• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
One approved north of bay and One approved south.

It will be very, very interesting to trace the lines of who is actually awarded these two (2) multi million dollar licenses by the County.

Remember, follow the money... This plan has been in place for a long time.

Good Times Comin'

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Did they specifically say south of the bay or are the suburbs of Freeport included? This is one of those times where you don't really need to have one in the North end and one in the South end. It's hard to even have a vegetable garden that produces well down here.
My best friend husband's family has a medicinal marijuana farm in Michigan. I wish they could get a contract here, as they are familiar with how to properly operate within the law.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Did they specifically say south of the bay or are the suburbs of Freeport included? This is one of those times where you don't really need to have one in the North end and one in the South end. It's hard to even have a vegetable garden that produces well down here.
My best friend husband's family has a medicinal marijuana farm in Michigan. I wish they could get a contract here, as they are familiar with how to properly operate within the law.

Plenty of "Crops" up north. Just ask Quinn. ;)

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think there is difference between a dispensary and a nursery. There will be limited amount of nurseries throughout the state as I understood the law.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I think there is difference between a dispensary and a nursery. There will be limited amount of nurseries throughout the state as I understood the law.

Yes, Nursery Grows, Dispensary Sells.

Don't have any area here for high quality bud in Walton. Would have to be Hydroponic. Maybe some room up north with the skunk weed crops.

As for Dispensary, locations to sell will be interesting. Anyone notice how many VAPE shops opened in the past two years?

One on 331 in Freeport, on on 30a Seagrove and who knows how many north of Freeport / Bay?

Wonder if that is a precursor to a Cannabis Dispensary License with some Red Tape Gone...?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
The ordinance limits the number of dispensaries to two, with one to be located north of the bay and one south of the bay.

By DEBORAH WHEELER

Walton Board of County Commissioners voted Tuesday morning to accept the County Attorney’s ordinance of the state’s legalization of medical marijuana.

Assistant County Attorney Sidney Noyes presented the ordinance to commissioners regulating dispensing of the drug. The ordinance limits the number of dispensaries to two, with one to be located north of the bay and one south of the bay.

The criteria guiding location of the dispensaries will be the same as what guides the location of places that serve alcohol, such as the number of feet it can be located from churches, schools or day cares.

Advertising for the dispensaries cannot be cartoonish in design.

The board heard recommendations from citizens such as James Hurley, a Walton County resident, law enforcement officer and a member of a prevention group.

He urged the board to run a background check each time the operator of the dispensary applies for license renewal.

Hurley also asked commissioners to add recreational centers to the list of places the dispensaries cannot be close to, and to fund and develop curriculum to educate school children about marijuana.

In addition, Hurley asked that operators not be allowed to give out promotional items, and the operator meet a minimum age requirement.

Noyes will bring back an amended ordinance to the board for approval, but the moratorium that Walton County had requested expired last weekend.

“This ordinance had to be written before I could get input on it,” said District 3 Commissioner Melanie Nipper.

However, Noyes said the dispensaries fall under the criteria set by the state of Florida.

“We are preempted by the state. We can be more restrictive as long as we are not in conflict with state,” she said.

Noyes said the county will be guided by the Compassionate Use Act, with established guidelines. The rules for Walton County will be similar.

“It requires patients be on a list,” she said.

Noyes advised commissioners to move forward in adopting the criteria so there would be no gap and changes can be made later.

There were also speakers against adopting the ordinance, with two of those being pastors of local churches.

After Pastor Ben Barton pled with commissioners to not adopt the ordinance as he believed it would destroy families and innocent lives, District 5 Commissioner Tony Anderson tried to explain that this is an ordinance to control the sale.

“This is an amendment to the constitution and not something the county chose to do, but must do or we all go to jail,” Anderson said. “This ordinance is to keep them as restricted as possible. What we’re trying to do is do our job to restrict access to children. It’s not that I necessarily agree with the amendment.”

Physician Carolyn Zonia also tried to explain that medical marijuana is to ease the pain and suffering of individuals and is under the control of physicians, which is not the same as recreational marijuana.

However, Pastor R.W. White said as a pastor for 40 years and dealing with suffering humanity, and drugs at an all-time high in Walton County, he said his heart goes out to all who are suffering.

“I am for people who are suffering to get relief any way they can. But I want to encourage you to put as much serious thought into this to make it as difficult to get as we can so not to get out in Walton County,” he said.

Noyes assured them that dispensaries are regulated by the state.

Anderson made the motion to accept the ordinance, and then Noyes can get with Hurley to possibly include his suggestions.

The motion passed unanimously.

www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20170527/walton-co-accepts-ordinance-regulating-medical-pot

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
Don't have any area here for high quality bud in Walton. Would have to be Hydroponic

Funny you mention this. There is a hydroponic nursery being built in a residential neighborhood just south of Freeport off of hwy 3280. Not sure how they got this in a residential neighborhood, but it`s there. I think it`s called Blue Farms. I`ll have to look at the sign again when I drive by. Beginning to wonder if this might be connected somehow.