1. Hello everyone - with recent Forum upgrade, here are a few issues you may need help with. Thanks for your patience!

- some accounts with same email address were merged. So if you have any login issues, send us a message with your username and email address and we'll sort it out.
    - the Forum App is no longer needed and has been disabled. The site is now mobile-friendly. Just browse to http://SoWal.com/forum"> on your phone's browser and tap "add to home screen".
    - Click Here for help, more info, and to post questions / give feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Vote For These Commissioners Again Knowing What They Don't know?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Misty, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Misty

Misty Beach Fanatic

2. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Walton/Okaloosa County and a little south alabama
    Amazing isn't it?:blush:

3. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Kinda explains why they settled out of court.

4. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I suppose it depends on whose running, doesn't it?

5. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

Could anyone else really do any worse. I am certainly willing to give them a chance.

6. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

That may be true. So lets say Gordon Porter, or Rabbit Miles, Quinn McMillian, Lane Reese, Tim Pauls, Cindy Meadows, Herman Walker or the like decided to run. Now I'm not saying any or all these former elected officials are bad, some I even voted for, but just saying if your willing to give them a shot because you don't think any of them could do any worse may seriously want to reconsider how you select a candidate because I would venture to guess someone has something bad to say about all of them.

7. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

8. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

All of you who won't file to run remember one thing. Each Commissioner is only one vote. If you have a complaint, file for office.

9. Abby Prentiss

Abby Prentiss Beach Fanatic

Most politicians these days aren't well educated. At least not more than the rest of us. They follow policies the best they can, and don't know when they are flawed. They do things the way their predecessors did them. When someone challenges them in a lawsuit, they are told to keep their mouth shut and play dumb. Blame the lawyers and the system first people. You should all take a long look in the mirror before throwing stones.

10. Misty

Misty Beach Fanatic

Of course it's old news! The video is CLEARLY marked OCT-09. But it seems history is doomed to repeat itself if we learn nothing from the mistakes of the past. Susan Harris is currently involved in yet another lawsuit with our County Commissioners over Sunshine Laws. How much will this jewel cost? And as long as people are willing to continue to vote for this kind of incompetence, the taxpayers will continue to shuck out the big bucks for it.

11. Misty

Misty Beach Fanatic

Quoting Abby;

If this county is willing to settle for uneducated, then we got just exactly what we deserve in the form of lawsuits.
    They are elected and paid to know.
    They are predecessors for a reason.
    The BCC is currently making decisons in regard to hiring a new county attorney. If playing dumb and keeping their mouths shut is all the taxpayers expect from our BCC then we should just hand the Adkinson law firm the keys to the county coiffures and allow them to write their own paychecks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  12. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Regardless of what others may say, most of this is right on mark. What some do not realize is that "not well educated" does not necessarily relate to "dumb". A lot of well educated people would not make good representatives of the people. Some seem to think that once you are elected to office, you cease being a human being and become a deity or some sort of superbeing. It is not so. Some of you who are screaming the loudest need to do a little research or call your Commissioner, express your views and have a little chat with them. You might be surprised at what you might learn.

13. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

In answer to your question, yes, there are probably many who could do worse, and would. That said, there is not an incumbent running this time I would vote for. By the same token, I am very tired and frustrated by those who seem to have more money than sense and hire a lawyer at the drop of a hat to sue US, THE TAXPAYER. The county is US and when it is sued friviously, it costs US money in tax dollars.

14. Misty

Misty Beach Fanatic

Been there, done that. Not surpised at all by the "I don't know" answers either.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Funny. You must talk to different Commissioners than I do. I had a long "chat" with one today about the rape of our beach by the large dirt haulers. I got no "I don't know's" nor do I usually. What I do get when it is "I don't know, is I don't know but I'll find out and let you know". Maybe you should try "go there, try again" instead of "been there, done that".

16. kurt

kurt Admin Staff Member

Thanks Andy.

17. mdd88jd

mdd88jd Beach Lover

Present company excluded I hope:D..... assuming I run again, which I really have not yet decided. Running for office is time consuming, can be expensive and if elected (be careful what you ask for), is hard on your family. Having said all of that, I have enjoyed being an elected official... and hope I have served well.

18. Misty

Misty Beach Fanatic

I've heard you were thinking of coming out again.

19. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

You are the only incumbent in any race that I would vote for. You have done a fine job and I hope you will continue to serve. Funny that a conservative Republican will only vote to reelect a Democrat in a county full of elected Republicans isn't it? But I think you are far more conservative than our elected RINOS in this county.

20. idlewind

idlewind Beach Fanatic

I am not crazy about the lawsuits either. I prefer the vote um all out and give someone else a chance to do better approach.