• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jkgdesign

Beach Crab
Feb 13, 2006
Has anyone ever been scammed on "damage" to a vacation rental? I know that alot of people abuse vacation rentals. We do not! I have been vacationing in SoWal for over ten years. Always a good experience with rental agencies. This one was not! I planned a last minuet trip to SoWal. I could not find a retnal so I went on VRBO. I posted what I wanted to pay fr 12 nights. I got a reply to accept my price. The home slept 12, I only needed to sleep 4 but the price was the same if I rented a unit that slept 4. We checked in, the home was beautiful. There was 2 master bedrooms & baths, a queen bedroom with bath, a bunk bedroom. My 24 year old took the second master suite, my 20 year old took the queen.

The 24 year olds bedroom was on a seperate floor. I only went in the bedroom once when we checked in to see who got what bedroom.

The last time I went in there was to remove the sheets for the cleaning service.

I cleaned the unit, washed all towels and folded them. Ran the vacuum, bought cleaning supplies and I kept the home cleaner than it was when we checked in!

My husband and 24 year old could only stay 6 nights, that left that big home to my 20 year old and myself.

We checked out a week later on a friday. On Saturday morning very early, the reantal office manager called and said that booze bottles were left everywhere! Not true, and that the bedspread that was in the bedroom where my 24 year old stayed in was "trashed". I was shocked! I explained that I was a "neat freek" I told him I cleaned, vaccummed, washed and folded all towels, I even scrubbed the master bedroom shower because it was so scummy! He was very rude and told me that he had already ran through 300.00 to replace the spread! The bedspreads were from Target, I know, I shop there often. I told him I could purchase the exact bed spread for $69.00 and I would mail it next day air! He said that he already purchased one. I thought I was at his mercy, his work against mine. I hung up the phone very mad.

As I thought about it, I realized he needed to prove this bed spread was trashed. I phoned him back and asked for him to email me pictures. He said sure and emailed them that very moment. He didn't say, okay but give me time to go over and take these pictures. He already had them, why?

When I showed my 24 year old - said, no those tares where already on the spread, they were on the under side. and also said, I did not use the spread, the room was too hot at night.

My 20 year old said the same, the tares were there.
My parents also vacationed with us but stayed elsewhere. When they met us at the rental unit when we checked in, my mother went into the master bedroom to check it out and saw the tares, since my 24 year old folded it back already. My mother later told me when I told her about what the rental company did to me. She confirmed and said , no I saw the tare and wandered why such a nice home had such "ratty" bedding!
Then I looked at my check-out receipt and I was charged for an extra day!

That was it,I called my credit card company and filed a complaint, they placed a hold on the $300.00 and the extra night charge. I am waiting to see what happens!

Sorry so long winded!

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
:welcome: Gizmo

It sounds like the property you rented receives a lot of heavy use during peak season, and that it may have been time to change out the bedspreads (and a few other items) any way. It is possible the management company is using you as the scapegoat to replace a bedspread that was damaged from a prior guest.

From an owner's perspective, I don't see this as a big deal - it falls under the heading: 'normal wear and tear after a busy season' IMO. Many owners factor these type of replacement costs into their annual budget just in case.

If the credit card investigation doesn't go your way, and/ or the management company does not change their position, my advice is to contact the owner directly if at all possible, to explain your side. They may or may not be receptive to your call, since they hired a management company to handle these type of situations, but perhaps it's worth a try. I suspect most owners would hear you out, and be reasonable.

There are countless stories on this msg board about owners who have been burned by guests (and management companies), so you may very well hear other viewpoints.

As an owner myself - I would want to hear from my guest in this situation, esp. if they feel they are being wrongly accused, then I could settle the issue amicably.

Hope that helps!

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
I would do a charge back on my credit card, ASAP. As an owner of a vacation rental, I'm acutely aware that 'stuff happens.' It's a cost of doing business. Unless it's abuse pure and simple, you don't worry about it.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
It was a VRBO yet there's a management company involved? I don't understand...
Many owners utilize a 'hybrid' system: they promote and book their properties in concert with the management company, and also utilize the management company for check-in/ check-out and often cleaning and/ or inspection services as well.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:blush: thanks....

It was a VRBO yet there's a management company involved? I don't understand...

Many owners utilize a 'hybrid' system: they promote and book their properties in concert with the management company, and also utilize the management company for check-in/ check-out and often cleaning and/ or inspection services as well.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Has anyone ever been scammed on "damage" to a vacation rental?
Sorry so long winded!

Well, seems like the management companies want to stick it to both the guests and the owners! When I had a management company for a condo I used to own, they never once charged a guest for any damages (which were considerable) and I had to eat them every time. Many (if not most) owners already hate "management" companies, and most of listings on VRBO are for owners who don't use them. Looks like you just got unlucky. You did the right thing to dispute the charges. I would hate to think that guests have to take pictures of a rental to prove the condition it was in before and after they used it, but maybe that isn't such a bad idea!

Here's a good example of what can happen: I had a dining chair that a guest (some time ago, apparently) had apparently allowed to get soaking wet causing the seat to warp and crack, (probably left outside in the rain.) The chair seat had to be replaced later down the road after that because the cracked seat finally broke. This year one of my guests reported that another one just like it had broken. Did I get upset? No, because I already knew the history of these chairs. I reassured my guest not to worry, because it was just normal wear and tear. That guest's honesty and prompt report of the problem spared them from worrying about it further, (and I highly recommend everyone do that!)

Next time you are on VRBO, try to rent directly from an owner. You will probably save money and avoid this problem in the future. I am an owner that rents directly and I have never once had a disagreement with a guest over anything or had anyone leave any significant damage. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I remember breaking a glass during a stay at Seaside and immediately calling to report it. I think they thought I was crazy!!!