! :dunno:

Thank you emails have worked great for encouraging repeat guests.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
You should start to see inquiries coming in now. My biggest time has been the first two weeks of February but this year I have had more than usual in January. Some people may wait until the last minute to see what the weather is going to do. I have found a company that offers rental insurance that I now give my guests. I can't do it through my rental but they can acquire it on their own. I have had guests go ahead and book with that piece of mind.

I always have an email waiting on them once they arrive home. I ask them how their stay was, if the home had everything they needed, the cleaniness of the home, etc. I always get great ideas for things that they would love to see in our home and also the positives about our home. I have an email list of those guests who have stayed before, and those that have inquired but did not stay. I email a reminder letter that we are beginning our booking season and not to forget about our home.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Wastin Away said:
You should start to see inquiries coming in now. My biggest time has been the first two weeks of February but this year I have had more than usual in January. Some people may wait until the last minute to see what the weather is going to do. I have found a company that offers rental insurance that I now give my guests. I can't do it through my rental but they can acquire it on their own. I have had guests go ahead and book with that piece of mind.

I always have an email waiting on them once they arrive home. I ask them how their stay was, if the home had everything they needed, the cleaniness of the home, etc. I always get great ideas for things that they would love to see in our home and also the positives about our home. I have an email list of those guests who have stayed before, and those that have inquired but did not stay. I email a reminder letter that we are beginning our booking season and not to forget about our home.

I don't own a beach rental, but if I did, I would be using the follow-up survey/email to gather useful input from my rentors as Wastin Away does. Also, I would lock in this years rates to that rentor if they wanted to rebook with me for next year withing two weeks of their previous stay. Some people vacation here more than once per year, and for anyone wanting to rebook within two weeks for a stay at a later time in the same year, I would offer them a discount (maybe 15%). Take care of your repeats, and word of mouth advertising will take care of itself.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
SJ, I give a $100.00 discount each year someone stays with me and if they stay twice in one year they get the discount for the second stay. I have had some guests who are on their third year with me and are at $300.00. I also give a $75.00 referral fee is someone refers our home and that person books the home. It is good for any stay. Typically the guests just use it towards their stay coming up. It has really worked great.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Wastin Away said:
SJ, I give a $100.00 discount each year someone stays with me and if they stay twice in one year they get the discount for the second stay. I have had some guests who are on their third year with me and are at $300.00. I also give a $75.00 referral fee is someone refers our home and that person books the home. It is good for any stay. Typically the guests just use it towards their stay coming up. It has really worked great.
I think those are great ideas, but be careful with whom you share the info in bold. I think you could get into some problems with some peeps, no gov acencies mentioned as not to draw attention. ;-) I could be wrong, but be careful what you call it in a line item breakout.

I, too, always take care of people with whom I do repeat business. It is my personal policy and keeps customers pleased and saying good things.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Mermaid: In my expeirence, spring/summer rentals start around Jan/Feb, though they aren't in full swing yet (at least not for me). I find that they pick up during weekends and Mondays after people have had a chance to talk to their families and friends. You may want to offer a discount to get people to your place initially and say that you are new owners.

I often call our guests on their second day there to see if everything is going well. That way, I can hear first-hand if there are any problems so they can be fixed. (95% of the time they are very satisfied and appreciate the personal call and the rest of the time I can help them solve any problem they have or make it up to them in some way that they appreciate.) Also, I let them know that if they stay in our place again, we'd offer them a discount for future stays as a preferred guest (they would get last year's rates).

I should start emailing guests to find out how their stay was -- that's a very good idea.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
Mermaid: In my expeirence, spring/summer rentals start around Jan/Feb, though they aren't in full swing yet (at least not for me). I find that they pick up during weekends and Mondays after people have had a chance to talk to their families and friends. You may want to offer a discount to get people to your place initially and say that you are new owners.

I often call our guests on their second day there to see if everything is going well. That way, I can hear first-hand if there are any problems so they can be fixed. (95% of the time they are very satisfied and appreciate the personal call and the rest of the time I can help them solve any problem they have or make it up to them in some way that they appreciate.) Also, I let them know that if they stay in our place again, we'd offer them a discount for future stays as a preferred guest (they would get last year's rates).

I should start emailing guests to find out how their stay was -- that's a very good idea.

Sounds like you have been taking notes from Ritz Carlton. What a great proactive thing to do. Correct the problem before the rentor has a chance to be dissappointed, or at least make it up to them in a way they feel is fair. :clap_1: I have not heard of this being done, but I think it could make your place a notch above the norm.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks, SJ. I've heard that unsatisfied customers often don't complain to the owner, they just tell all their friends. They also tell their friends about their great experiences.

I've also heard that if you have an unsatisfied customer and you fix the problem better than they expected, you can actually increase their loyalty because most people understand that "things happen" and it's how you handle it that will earn or break their trust.