Join Us For SoWal Beach Cleanup on July 5th
June 22, 2012 by SoWal Staff
The South Walton Community Council (SWCC) and South Walton’s Tourist Development Council (TDC) invite locals and visitors to participate in SWCC’s annual July 5th beach cleanup in South Walton. Locations included are Blue Mountain, Van Ness Butler Beach Access between Seaside and Watercolor, Dune Allen, Ed Walline, Grayton Beach, Inlet Beach, Miramar Beach, Rosemary Beach, and Seagrove Beach.
The cleanup efforts will take place from 7-9 AM Thursday, July 5th. Over 100 people donated their time last year to gather nearly 120 bags of trash. SWCC volunteers will provide bags, gloves and water for volunteers at each of the designated beach accesses, indicated by white “Beach Clean-Up” signs. Volunteers will each receive a free t-shirt donated by the SWCC.
Volunteers are also encouraged to organize a clean-up effort at their nearest beach access. Those participating should follow a few general safety guidelines.
• Please pick up only man-made debris.
• Do not disturb natural vegetation or natural debris such as June grass, as it often provides valuable nesting benefits to shorebirds and other wildlife.
• Do not place debris in the dunes or above the high water line.
• Do not use equipment such as rakes, shovels or tractors.
• Carry your collected bags of trash off the beach and dispose of them or place them at a TDC garbage collection point on the beach. Recyclables can be disposed of at designated recycling trailers located throughout South Walton.
• Be mindful of wildlife. Do not disturb any shorebird, seabird or turtle nesting areas.
• Keep out of posted dune areas.
The South Walton Community Council is a 501(c) 3 organization focusing on protecting, preserving and enhancing the quality of life in South Walton. For more information, contact the South Walton Community Council at 314-3749, follow us on Facebook or visit our website, www.southwaltoncc.org.